RAF Harrier Crash

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

RAF Harrier Crash

Post by CrazyDunc »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leic ... 457288.stm

Was a Female NSW Pilot, Callsign "Spider 1"

Quote:
13.46L "spider 1 has ejected" 369.3500Mhz Just before that 'no idea what my rpm is'

All i have for you atm, will pass on Knowledge of Serials and what not as i get them, thank god she's aright.

EDIT:

Early indications are its : ZD408/37A
Regards,
Dunc
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Always grateful to hear the pilot made it out.

Ron
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by nickblack423 »

In the light of the fact that the pilot is safe I think I can be allowed to be light hearted and say

"BLOODY WOMEN DRIVERS!!!"

Seriously though, glad she's ok, and as always she did a great job not hurting anyone on the ground.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I echo the sentiments expressed; glad to hear she's OK too. Funny how the "oh so politically correct" Bbc repeatedly refer to the pilot as "he", no prejudice there, then!

So was this an RN or RAF Harrier?
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

Its a RAF Harrier Flying with the NSW.

Dunc
Regards,
Dunc
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

There arent any such things as RN and RAF Harriers anymore. They are all one big fleet, and they dont really even adhere to any particular squadron either, as you can see from the MAIW UK Harriers package. They were a bugger to sort out.

Death traps though. I bet they're fun to fly but I'd feel a little nervous as pilot of one every time. There was a report I saw somewhere here that some guy in america wrote when a US Pilot died in an AV8B, calling for them to be scrapped as they are dangerous.

Nick
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

nickblack423 wrote:... AV8B, calling for them to be scrapped as they are dangerous.

Nick
Yep, military aviation is the most safe occupation to take up :roll: If they can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

CelticWarrior wrote:Yep, military aviation is the most safe occupation to take up :roll: If they can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
I'm not sure that's what was being implied. Perhaps the point was that the age of the aircraft coupled with the particular stresses a VSTOL aircraft might incur has weathered the aircraft to such a point that it is considered more dangerous than it should be.

Just spit ballin' though...
--Chris
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Well I dunno I cant find the report, but I think it was to do with the fact that the Harrier has already cost numerous lives and yet they leave it in service.

Dont get me wrong Im not moaning, the thing is superb and we run risks everyday, even crossing the road.

Nick
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Funny how the report above seemed to leave the impression that the a/c just crashed randomly into the ground and it was great good luck that no one was killed on the ground and no buildings were struck. However, if you play the news video, you see a rather long furrow, at the end of which is a broken Harrier, which has some, but not a lot, fire. It seems to me that she rode that thing down until she was sure of the impact point and clear direction of travel after impact, and I'll bet she punched out at the last available moment. I say she has 'The Right Stuff'. It will be interesting to see the final report, to see if all of this is confirmed.

Ron
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

ronniegj wrote:Funny how the report above seemed to leave the impression that the a/c just crashed randomly into the ground and it was great good luck that no one was killed on the ground and no buildings were struck. However, if you play the news video, you see a rather long furrow, at the end of which is a broken Harrier, which has some, but not a lot, fire. It seems to me that she rode that thing down until she was sure of the impact point and clear direction of travel after impact, and I'll bet she punched out at the last available moment. I say she has 'The Right Stuff'. It will be interesting to see the final report, to see if all of this is confirmed.

Ron
There are many "Fighter Chick" Pilots(Their own choice of words)

http://www.fighterchicks.com/history.html
GZR_SACTARGETS
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I've seen the site before. Very interesting. Things sure move along fast.

Just a few years ago 'Jag' did an episode where a female 'womens rights amendment' advocate Senator had pushed to have the Navy allow a basically unqualified woman into the Naval Aviator program, and of course the thrust of the program was 'damned woman driver' killed herself during night quals due to panic and too low an approach to the deck.

In Desert Storm it was a bit of an uproar when a couple of female aircrew died in action. That seems like yesterday - only 18 years - hell, Nam was only a couple of weeks ago!

Anyway, check the above site, follow a few links and watch these chicks fly.

Also, the VAW-113 or 116, whichever, YouTube video re: Pumpit!, or Hey, Ya!, has at least one a/c commander - female type (love that ponytail) - and now the newest thing on PBS, Aircraft Carrier, has a number of FA-18 jet jocks - female type. It's become the norm rather than the exception, in all branches.

Man has the world turned since my day! The gals (some, not all, anyway) have got what it takes! Here's to them :!: :!: :!:

Ron
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I heard on another site that she was in fact a he, an experienced Royal Navy pilot.