P-3, Revisited

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
wktjr

Post by wktjr »

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the lines. While adding them does give it a better detailed look, going without really doesn't take away from it IMHO.

Hey Mikewmac, you have some experience painting P-3's. What you do you think?

Oh, btw, it looks awesome! BZ!
wktjr

Post by wktjr »

wktjr wrote:Personally, I wouldn't worry about the lines. While adding them does give it a better detailed look, going without really doesn't take away from it IMHO.
Okay, delay my last. I just took a look at some P-3's from Mike's NEUMAI package and he doe's have the panel lines drawn but not everyone single one. Just enough to give it some depth and detail.
Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by Dark Morelia »

I think if 1px wide lines are looking that big on it, you should look at the texture mapping to get more texture area for the fuselage.

Looking good though !
Drew >>

delta b
Captain
Captain

Post by delta b »

If you can't remap the texture, it might look more natural if your panel lines are drawn much lighter (just a shade darker than the body). It's looking fantastic--keep it up!!!!

Dan
WHAT? People actually FLY in Flight Sim???
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by RipPipPip »

Truly is!
I hope Graham will help you with repaints to squeeze everything possible out from this fine model 8)
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

Looking pretty good.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks guys for the support. Your suggestions are great! (just wish I knew what you're talking about :lol: )

@Andy: check your pm

@Danny: check your pm

If I can get Graham the info he needs, I sure he'll be glad to do some paints :wink: . Right now its a matter of getting him a texture map, etc.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Textures are improving, I'm learning. I sent Graham a map, but it was such a mess, I haven't heard back from him :lol: . I have since learned about a lot of the mistakes I made on that one and will try to put together another one. In the meantime, this is what I'm coming up with. As you can see, its still a mess, but I'm learning.
Attachments
P-3_66.jpg
P-3_66.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 437 times
wktjr

Post by wktjr »

I'm liking what I see. :D

Will there be a model without the harpoons? The only time they hang armament is when they're actually going to use it. :smt071
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Jake,

Looking great!!! Is the AI FDE that I did for you still working OK?

Mike
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

The answer is yes to both of the above questions. Mike, I have not made any changes in the a/c since the last FDE, so we're good there.

I just happened to compile this model with the missles. I think most of the models would not have them, especially in this scheme. I just wanted to see what it would look like with them.

If I can get a handle on the textures and the LOD's (which is a big if or at best a when), I plan to do several different models :) . Any help is appreciated :D .
wktjr

Post by wktjr »

aerogator wrote:The answer is yes to both of the above questions. Mike, I have not made any changes in the a/c since the last FDE, so we're good there.

I just happened to compile this model with the missles. I think most of the models would not have them, especially in this scheme. I just wanted to see what it would look like with them.

If I can get a handle on the textures and the LOD's (which is a big if or at best a when), I plan to do several different models :) . Any help is appreciated :D .
As long as it isn't about modeling or textures, I'll help anyway I can.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

As long as it isn't about modeling or textures, I'll help anyway I can.
Great! You can bring the beer! :lol: :lol:
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

aerogator wrote: I just happened to compile this model with the missles. I think most of the models would not have them, especially in this scheme. I just wanted to see what it would look like with them
How right you are, considering that for the USN EP-3E's are the only P-3's in this scheme... There are some Japanese P-3's left in this scheme but they too are transitioning to the all gloss gray scheme the USN uses. Pretty much everybody is going to the all gloss gray scheme.

Netherlands did before they sold 'em off to Germany & Portugal.
Japan is going that way.
Korea is transitioning from tactical gray to this.
Pakistan's "new" P-3's are all gloss gray.

Almost forgot Thailand, they are still gray/white :)

She's looking really good by the way :)
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Guys,

I really like the current USN paint scheme as depicted in the following AI screenshot:

Mike

Last edited by mikewmac on 19 Mar 2007, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Aaaaaawsome!!!

Ron
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

mikewmac wrote:Guys,

I really like the current USN paint scheme as depicted in the following AI screenshot:

Mike

Too bad tailflashes are another dying thing in the P-3 community, only one per squadron permitted, and most squadrons don't even waste the time painting 'em any more.
wktjr

Post by wktjr »

P3_Super_Bee wrote:
mikewmac wrote:Guys,

Mike

Too bad tailflashes are another dying thing in the P-3 community, only one per squadron permitted, and most squadrons don't even waste the time painting 'em any more.
Depends on the ego of Commanding Officer. :smt003
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

wktjr wrote:
Not really as fast as we change planes around... Isn't worth the effort. With CMO coming online (Jax already there, KBay in June, not sure when Brunswick and Whidbey come online) the CO of the squadrons will have ZERO say, he won't own any planes any more...

Hell we just sent out a surge det, with maint, aircrews from KBay, Whidbey, and Jax, but aircraft are coming from Whidbey and Brunswick.
wktjr

Post by wktjr »

P3_Super_Bee wrote:
wktjr wrote:
Not really as fast as we change planes around... Isn't worth the effort. With CMO coming online (Jax already there, KBay in June, not sure when Brunswick and Whidbey come online) the CO of the squadrons will have ZERO say, he won't own any planes any more...

Hell we just sent out a surge det, with maint, aircrews from KBay, Whidbey, and Jax, but aircraft are coming from Whidbey and Brunswick.
My sources (former co-workers) say they are knee-deep in ramping up for CMO and it'll be starting very soon.

The CO's here still have one bird painted in color and all the VP-92 birds are still in color.