WWII bombs

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

WWII bombs

Post by sprocky »

As there are still bombs from World War II unexploded on the German territory there are experts that study older aerial images to find those bombs. Today two of them could be recovered while another two had to be demolished in place. Ironically they were dropped by UK bombers in an area in Osnabrueck were British soldiers lived until recently.

Maybe nothing for Americans but sure for the Europeans:

Do they still find WWII bombs in your country?
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Yes Jan, we still find German WW2 bombs in the UK. Not so many now but during the rebuilding of London during the 1960s a number were found deep underground.

I read a book by a local historian who said that many of the forced labourers in Nazi munition factories purposely sabotaged the fuses so they would not explode when dropped on Britain. It was their way of fighting the Nazis from within.

Cheers
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Yes for Italy.
Don't know how many per year, but this still happen.
Just few months ago, were found an american bomb less than 1 Km from my home, were during the war there were an Air Force depot.

Bye
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

Oh we find quite a few WWII bombs here in the US. Only difference is we dropped them on oursevles. See story below

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... s1012.html
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
bitburgeaglekeeper
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by bitburgeaglekeeper »

although not aerial bombs their are still mines dropped by U boats along the east coast, and also Japanese balloon bombs are found in Alaska, British Columbia, Washington State, and Origan from time to time