hunter army airfield

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

hunter army airfield

Post by Rotten Ralph »

I have just read on Wikipedia, that Hunter Army Airfield/Fort Stewart in Georgia can have on the ground 50 C-17`s simultaneously. That would be a sight to behold, but would they really have that many at a time ?

Dave Lock
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: hunter army airfield

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

david lock wrote:I have just read on Wikipedia, that Hunter Army Airfield/Fort Stewart in Georgia can have on the ground 50 C-17`s simultaneously. That would be a sight to behold, but would they really have that many at a time ?

Dave Lock
I believe they are just trying to express how "big" the ramp is... 350 acres. Don't tell a lot to many people, but when you say 50 C-17's that's like wow!

Can't see 35-40% of the fleet being in one spot at one time, or the need for it.
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

I didn`t think it was true, but hey, you can get the entire Royal Air Force C-17 fleet in a football field LOL.

dave lock
StingingCanine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by StingingCanine »

It may also be referring to a Strategic Brigade Airdrop. An Army brigade, which contains about 3,250 soldiers and 3,450 tons of equipment, is airdropped and airlanded in two phases. During the first phase, aircraft must be able to drop roughly 2,500 troops and 1,350 tons of equipment within a limited amount of time. During the second phase of the operation, the remaining 750 personnel and 2,100 tons of equipment are delivered to a landing zone.

The SBA delivers - via airdrop (echelon A) and airland (echelon B) - a brigade-sized Army force of the 82d Airborne Division directly from CONUS (whenever possible) to any target area in the world. When performed solely by the C-17, the SBA consists of 53 airdrop (Alpha Echelon) and 46-48 airland (Bravo Echelon) sorties to deliver the XVIII Airborne Division's Ready Brigade-Medium. Items contained in the echelon B include some items that are too large to airdrop, such as tracked and other vehicles from the Immediate Ready Company (IRC). Ultimately, the force package will be tailored to a specific mission, with the Division Ready Brigade (DRB) medium the optimum force for planning.

Full article:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 17-sba.htm

some large number training drops:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/ ... 7s1.10.07/

http://www.altus.af.mil/news/story.asp? ... =123031383
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

I would love to see one of those mass airdrops for real, must be an awsome sight. A friend of mine told me once, he was in a 10 ship C-130 tactical drop on Salisbury Plain UK, with Harrier GR7`s streaming down the sides of the formation to provide ground attack cover for the troops when they dropped. He said that was a fantastic sight.

dave lock
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

david lock wrote:I would love to see one of those mass airdrops for real, must be an awsome sight. A friend of mine told me once, he was in a 10 ship C-130 tactical drop on Salisbury Plain UK, with Harrier GR7`s streaming down the sides of the formation to provide ground attack cover for the troops when they dropped. He said that was a fantastic sight.

dave lock
Dave,

Do you mean something like this? :lol:

Mike
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Thats cool Mike. Will that will be in a future maiw package?

Dave
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

david lock wrote:Thats cool Mike. Will that will be in a future maiw package?

Dave
Dave,

That was a screenshot of an AI C-130 airdrop experiment I ran a while back, but since it requires a set of dedicated AI C-130's I am not sure whether MAIW would ever consider including such an AI airdrop in any of their packages.

Mike
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Thats a shame mike, The more ai stuff the better I say, then the end user can decide if they want to use the stuff or not.

dave
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Sorry. Went off the topic there a bit , will try that on another forum

dave
StingingCanine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by StingingCanine »

I love this pic. This would be cool to do in AI. This is from the Charleston airdrop where they broke the record with 20 C-17's in formation. I have a better one but I need to resize it.

Edit: Actually, the bottom photo is from the previous record of 17 C-17's.

Edit: the top photo is from the recent 20 ship formation flying over North Auxiliary Air Field in South Carolina.

more cool pics in high res:

http://www.amc.af.mil/photos/index.asp?galleryID=446
Attachments
20 ship formation.JPG
(9.03 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
charlestonC-17's.jpg
charlestonC-17's.jpg (64.82 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Good photos SC. Do you know where to get one of these photos big enough for a screen saver?

dave
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by CrazyDunc »

http://www.amc.af.mil/photos/index.asp?galleryID=446 go to tht link, hit the photo you want and right click and select set as desktop for a desktop bkgrnd if thts wat u mean?
Regards,
Dunc
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

The upcoming Pope AFB package will feature paratroopers :)
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

CD, The picture is to small and badly pixilates when increased in size. Do you know of a high res version?

BPD, Looking forward to the Pope packsge
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Click on the image you want then click on Download Full Image (at the bottom of the text below the larger picture)
Which way is up?
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

tell me which pic u want and ill set it up 4 ya. lol. gimme the link,
Regards,
Dunc
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

Thanks Guys, I now have a crystal clear copy as a background.

dave
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

good good
Regards,
Dunc
mohawk067
Cadet
Cadet

Post by mohawk067 »

I just retired from Hunter Army Airfield and have seen 21 C5's and a Dozon C17's on the Ground at the same time, now they weren't just sitting on the ramp we had them stacked up and down the taxi ways and on the west side of the base at an are call Sabre Hall, but it was a site to see. :arrow: