Eurofighter Typhoon

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon

Post by John Young »

Nice screen shots Martin and I'm glad the embedded afterburner is working in P3Dv5 too. Thanks for testing that for me.

It's all coming together quite nicely.

Dan delivered the Coningsby flight plans today for the RAF package. Tim, I know is beavering away on the Germans with Miljan having already completed the Austrians, as previously reported. I've been working on the Spanish set with new waypoints out at sea for LEAB and LEMO traffic. Ray, I have to say, is doing some stunning work with the German special paints, having already delivered the German, Spanish and Saudi paints with an input from Mark too.

There's also a potential new Typhoon scenery in preparation, but I don't want to spill the beans on that until the author is ready.

I'll be sending everyone a revised FDE shortly, Steve having fixed a problem in rapid time, that Giorgio found while testing the Italians yesterday.

So pleased with all this help.

John
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by hawk_sh »

it looks like the Wittmund based Eurofighters started flying with the targeting/Recce pods.

Hartwig

rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by rocket_26_ »

P3D V4/V5 version of Coningsby is coming along well.

Today I added the 12 Squadron Shelters. I wont be adding the the 12 Squadron buildings as I have no pictures or a sat image of them. So I will add them after release when the information is available.

I intend to have this ready by the end of the month.

Cheers

Ian
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Looking good Ian :D
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Looks amazing Ian. Looking at this scenery makes me think to purchase v5 finally.
VIVA LA VIDA
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Your new Coningsby is looking fabulous Ian. I'll send you a set of Typhoons shortly, now that Dan has done the flight plans.

I need to ask for some opinion from people here on something I'm in the process of doing.

Dan suggested adding some smoke to the engines. I've done that and in FS9 and FSX it's nice and subtle - more of a haze:

The effect is written into the aircraft.cfg file so if users don't want it, it can be easily deleted, so no problem.

In P3D, the same effect file displays more heavily:

My feeling is that it's too heavy to taxi like that, but it can be set to appear only from the hold light (strobe light trigger) prior to take-off. However, the smoke, like the afterburner, has to be embedded into the P3D model and can't then be deleted by the user. I'm inclined to include the smoke triggered at the hold - do P3D users agree?

The other question, concerns the afterburners. In the real world, they tend not to be used except for performance take-offs or where a heavy load-out is carried. Dan's suggestion is to apply the afterburners to only the QRA aircraft and those with a large air to ground load, like Paveways and cruise missiles. Again, that's not a problem for FS9 and FSX users because the afterburners are specified in the aircraft.cfg file, but in P3D they need to be permanently embedded. Does the selective approach to afterburners in P3D sound OK please?

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

This might trigger a lot of questions (my afterburner is not showing), John.

The smoke looks great!
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The afterburner was showing when you took your screen shots Martin. Have you since broken it?

Sorry, should have said also, the enable a choice of afterburners on or off in FS9 and FSX, I have to double the number of aircraft folders because of the need for two different aircraft.cfg files.

John
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

I would not be concerned about the selective afterburners. For the FSX/P3D NBAI conversion I have attached smoke and burners to the model and after 2 years / 2,250+ downloads nobody has questioned this sofar. Burners are only attached to a few heavy loaded and display models, triggered by a max throttle - gear down - zero flaps xml tag. Smoke is attached to all models, triggered by a high throttle range and/or high flaps percent xml tag.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

John Young wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 05:59 Dan's suggestion is to apply the afterburners to only the QRA aircraft and those with a large air to ground load, like Paveways and cruise missiles. .... Does the selective approach to afterburners in P3D sound OK please?

John
Sorry for being unclear. You were asking a question which I tried to answer.

Fully spelled out: People (other than myself) might come and say: My afterburner is not showing for this Typhoon, but it shows for that Typhoon.

But I guess Henk is right here anyway.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry Martin, got it. Yes I agree, despite what the manual might say.
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

John Young wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 05:59 Your new Coningsby is looking fabulous Ian. I'll send you a set of Typhoons shortly, now that Dan has done the flight plans.
Thanks John,

I will amend the parking to match the codes when I receive them.

On another note, how much work is it to convert your Tornado and Phantom AI models to static models?

I used AI models in the FS9/FSX versions of the scenery.

From what I gather we cannot convert or use them in P3D due to permissions?

Cheers

Ian
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I can do that for you Ian. Can you e-mail me a couple of photos of what you need please?

Cheers,

John
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

Will do thanks
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Big thank you again to Ray, who has not only produced an enormous amount of standard paints for the Typhoons, but has completed his part in the project with some exquisite special paints for the Luftwaffe aircraft:

There are a couple more to do, but at a later date when he has more time.

Great job Ray, the totality of your paints has been a huge help to the project.

Good progress elsewhere too. Dan has delivered the UK flight plans and I finished the Spanish ones yesterday.

John

PS: Sorry should have said. As and when these schemes get removed, Ray has also provided the regular grey schemes as alternative textures for users who prefer to stay current.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

Great job Ray.
It appears that the Luftwaffe spends more money on paint than on maintenance... :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Giorgio
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Stunning job Ray, beautiful aircraft.
VIVA LA VIDA
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Looks fantastic! Should have the GAF plans finished today.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Those look spectacular.

The Lossie scenery I'm putting together is nearly done as well-looks like everything is coming together!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It is indeed all coming together.

All of the flight plans are now in and that leads me on to the last part of the project before documenting and zip assembly - finalising the scenery options as they become available and checking the parking in the AFCADs.

Tim has done a great job with the German plans and we have the 5 sceneries in place to accomodate the Typhoons for each sim version thanks to Menno and Gert. What I'm trying to do at the moment is allocate some parking codes so the Typhoons park in the right place. In most cases it's reasonably obvious because the bases have modern rows of metal shelters. However some also have the older Hardened Aircraft Shelters (HAS's) on one or two sites per airfield. It's not clear from Google Earth whether these are still used - no Typhoons are visible and some of the turning pads look in a bad state of repair.

Could anyone tell me please, whether the HAS's at Norvenich, Wittmundhafen, Rostock-Laage and Neuburg are still used please?

John