Al Safran AB

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
davidbernard
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Al Safran AB

Post by davidbernard »

Hi folks,

Using the Mirage 2000 revival as an excelent excuse, I'm now updating my Gulf region AI :-)

I noticed a new airbase in the UAE called Al Safran AB, some 100 km southwest of Abu Dhabi. I think I found the location in Google Earth (23.650361° 53.822323°), as there seems to be an airfield under construction. You can see the general lay out, but it's merely enough for a basic afcad.

Anyone out there with some more information?
Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard

james84

Re: Al Safran AB

Post by james84 »

When I made the plans for the UAE Mirages I found some info on Scramble.nl according to which the base is operational and hosts a squadron of Mirages. Unfortunately it's not present in FS2004 nor there is an afcad for it. I ended up basing all the aircrafts in Al Dhafra.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Jane's Defense Weekly wrote this back on Jun 8, 2007:
"The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is in the final stages of completing a new airbase, Jane's has learned, with Mirage 2000-9 aircraft already operating from this facility.

A senior UAE Air Force source confirmed to Jane's that the new airbase, Al-Safran, is situated 80 km southwest of Abu Dhabi International Airport. Although the base currently serves the Mirage aircraft, it is expected that around 40 of the UAE's quota of 80 F-16E/F Desert Falcons will fly from there in the near future."

Considering that Google Earth images are sometimes 5-7 years old, completed base facilities/buildings not being visible isn't surprising. Couldn't find the base easily in Yahoo sat imagery...
Why waste 'trons for a snappy signature when I can use this?
davidbernard
Captain
Captain

Post by davidbernard »

Ford Friendly wrote:Considering that Google Earth images are sometimes 5-7 years old, completed base facilities/buildings not being visible isn't surprising. Couldn't find the base easily in Yahoo sat imagery...
That's because the Yahoo imagery doesn't show it at all. It's just east of the town Madinat Zayed in a large green rectangle. I found some info on a sheik visiting the town and the airbase, but nothing useful ;-)
Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard

Mirage4FS
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Mirage4FS »

Reading the notes at Scramble it says that the 86th "might have been" relocated to Al Safran. According to the order of battle page the UAE has three Mirage 2000-9EAD/DAD squadrons. So that would mean two squadrons would remain at Al Dhafra.

There's a discussion of UAE assets here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mirage_2000
and here: http://www.scramble.nl/ae.htm.
Jobza Guddun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jobza Guddun »

Looks like 2 airfields being built there, 5 km apart?
davidbernard
Captain
Captain

Post by davidbernard »

Interesting. If you look at the north-eastern field you won't see any construction works. Maybe it's a mock up airfield for target practice?
Dave 'D-Rex' Bernard