Vandenberg Air Force Base questions

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Vandenberg Air Force Base questions

Post by Joseph29 »

I have Al Wheeler's California Central Coast Scenery that includes sceney for Vandenberg Air Force Base. I am fixing up the AFCAD for it and have some questions.

1. How do planes park at this base? Right now I have 4 spaces with the planes tail faceing the buildings and the nose faceing the runway.
2. Does this base get a lot of traffic? I have seen 1 C-130 there and 1 KC-135.
3. About how many spaces would I need to accomodate AI traffic? (only have about 4 spaces now)

Now before I start doing this AFCAD would anyone already have a AFCAD for this base? I would ahte to work on a AFCAD when there is a good one someone would be willing to share. :)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Vandenberg Air Force Base questions

Post by MIKE JG »

Joseph, I don't think this base sees much traffic. They have that big ole runway but I would imagine that most of the time it accommodates large transports that are bringing in rocket and missile parts for the AF. I would also imagine that they don't get too many arrivals and departures per day.

If I was making the afcad, I would have the aircraft parallel to the one large hangar there. If you have them facing away from it, in real life, they would be blowing their prop wash and jet blast back towards that hangar which most places try to avoid if at all possible.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Thanks for the tips. I did not think about jet blast when I quickly put those spaces in (the scenery does not have any blast fences). I guess 5 or 6 spaces should be enough, with maybe 1 or 2 spaces for military helicopters.
jetmax
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by jetmax »

I was stationed at Vandyland for 3 years and during that time I have see planes parked in every direction and never more than 2 heavies at anytime.
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

There ya go, first hand info. Scott would certainly know more than I would.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log