F-111E/F and EF111A (JY)

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
Chrisb
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: F-111E/F and EF111A (JY)

Post by Chrisb »

John

I don't want to cast a slur on the models but without them and with F-15Es back in place Lakenheath has run for more than an hour with no problems. Are we the only two with problems because it could be something else we two have.

Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've been running Lakenheath with all the F-111 models for an hour counting them out and in. No problems so far. I'll leave it running for a while and see what happens. What sort of flightplan are you using? I'm using an IFR circuit.

John
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

John

I just replaced the MAIW package F-15Es flightplans with the F-111 as a temporary measure. Lakenheath is by Ian McCartney with the scenery bgls all dated in 2007 and no alterations. Win7 and FS9. Fps are IFR

Chris
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Somewhat like Chris, I swapped out the F15 - but only 492nd FS ones for the Lakenheath F111.

No problems to report.

Actually it was the 493rd I changed out.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by f4nutter »

i have been playing with the "1-11" with no problems :lol:
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

John Young wrote:A few worrying things happening it would seem. So:

3. SeanG/ChrisB - Ive watched the F-111s extensively both at Upper Heyford and at my test airfield and have not experienced a failure to take off or a PVFC. Chris, could you e-mail me your Lakenheath AFCAD and flightplan and let me know at what time of day the PVFC occurs please? I'll try and replicate it.
Hi John,

The test flightplan I used was:

AC#9000,ASY11,90%,WEEK,VFR,0/22:00:00,0/22:34:09,350,F,11,YWLM,1/04:00:00,1/04:34:09,350,F,11,YSNW

I've tried it as VFR and IFR, and also by substituting the F-111 into another working flightplan.
I have not tried different time of day settings, just the IFR/VFR and substitution. I'll do some more experimenting today to see if I can narrow it down further.

As an aside; your Victor's and Canberra's at Marham work fine on this machine... (and they are spectacular!)

I am running Win7Pro(64), so I wonder if that is a factor?

SeanG
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Runtime error occured also to me. It is quite strange because it doesn't happen every time in the same way.
Some times occured after 3-4 minute of flight, other after 20-30 minutes.

Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I haven't substituted into the MAIW F-15 aircraft.txt file, but I have been testing intensively with 24 F-111s (all models) at Lakenheath. I have them all departing on the hour every hour for an IFR circuit (about 20 minutes) which gives almost continuous movements. So far I have tested for 1 hr 15 minutes continually at normal speed in each runway direction. No hint of a problem. You can see the aircraft ready to depart and The Chief returning from it's circuit:

I'll try substituting into the MAIW file tomorrow. BTW, which speed did you use Chris in the substitution? I've been using 250K for the circuit.

John
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

John Young wrote:I haven't substituted into the MAIW F-15 aircraft.txt file, but I have been testing intensively with 24 F-111s (all models) at Lakenheath. I have them all departing on the hour every hour for an IFR circuit (about 20 minutes) which gives almost continuous movements. So far I have tested for 1 hr 15 minutes continually at normal speed in each runway direction. No hint of a problem. You can see the aircraft ready to depart and The Chief returning from it's circuit:

I'll try substituting into the MAIW file tomorrow. BTW, which speed did you use Chris in the substitution? I've been using 250K for the circuit.

John
John,

Could you possibly post your traffic.bgl for Lakenheath so we can each test your set-up on our own set-up and see if there is any difference.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

File attached (I hope).
Traffic_LN.bgl
(7.54 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Sad to say that I too suffered the same runtime error after about 15 minutes......I'll pop Johns traffic file in and see if that's any better.
I was running FS9 on XP SP3.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

OK so 35 minutes with Johns traffic and it's all playing by the book......could there be an issue within the MAIW F-15 flightplans that just upsets the F-111? I ran GenAir on the redone F-15 flightplans and it threw up two old favourites of mine - TP10 and TUP7; now if I remember correctly, these were made by someone, years ago, in one of the first packages to include waypoints. I don't have either of these waypoints on my machine. I know it's a long shot, and that AFAIK even if there are missing waypoints, aircraft will still fly - but when those aircraft try to fly to that waypoint, is it going to upset the apple cart?

