Mikey got a new camera.......Updated May 2008

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
matias
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by matias »

Hey Mike--nice pics...you ever fly with Ryan Goldman. He is my buddy and he is an FO for Express Jet out of IAH.

Note--those hornets probably said blue blasters instead of blue blazers. That is a squad based out at Oceana.

Thanks
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Nope, never heard of him.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Say Mike, have you made that transition to 737's yet?

Ron
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

No, I'm waiting on Southwest to call. With the age 65 law passing last month, that throws a big monkey wrench into things for me. I might go to training this year, I might not. If I do it will be in the second half of 2008. So I continue to swim in the hiring pool until then. That in combination with $100/barrel oil has really put the brakes on their hiring/training. In fact I just found out that they do not plan to interview anyone for all of 2008. To further complicate matters, 20 or so already retired SW pilots, who had to retire under the age 60 mandatory age requirement, have re-applied to work there again. So.........I litterally have no idea when I might get a call for a class date.

At least I have a good job to chill out at until then. Only problem is that I bid all three of my vacation weeks in January and February of this year thinking I wouldn't be around for much longer.

Oh well.........more time to work on MAIW projects.
-Mike G.

Makadocias
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by Makadocias »

Switch jobs mate?
You become salesman at Schiphol at the TAX FREE area and I'll go flying Embraers :)
I'd love too :wink:

Would be nice but I'm not good at maths, sience etc. which is a must for becoming a REAL pilot.....

That's why I love FS so much.......... here I can fly! 8)
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Sorry to hear that, but on the other hand, I was afraid that the issues mentioned might lead to layoff's of newbe's, some perhaps you are safer where you are for the moment. IAC you're still flying, and every mile flown is another mile closer to the big jets. Hang in, and best wishes!

On another note, that means that the opportunity may still come up for you to snap some pic's for me of both civil and military terminals airside at Robert Gray some day, time permitting, and if you ever return there. I was able to get a good many pic's from the parking lot side, and a few from inside to model windows, etc. My camera isn't up to long distance of any detail of the military terminal, but have a general idea to work with, and of course GE. Can't do more than vague textures with what I have. Flew in and out of there recently, but wasn't able to get window seat, so no pic's were taken. I may never get anywhere with this project, but then again, who knows!

Ron
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

Sorry to hear your plans have become a bit unstuck Mike. If it makes you feel any better the UK has undergone a similar thing recently. Many of my civilian colleagues who were due to retire at 60 have applied to extend to 65, oddly enough it may work in my favour as it's not in my best interest to retire from the Army until I'm 50 (Dec 09).

However, what we've found is that many of those who applied to work until 65 actually retire way before that, one only carried on for 6 months! He decided he'd rather be retired. It's quite amusing to see them come to work on public transport for a change using their newly acquired bus passes.

What has changed a lot is the additional tests potential employees now have to undertake, such as psychological and psychometric analysis (that's me scuppered . :P ).
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Here's a teaser from my next to last trip at ExpressJet. I'm finally going to training with SWA in a couple weeks. So by July I should be out flying again, this time taking pictures from the right seat of a 737.

Took this out in Tuscon yesterday waiting to depart. The pattern was literally full of F-16s. The poor tower controller had his hands full, I was in heaven! :D

A nice surprise indeed, from the UAE Air Force, here's a Block 60 "Big Spine" F-16 sitting in the runup area ready for another training sortie.

I'll post my other pictures tomorrow.

-Mike G.

CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by CrazyDunc »

I Like :D
Regards,
Dunc
Paul
Captain
Captain

Post by Paul »

Great pic Mike, and congratulations.

Paul
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Nice pics mike. really enjoy looking at them.
Barry
Barry