Where to find vintage US military AI or static acft?

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
JonBuck
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Where to find vintage US military AI or static acft?

Post by JonBuck »

Am looking for vintage US military acft from WWII and even some pre-war AI acft to use for traffic and also to stand in for parked aircraft since I haven't been able to find any static versions. Purpose is to make some of the military fields in my home state look like they did as I was growing up during the war. Sort of a return to my boyhood, so to speak. But there seems to be very little usable vintage AI acft avail, or am I not searching in the right place.

Where should I look...any suggenstions :?: :?:

Jon B :wink:
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Jon,I've some WWII multi-LOD aircraft that I use as AI, but they are Italian and German (Macchi 202,Fiat G 50,G 55,CR 42,Me 109,FW 190,Me 262). All of them are model originally created for CFS2 and "reconfigured" for FS9.
I've also tried to use some default CFS2 model like Corsair, P 38 and Liberator and they do their job....fly :D.
For these aircraft there are also a lot of repaint.
Why don't give them a try?

Suggested place for searching are :
http://www.simviation.com/menu.html
http://www.fswarbirds.com/index.php?page=fs2k4
and obviously Avsim and Flightsim.

Ciao.

P.S. Some of my shot here http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1144
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

You will find some usable AI models of transfport a/c from that period at this site: http://www.calclassic.com/

I don't know if you will be able to find the needed repaints, but think there will be repaint kits available - nice project to start learning a new skill.

Ron
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Hi Jon,I remember there is a package for Duxford Airshow that has some interesting model.
Wildcat,Hellcat,Corsair,B 25,Avenger,Dauntless and other, all of them multi-LOD.
Downloaded from FSFrance.com,but I don't know if that site is still active.

Try to search on the other sites,and if you don't find it, drop me a PM with your e-mail.

When I'll be back from my trip to Normandy, I'll send it.

Ciao.
Misha_K

Post by Misha_K »

You'll find some packages for the Battles of Midway and the Coral Sea >here< that include relevant AI aircraft. Haven't tested these myself yet, but the aircraft are multi LOD and look pretty neat in ACM.
Last edited by Misha_K on 14 Jun 2008, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Hey Jon,

I have used planes from MS Combat Flight Simulator some. They work pretty well as AI. Mainly Combat FS II (Pacific Theatre). They are all multi LOD and you can pick up additional paints at Avsim. They're payware of course but if you can find them they are pretty cheap at this point. :)

The Planes from CFS I don't seem to work as well in FS 9 but the ones from CFS III (Europe WWII) probably would work fine but I have not tried them. If you do, let me know the result. :)
JonBuck
Cadet
Cadet

Post by JonBuck »

Thanks for all your responses, gents...I'll give your suggestions a try.
However it looks like there are very few AI acft from the WWII period available,so I'll just have to make do with what little I can find.

Thanks again.

Jon B :wink:
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Hi Jon,

Here are some screenies of the a/c in MS Combat Flight Simulator II (WWII Pacific Theatre). They are all multi-LOD (some have as many as 8 LOD's) and the shots are all of the planes being used as AI in FS9. Generaly they perform well, but there are a couple that have a little trouble landing. I think they would work great as parked a/c. They are payware, however, but the price has dropped a lot since its probably at least 5 years old.

There is also a F4F, B-25, TBD, and about 7 Japanese planes. Also, I think there are some repaints at Avsim.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

So, I'm interested in this. I have both CFS2/3. Can you point me to a good tutorial on how to convert these a/c to FS9 AI? I've had a look around using google, but haven't found anything worth mentioning.

Ron
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

I just copied and pasted them into the FS9 Aircraft folder, made up some flightplans and let them go. :) LLike I said, some of them may need .air file tweaking, but I haven't bothered with it.

Let me know how the cfs 3 planes work. I know that the cfs 1 planes are not very satifsctory.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Jake, the CFS3 aircraft files are really different from fs9/CFS2. However the a/c are created using gMax, so perhaps there is hope if someone who really knows something has a look-see.

The various file extension types in see in a folder are:
.bdp, .dds, .m3d (I've seen this somewhere before), .mos, and .xpd.

There are not the normal subfolders inside the a/c folder, except the sound folder. There are less numbers of files in what I think are user flyable a/c than in what I think are AI aircraft.

I have downloaded the SDK and will poke around in there and inside more of the standard folders to see what turns up, but this could be far to difficult a project just to gain all of those great models for limited AI use. OTOH?

Ron
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

I have both CFS2 and CFS3 aircraft being used as AI. Just add the cfg title line like you would any other aircraft.
But, you give up a bit on the looks side. Which is to say, the CFS2 aircraft are very frame rate friendly but they don't always look that good.
CFS3 a/c are a bit better looking and still easy on the frames. But, I have had some problems getting certain aircraft to show.
It's a bit of a trial and error method I'd say.
Kevin Jarvis