AI BlackHawk

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
jeanpy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: AI BlackHawk

Post by jeanpy »

Absolutly fantastic and amazing work...

I'm so impatient.

Thank u !

Thank u

and Thank u again.

Jeanpy
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Waouwww! Great ! amazing work !! congratulation
Ripcord
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Ripcord »

John Young wrote:The Navy birds are all done for FS9 and FSX.

This is the "R" model again, but with a Mk54 torpedo instead of the Hellfires. It also has a dipping sonar:

The cable on the sonar runs right up through the inside of the rotor hub to get the maximum extension below the fuselage in a straight line when the sonar lowering animation is triggered (by a given forward speed of the helicopter):
So how do you plan to make it hover for any length of time over water? A simple TOL approach to a water runway won't quite do it, so you must have some other tricks up your sleeve... : )

Woogey and I ran into this, wanting to bring the Chinook to a very slow forward moving hover over water (to drop troops into water).
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's not possible. Would you prefer me to delete the sonar then?

John
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

Amazing work!!! Thank you so much!!! :D
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

John Young wrote:That's not possible. Would you prefer me to delete the sonar then?

John
I hate to be that harsh, John. I love it, but I am trying to understand how this animation can be used in an appropriate situation.

Is there a way for the helo to fly really really slow from one water landing point to another? Thus triggering the animation?

Tell you what, keep it but let's test it and see if we can come up with the right context for it. This is too cool to just delete.

Anyway we will have multiple models of the same aircraft, right, just with different loadouts? Like we do with the FA-18s and others? model.wing_tanks, model.no_wing_tanks, model.whatever, etc
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I understand where you're coming from Ripcord. However:

1. There's no way to suspend the FDE, which is responsible for the forward speed (cruise speed), for 10 minutes while the sonar lowers and takes a dip.

2. I can't do it in the xml lift animation either, because the aircraft is under FDE control at that point.

3. You could land the helicopter on an invisible runway, 20 feet above the water, but then it will need to taxi and the rotors will shut down. The sonar will raise in any case, because the xml trigger speed will no longer be active.

I know we strive for accuracy, but there are limitations in the sim. I can't get the compression in the tail wheel on the "R" model because the lift off and touchdown is not controlled by the FDE as is the usual case. I can't even do it in the xml, because it operates differently on lift off and landing. We just have to live with a compressed tail wheel when the "R" is airborne.

In the interests of avoidable inaccuracy however, I'll delete the sonar after I've finished the Jayhawk. If anyone can come up with a workable and manageable solution in the meantime, I'll gladly re-consider that.

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Fantastic work John!

These models should keep people busy for the next couple years! :mrgreen:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

John Young wrote:In the interests of avoidable inaccuracy however, I'll delete the sonar after I've finished the Jayhawk. If anyone can come up with a workable and manageable solution in the meantime, I'll gladly re-consider that.
John
John, I would leave the sonar bouy in the cabin, looks good, just remove the dipping effect xml. My 10 cents. Lewis
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yep, I can do that Lewis. I assume that's how it's stowed. I haven't found a photo yet. John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

John has been nice enough to give me advanced access to the Pavehawk paintkit. In addition to the modern schemes, bristling with many a mustache, I decided to include a retro work for anyone running a Desert Storm era setup:

John is really doing amazing work with these models and they are going to be quite something when he is done with them.
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Sweet - is that a pararescue bird?
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

John Young wrote:I understand where you're coming from Ripcord. However:

1. There's no way to suspend the FDE, which is responsible for the forward speed (cruise speed), for 10 minutes while the sonar lowers and takes a dip.

2. I can't do it in the xml lift animation either, because the aircraft is under FDE control at that point.

3. You could land the helicopter on an invisible runway, 20 feet above the water, but then it will need to taxi and the rotors will shut down. The sonar will raise in any case, because the xml trigger speed will no longer be active.

I know we strive for accuracy, but there are limitations in the sim. I can't get the compression in the tail wheel on the "R" model because the lift off and touchdown is not controlled by the FDE as is the usual case. I can't even do it in the xml, because it operates differently on lift off and landing. We just have to live with a compressed tail wheel when the "R" is airborne.

In the interests of avoidable inaccuracy however, I'll delete the sonar after I've finished the Jayhawk. If anyone can come up with a workable and manageable solution in the meantime, I'll gladly re-consider that.

John
John

I think it is best to safely stow the animation but please do not delete it, for now.

Sure it is outside the realm of normal garden-variety FS AI traffic engine and probably therefore beyond the scope of anything that MAIW is producing, but I would submit to you that it could still find life using SODE or in a mission or something of that ilk. In fact I am very interested in playing with it.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Ripcord wrote:Sweet - is that a pararescue bird?
That is HH-60G 87-26011, then with 55th Special Operations Squadron, now with 66th RQS out of Nellis.
jeanpy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by jeanpy »

it smells yummy guys !!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

John, the R dipping sonar should a be an upgrade to the AQS-13F we had in the "F", but regardless I don't think it would warrant the ploy hit to have it modeled exactly. I love the sonar animation, but real world we had a slow speed limitation on the sonar dome, I believe it was 40kts max. Most of the time between dips, we would reel the dome all the way up to move to our next dip location while prosecuting "enemy" subs. A similar animation request would be for either cargo or a rescue swimmer on the "S" model. If the poly count allows, much like the NBAI Chinook, a crewman in the door or at the sensor station would be cool.

The models so far are fantastic, really excited with how accurate they look for AI.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It's great to model this way and receive input from people in the know. Thanks everyone for the help.

I've, just found a picture of an AQS-13F including the winch. No problem using that instead, but I'll have to estimate the dimensions as I can't find any figures anywhere.

I'll delete the dipping animation, but I'll keep a copy just in case. One option is to create a static "Romeo" positioned at the required height above the water with an animated dip. I can animate the rotors, but I'm not sure they will turn in the way the AI engine turns them. The model could be used in a scene including static ships that have AI operating from them. They could have a time of day trigger applied so the position of the helicopter could be varied using a few copies of the model. Just a thought.

A crew member in the cabin of the "Sierra" is probably doable. My pilots are 617 polygons each (LOD1) and the crew member would be similar at the same quality. I'll give it a go.

The Jayhawk is coming on well, having survived the surgery to create the new windows.........

John
jrbirdman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jrbirdman »

Don't forget to add a Stealth Hawk too! :) It would be our first freeware one and only one for FS9 so far!!!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'll make a deal with you then. You provide accurate drawings, paint scheme, serial numbers and performance specs and I'll build it.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

I can help with the performance specs. Apparently it has a problem settling while in a high altitude hover. :lol: Can you XML model that? :P