Runway edges

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
redtail58554

Runway edges

Post by redtail58554 »

Hi all,
Was working on my scenery and discovered a long stripe of scenery going down both sides of my runway. It is very noticeable where taxi ways meet the runway.
Can anyone shed some light on what is going on here?
Matt
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Runway edges

Post by MIKE JG »

I would bet that this is due to the runway texture you are using.

In your FS9/Texture folder, there are a set of runway surface textures in there where that texture comes from. It starts with "runway 10.bmp" and goes from there with all the different runway surface textures.

If you look closely at the texture that is being used for your runway, it may have a small grass edge to it. If so, that's the problem.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

I am currently using REX 2004. Where would I look for those textures?
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by kungfuman »

Where Mike said, I think: REX backs up the originals (or renames the folder) and replaces the files, keeping the original names.

If I'm correct, then they're in you're "Flight Simulator 9/Texture" folder.
Dan
supernova48
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by supernova48 »

If you are talking about that green stripe between the runway and the ground texture, I read somewhere a while back that you if make the runway link more narrow than the runway itself, those go away. But I think that also affects the edge stripe when to connect to a taxiway.

Ken
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

supernova48 wrote:If you are talking about that green stripe between the runway and the ground texture, I read somewhere a while back that you if make the runway link more narrow than the runway itself, those go away. But I think that also affects the edge stripe when to connect to a taxiway.

Ken
Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by make the runway link more narrow than the runway? Been a long day maybe it would make more sense tomorrow but if you could explain, I would appreciate it.
scruffyduck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scruffyduck »

The runway link runs down the center of the runway. It is a type of taxiway path specific to runways. It has a width and may have a texture. So if your runway 1s 20m wide and the runway link is defined as 30m wide it might show something on either side of the runway. However links are drawn over runways and should not have a texture. We generally use the width of this link to control the drawing of lines. In any case it would be worth checking the link width. Also are you sure there is no apron under the runway? Aprons get drawn beneath runways and are sometimes used to create this effect.
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

scruffyduck wrote:The runway link runs down the center of the runway. It is a type of taxiway path specific to runways. It has a width and may have a texture. So if your runway 1s 20m wide and the runway link is defined as 30m wide it might show something on either side of the runway. However links are drawn over runways and should not have a texture. We generally use the width of this link to control the drawing of lines. In any case it would be worth checking the link width. Also are you sure there is no apron under the runway? Aprons get drawn beneath runways and are sometimes used to create this effect.
Well I checked in ADE today and both the link and the runway itself show a width of 300 feet
scruffyduck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scruffyduck »

redtail58554 wrote:
scruffyduck wrote:The runway link runs down the center of the runway. It is a type of taxiway path specific to runways. It has a width and may have a texture. So if your runway 1s 20m wide and the runway link is defined as 30m wide it might show something on either side of the runway. However links are drawn over runways and should not have a texture. We generally use the width of this link to control the drawing of lines. In any case it would be worth checking the link width. Also are you sure there is no apron under the runway? Aprons get drawn beneath runways and are sometimes used to create this effect.
Well I checked in ADE today and both the link and the runway itself show a width of 300 feet
Any apron under the runway?
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

scruffyduck wrote:
redtail58554 wrote:
Any apron under the runway?
Not that I can tell. I did notice though that when I use the Guideline tool in ADE it is showing that the runway is 317 ft wide instead of 300.
clarke123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by clarke123 »

It's the runway texture. I bet you're using REX concrete runway 14 OD. You can see, on the preview and on the bitmap itself, the green strip of grass running down the edge. I'm going to try trimming it off because I like the texture but the grass runs through the taxiways connected to the runway.
veni, vidi, spurius brutus deitrum covi - I came, I saw, I tore the thick bastards limb from limb
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

MIKE JG wrote:I would bet that this is due to the runway texture you are using.

In your FS9/Texture folder, there are a set of runway surface textures in there where that texture comes from. It starts with "runway 10.bmp" and goes from there with all the different runway surface textures.

If you look closely at the texture that is being used for your runway, it may have a small grass edge to it. If so, that's the problem.
Can't believe I just quoted myself......
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
supernova48
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by supernova48 »

redtail58554 wrote:
supernova48 wrote:If you are talking about that green stripe between the runway and the ground texture, I read somewhere a while back that you if make the runway link more narrow than the runway itself, those go away. But I think that also affects the edge stripe when to connect to a taxiway.

Ken
Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by make the runway link more narrow than the runway? Been a long day maybe it would make more sense tomorrow but if you could explain, I would appreciate it.
Your issue might be the runway texture itself. It may have the small edge of grass already attached. When I was messing around with AFX and ADE I found that my airports a small strip of ground (think it was brown but it might have been green). Anyway my runway width's were 150ft which is pretty standard in the US. I would make the runway links 130ft and this eliminated the strip of ground beside the runway. Also it might have been default textures for FS9. I have changed over to FSX but have not done any serious airport design yet.

Ken
clarke123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by clarke123 »

clarke123 wrote:It's the runway texture. I bet you're using REX concrete runway 14 OD. You can see, on the preview and on the bitmap itself, the green strip of grass running down the edge. I'm going to try trimming it off because I like the texture but the grass runs through the taxiways connected to the runway.
MIKE JG wrote:Can't believe I just quoted myself......
Does anybody bother to read these?
veni, vidi, spurius brutus deitrum covi - I came, I saw, I tore the thick bastards limb from limb
redtail58554

Post by redtail58554 »

Tried some different things and it appears it was the runway texture from REX that was creating the grass edges. It was a shame too because I really liked that texture. Oh well, changed it and all is good.