The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

General MAIW Conversion Package issues

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Conversion Packages for FSX and P3D in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: General MAIW Conversion Package issues

Post by gsnde »

Being the blind talking about colors…. Have a look at the PBR textures of our conversions - there are some.

They make an overall greenish expression.

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by cahuich »

Thanks I will have a look and try to reproduce.

Phil
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

In case it helps, the basic principle of PBR textures, at least for MSDFS, uses the conventional texture (named "Albedo" in MSFS) with a composite ("Comp") texture. This texture splits the RGB channels into separate red, green and blue maps for editing and then combines them back again in Paintshop pro or similar graphics program:

A third texture ("Normal") is a single channel diffuse map that emphasises depth in panel lines etc, much like a “bump” map.

The freeware "Materialize" is a decent program to produce the various maps https://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/. The Ambient Occlusion (AO) map, produced this way is a bit lacking from my experience and is better produced with XNormal https://xnormal.net/, by firing light rays at the model itself and producing the map that way. Both the AO and the Normal maps need a lot of manual editing to get right.

After setting up the maps with the correct parameters in MCX, the result though is worth the effort with a decent model:

Just bear in mind that when using 2048x 2048 textures, the 3 main maps in total are about 8 times larger than a conventional single 1024x2048 texture normally associated with AI aircraft. A canopy texture (PBR) and Weapons texture (non-PBR) might also be needed plus afterburner, if present. Graphics cards will need to be able to handle that and uploads will be considerably bigger of course.

John
cahuich
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cahuich »

Thank you Gavin,

I will give it a try!

Phil
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Your welcome, but I'm John, not Gavin!
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

John Young wrote: 01 Oct 2023, 20:48 Your welcome, but I'm John, not Gavin!
We just look alike :D