My example:
I watched one aircraft take off for Waddington, quickly climb to altitude then start descending - all the while, the aircraft programmed to fly to TP10 was still on the ground at Lakenheath, so still within the 40-mile traffic radius.

Cheers
Bora

Post by Bora »

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when selecting the 1-11 as a user aircraft (just to have a look at it, I do not intend to actually fly with it) it behaves very violently ! I could not even get it sitting still on the tarmac... It spins and bumps around violently in all directions (using FS9 with crash detection off). Never saw this behaviour before with any other AI aircraft when selecting it as a user aircraft...

As an AI aircraft it seems to work fine for me though, I did not test it with any Lakenheath scenery yet though, just with Woodbridge by ACG...
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Bora wrote:Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when selecting the 1-11 as a user aircraft (just to have a look at it, I do not intend to actually fly with it) it behaves very violently ! I could not even get it sitting still on the tarmac... It spins and bumps around violently in all directions (using FS9 with crash detection off). Never saw this behaviour before with any other AI aircraft when selecting it as a user aircraft...

As an AI aircraft it seems to work fine for me though, I did not test it with any Lakenheath scenery yet though, just with Woodbridge by ACG...
:smt005 Yeah I found that out earlier, when trying to use one to measure for clearance in a HAS. I was holding my forcefeedback stick at the time and it damn near broke my wrist.
Stew

SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Interesting; John's Lakenheath traffic file works fine..... wonder what the difference is with mine.....
Further investigation to follow :)

SeanG
Wolfhound
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Wolfhound »

Are there already repaints for this beautyfull bird yet
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

I don't think the problem is related to the traffic file used.
I set up different flightplans in different airports also in the States and on mine "test airport" in the middle of the Indian Ocean, and the problem is still there.
I also notice using it as AI, that it spins and bumps during take-off and landing and, in many cases during the taxiing.

Giorgio
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

Okay, an early start with Lakenheath and its F-111s.

I have used Johns flightplans and as promised traffic intensity is heavy with a constant stream.

I have not experienced a crash or problem at all in more than an hour.

The only thing I see is that using runway 06 the take off includes some interesting touchdown effects on the runway between the two arrestor wires of Ians scenery. Also when landing they seem to set down in this area too and large clouds of touchdown effect but with a huge bounce before they land again in clouds of touchdown effect and appear unstable as they do so.

I use FSGenesis so that may be altering the ground height or is it the scenery or aircraft?

Chris

Ray,

Your playing with the F-111 caught my eye. How long before you finish those off then?
Bora

Post by Bora »

I noticed another strange effect on my system... As soon as the 1-11 gets permission to line up the runway for take off, there is a loud afterburner sound that lasts for 2 seconds... :shock:

Yesterday I watched one F-111 take off from Woodbridge and coming back to land... Take off and landing both went perfect, besides for this strange afterburner sound prior to entering the runway... Just now I watched two of them and both had this sound effect...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I did a few more tests this morning and again suffered no crash. Firstly I watched a few more circuits at Lakenheath, all at normal speed. Then I watched a few more, this time at 4X speed. All the aircraft departed and returned without incident.

The next test was to create a single entry flight plan for the Pave Tack LN F-111 between Lakenheath and Bentwaters. I followed the aircraft in real time from cold parked at Lakenheath to shutdown at Bentwaters. It flew beautifully. Here it is just approaching the Bentwaters threshold:

307 users have downloaded the FS9 version when I checked this morning. None of them have reported a PVFC, apart from the few instances here that are mainly linked to the MAIW F-15 traffic file. I’ve probably spent about 5 hours re-testing since yesterday afternoon. That’s in addition to the extensive tests previously at Upper Heyford and at my test airfield. The MAIW flight plan is just about impossible to test completely, unless it's done aircraft by aircraft. That would take a long time to do.

I also use Windows 7 64bit and have had no problems designing or flying. However, since the Lakenheath traffic.bgl pre-dates the release, I guess users will need to ensure that all the required waypoints have been carried over from their old machines. I don’t know for sure if a missing scenery waypoint does actually cause a problem when the FS9 AI engine gets to that point in the flight plan, but it might just act like not having enough parking spots, ignore the flight and not complain.

I don’t know what else I can do except wait and see. It's really difficult to address a problem that I can't replicate myself. I’ll get on with the mapping fix for the RH glove texture in the meantime.

John