Scenery file VTPL ?

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
msm8378
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Scenery file VTPL ?

Post by msm8378 »

Can anyone tell me what the VTPL file in John Stinstrom's custom KRDU scenery does with the 1-130AVN package.

If I install it with the rest of the scenery my FS crashes. With it removed my FS works fine and the scenery appears to be complete....

Thanks in advance to any who can help...
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

That means you are missing two very important texture files. That file you are referring to is a scenery file that John uses to draw roads around his scenery. Those roads call a set of textures that he has custom made. Those two files should be in your FS9/Texture folder. Their names are Dark_Road.bmp and Dark_Road_LM.bmp.

Check that location for those two files. If they are missing, that's the cause of the CTD's.

They should be in the 1-130th package and they should have been placed automatically. If not install the package again to a temporary folder and get those two texture files then place them into your main FS9/Texture folder.

That should fix your issue.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
msm8378
Captain
Captain

Thanks

Post by msm8378 »

Thank you...

I just now installed the package to a temp folder and the textures you named are nowhere to be found. I am going to examine some other sceneries by JS that I don't have installed at the moment and go from there...at least now I know what the file is for...

:D
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Did you download it from AVSIM just now. I just downloaded it to make sure and those files are in there.
-Mike G.

msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

I d/l it the day it was initially released. I watch AVSIM like a "hawk" for the MAIW releases...I will d/l a fresh copy now...Thanks a bunch... :D
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Yea the original release was missing those two files. We uploaded a corrected version a couple days after the initial release. :wink:

Sorry about that.
-Mike G.

msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

Thank you again for the replies...

It never dawned on me that I may have jumped the gun when the package was first posted. It seems if memory serves one of the USN packages last summer had a couple of corrections made to it that required subsequent downloads. In the future I will try double-checking the download before "crying" for help, but it is interesting to know just what some of these files are basically for. I have not done much scenery design since FS2002 and FSSC. I am trying to catch up with FS2004 and have bought FSX but not real impressed with it. Hopefully, support for FS2004 will not be slowing anytime soon... 8)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

When John first started using those custom textures, we sort of forgot to make sure that each of his packages contained those two important textures. We never had CTD's while testing because we already had those textures from previous sceneries. So all of us missed the fact that those two textures were missing in that package.

Live and learn.... :roll:
-Mike G.