Installing MAIW packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by Ford Friendly »

Celtic Warrior wrote this...
http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2456
I am pretty sure THAT is what was being referencedb y "installation procedures".
Why waste 'trons for a snappy signature when I can use this?
ricktk
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by ricktk »

Thanks Ford.

Well, IMHO, it is important from an organization point of view, i.e. keeping your AI aircraft separate from your flyable aircraft. In my case, instead of a MAIW folder path under SimObjects, I made one called "AI Aircraft". Now you cannot just make the folder, and move the aircraft there. The sim will not know where to find those aircraft. That is the reason for the edit of the FSX.cfg file.

Now you do not have to do that. You can place all your aircraft in the Airplanes folder, without going through step#4. But eventually you get a super long list of aircraft models there, and organization becomes more difficult.

EDIT: Now that I look more closely at the "CW" post, I am not using the instuctions there from that post, but the updated one by Martin Grossmann at the Owl's Nest site: http://www.interkultur.de/gossmann/fsx/maiw.php I believe step 4 is the same in both, but have not checked it out.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

I believe that Owl's Nest is simply ALSO hosting that same file, originally posted/published here.

As far as separating ai from flyables, I agree that this is the way to go.

I went a step further than above. I have 3 separate AI folders - ai_civilian, ai_helos, and ai_military. While I could have had 2 separate ai_helo - 1 for ai_helos_civ and 1 for aI_helos_mil, there're currently not enough military helo's to warrant it.

This definitely makes things much easier for me to manage.
Last edited by Ford Friendly on 16 Mar 2009, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Flash34
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Flash34 »

Thanks for clearing up what step 4. meant ..I should of been more specific and mentioned MAIW package installation for fsx.
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

Ford Friendly wrote:I believe that Owl's Nest is simply ALSO hosting that same file, originally posted/published here.
Negative, Martin's guide is a far better offering than mine - it even has pictures! :shock:

Edited to add that I have removed my guide because people find it so difficult to use; I suggest people wishing to install MAIW packages in FSX use Martin's guide on his Owl's Nest website.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

CelticWarrior wrote:Negative, Martin's guide is a far better offering than mine - it even has pictures! :shock:
I guess I ought to go read it too then.. Learn soemthing new at least once a week. :lol: :lol:
Flash34
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Flash34 »

Has anyone had problems with FSX ai traffic ( GA and Airliners) showing up in FSX ?? I have the MAIW aircraft showing up but the rest of the rest of the traffic is not showing up. Yes all of my traffic sliders are up to 100%....
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

Did you convert the MAIW traffic bgl's to FSX format as per the instructions in converting MAIW packages to FSX from the Owl's Nest site?
If not, this can cause all other FSX traffic to disappear. See site URL above in this string.

If you go into your scenery\world\scenery folder, and temporarily move the MAIW traffic.bgl files out of that folder and restart FSX, see if the GA and airliner traffic reappear.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
Flash34
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Flash34 »

Thanks Rick ...I went back and followed the installation from the owl's nest and almost all of the packages are showing up. For some reason there are some aircraft in the UK that aren't showing up. I will have to go back and look at them. Aerosofts F-16 is a lot of fun to intercept with.

Derek
Dan Toelken
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Dan Toelken »

I am new at converting FS9 to FSX on the new convert fp_fp9_fpx. Under tab; Convert FP Select flightplan (TXT File) output Map: & Select flightplan (BGL file) output Map:
What do I put in both of this?
My FSX is in the normal place C:Program File/Microsoft Games
Thanks Dan
Flash34
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Flash34 »

Hi Dan ...this is my opinion but I would download the owl's nest installation directions for FSX. Celtic Warriors are good don't get me wrong. Both installation instructions are similar. But it seems like the flight plan converter in the owl's nest is a little easier to use. It helps to have seperate folders to put the MAIW files in. There are different ways to do it. But I had my traffic files before conversion on the d: drive and the converted files on the c: drive before moving them into FSX. All of this is explained in the Owl's nest directions. Good luck !
scott1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scott1 »

Can anyone tell why I can't get the ai aircraft at NAS Miramar to show up. I converted the flight plans and the aircraft are in the correct folder. I have also installed Tyndall AFB, Luke AFB, Hill AFB and Langley, all without any problems. Any thoughts from anybody would be most helpful. Thanks Scott1
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Have you activated the folder 'MAIW Miramar NAS' below ..\Addon Scenery in your scenery library?
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by scott1 »

Yes the scenery has been added to the list. Its #1.
ricktk
Captain
Captain

Post by ricktk »

Just thoughts, since not familiar with the Miramar package ( not installed).

Check the MAIW Support forum under the package and look at the posts. Might have been some problems when under FS9?

Next idea is the AFCAD. With the switch in sims, sometimes parking spaces need to be size adjusted. You can use AI Flight Planner to check the aircraft for their parking radius size needed.
Rick

gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

scott1 wrote:Yes the scenery has been added to the list. Its #1.
Scott, do you still have the problem? Since it worked for the other ones, I can only assume that something has happened when preparing the Topgun package.

Have you re-do that one already? What is the percentage setting for AI traffic?
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by scott1 »

Still having the problem have reinstalled the package tried converting the flight plans again. With no luck no aircraft show up. Ever other package that I've installed works great ai aircraft are there and flight plans are working all 10 other packages work great. I'm at a loss.
Scott1
scott1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scott1 »

Can anyone who has the top gun package installed in fsx send me a copy of your converted flight plans. My IA setting is set to the max. I have all the maiw packages installed in fsx. I have ai aircraft all over the world with no problems. I'm so confused. Thanks Scott1
juniboy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by juniboy »

Hi Cary. It 's about the guide but what do you mean by " Explorer" in the first step. If I get past that step, I am OK
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

juniboy wrote:Hi Cary. It 's about the guide but what do you mean by " Explorer" in the first step. If I get past that step, I am OK
Hi Juniboy,

Not sure if you are talking about Cary's or mine tutorial. Since I use 'Explorer' in step 1 I answer anyway. When I say 'Explorer' I am talking about the Windows file manager.
Cheers,
Martin