New Machine Build

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Well, the experts would say to pull everything out except PSU, mobo, CPU(heatsink, etc...) and a connected internal speaker.

If you try to boot it like that and you get POST beeps then there's an issue with something else you've connected. If you're not getting any POST beeps with the bare bones connected then you know something is wrong with what's connected.
--Chris
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Do what SMOC suggested. If you have multiple memory sticks, use only one, and then swap to the other. I've had similar problems and the issue turned out to be bad memory stick. If the bad stick is the first to be accessed, it will stop everything in it's tracks. If it is in the second slot, you still have a problem, but the first stick will support the computer to some extent.

Ron
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

I am also wondering if it is the mobo. I do have an extra one that I can try. I have swapped out the memory but I guess both sticks could be bad. Thanks :)
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

BadPvtDan wrote:I am also wondering if it is the mobo. I do have an extra one that I can try. I have swapped out the memory but I guess both sticks could be bad. Thanks :)
Did you try what I suggested?
--Chris
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Hi Chris, yes I did try that. I still got nothing. No POST beeps at all. So, could be memory and could be mobo? I guess processor as well :( Man, I hope it's not the processor!
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

This is why I quit building my own machines. I've just gotten too old to deal with the hassles - not patient enough, and have developed a bit of an anger management problem. As you get older, you tend to revert to child like behavior - getting old is bad!

Ron
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Oh, I agree. I used to always build my own machines then, about 6 years ago...just got tired of all the hassle. I bought my last three machines but (stupidly) decided to try my hand at building again. Ah well, hopefully, this one will be my last for another 6 years.
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

BadPvtDan wrote:Hi Chris, yes I did try that. I still got nothing. No POST beeps at all. So, could be memory and could be mobo? I guess processor as well :( Man, I hope it's not the processor!
Well, it shouldn't be the memory(at least there isn't a way to know yet) as that shouldn't have been put it. Just mobo, PSU, CPU(heatsink, etc...), fans and internal speaker. Assuming you get POST codes, you could then deduce memory. If you're not getting any beeps with the above attached(and the internal speaker is connected) then it is now limited to one of the 3 things attached.

I would think the mobo before the CPU but anything it possible.
--Chris
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

OK...no POST beeps at all with everything stripped out. I have another (cheap) mobo that I am going to try.
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

BadPvtDan wrote:OK...no POST beeps at all with everything stripped out. I have another (cheap) mobo that I am going to try.
That doesn't sound good... it is likely the mobo though(I would suspect anyway).

Storming the castle is becoming time consuming, no? :lol:
--Chris
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

OK I got a new CPU and all is good now! It works! It is FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

BadPvtDan wrote:OK I got a new CPU and all is good now! It works! It is FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good news... the CPU is always the last thing I would pick to have a problem. Curious. But anyway, glad you got it taken care of!
--Chris
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Yeah, I am not sure what was up with it. I took it bac kto Frys and it wouldn't POST there for them either.

Next week I am going to add more RAM and a faster HD for FS9. The only bad thing is I have to wait until then to play on this machine to find out what kind of performance I am going to get.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

OK I have commenced with the FS9 reinstall. It will be forever and a day before I get everything installed. I have add-on programs I can't even remember.

I wonder what kind of fps I am going to get in places like KATL and KDFW?
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

With your specs you could risk a peek at FSX :wink:
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

I don't think I would ever go to FSX...especially with the frame rates and detail I am getting with FS9!
ChrisG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ChrisG »

BadPvtDan wrote:I don't think I would ever go to FSX...especially with the frame rates and detail I am getting with FS9!

And people wonder why there's a lack of add-ons for FSX?? ;)
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

ChrisG wrote:And people wonder why there's a lack of add-ons for FSX?? ;)
I don't think anyone in the know actually wonders... it's pretty obvious. :lol:
--Chris
ChrisG
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ChrisG »

Yeah, people are too stuck in their old ways! :(
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

ChrisG wrote:Yeah, people are too stuck in their old ways! :(
Because they don't want to move to a program that uses more resources, requires more RAM, more powerful CPU, etc... that equates to being stuck in their old ways?

Or did I read that wrong?
--Chris