TILEPROXY for FS9 or FSX - have you ever tried this?

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by sprocky »

Rip,

you have posted some nice shots but they were mainly taken in unpopulated areas. Could you please post some shots from cities (I am sure you tried already to fly over the house you're living in :wink: )?

Additionally I would like to know if you need a mesh for correct display or if these data (I doubt they will) be retrieved from google, too.

Check out these coordinates:

N51.4055,E12.295 (Google maps shows a facility with a test track.)

I'll be there in 10.5h for a meeting (I need to go to bed...). Guess what they build here :wink: (Hint: SUV)

Thanks.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

You mean Tannewald, just east of Leipzig-Halle EDDP, Sprocky? :wink:
And you mean those Porshe Cayenne mini-SUVs? :wink: :wink:

I published areas mostly covered with heights and mountains before, as I find views there are most dramatic and beautiful. I did fly also around Warsaw and Beijing, a quality of view there depends much on a coverage quality.
Here's very useful service, where you can compare coverage of a few different map servers, especially Google Maps and Yahoo Maps:
http://www.flashearth.com/
Google wins, of course :wink:

A mesh: Sure, if you have a proper mesh then your impressions are much better. I used SRTM-based mesh for my pics.
But be aware that some (mostly cloudy) areas have awful holes in SRTM and this means bad distortions (peaks or holes). Then better use other, "hand-made" meshes for this areas, as LOD9-LOD10 meshes for all Himalaya by Holger Sandmann (search Avsim.com, much better then raw SRTM).

Tileproxy author does plan to implement on-line mesh download as well (!) but this time this would mean paying for that stuff a little as a dedicated server and bandwidth would be needed ...
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

Yep, you are right - the Cayenne's final assembly is there (a different Porsche's final assembly will start soon). I parked my car in the top left corner of that image this morning. :wink:

Now if I could only get a higher bandwidth for a good price (which is currently impossible as I live in a small village :cry: ). I then could get rid of some HD memory eating photoreal environments.
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

OK Jan, so I was there, just over the Porshes 8) :

So - even a flat and populated area coverage can be perfect (and Germany is covered quite well). Any other flight orders? I'm ready :wink:
sprocky wrote:...Now if I could only get a higher bandwidth for a good price (which is currently impossible as I live in a small village :cry: ). I then could get rid of some HD memory eating photoreal environments.
There's no ADSL possibility, even from a biggest telecom player on your market there? That's over a telephone line but would run up to 4-6mbps?

It is worth to fly over Germany, as I see it right now, it's even better than the commercial Germany VFR package!

Leipzig center down there:
Last edited by RipPipPip on 13 Mar 2008, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

how about trying it at a higher speed and seeing what happens :) i have version 6 downloaded just not ready to install quite yet...
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

djnocturnal wrote:how about trying it at a higher speed and seeing what happens :) i have version 6 downloaded just not ready to install quite yet...
It depends if tiles are already in a cache or not (they are there at the second time). You can also tune the radius of each tile LOD, so you can have this most detailed cover spread over much bigger area.
I see that tenth of miles are in cache when you "awake" in a given location.

I use v7 in the end (not a bug free though) but hope the author will release v8 soon as well ...
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Here's the "higher speed" experiment-

after about 30nm, 330kts, a first blur came:

after a few minute wait:
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

wow, not too bad. do you have extended textures on or off? i'm assuming off by the 67 fps :)
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

I have everything ON, incl. extended textures, well, that Quad Core and 8800GTS, after all ...

Berlin:
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
sprocky
Major
Major

Post by sprocky »

RipPipPip wrote: So - even a flat and populated area coverage can be perfect (and Germany is covered quite well). Any other flight orders? I'm ready :wink:

There's no ADSL possibility, even from a biggest telecom player on your market there? That's over a telephone line but would run up to 4-6mbps?

It is worth to fly over Germany, as I see it right now, it's even better than the commercial Germany VFR package!
Amazing! It really looks great!

Nope, I am already with the biggest telecom player but the only thing I could get was this 384kbps :cry: Even this was a huge step forward - had 64kbps before. They told me I live too far away to have real DSL. In fact the measured SNR was too bad. The next citizen here that uses DSL lives about 1,000 meters away from my house. I asked my provider when we have a chance for higher bandwidth. He could not tell...

Anyway, if you look for another destination try our headquarter here :wink:
N48.685993 E9.177056

Take off from EDDS RWY25 and look over your right shoulder as soon as you left the airport boundaries and crossed a wide road (B27).
Jan