Leuchars Out Lossie In

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Leuchars Out Lossie In

Post by delbydoo »

Tiffies move out of Leuchars at the end of this year

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... ar-1.66497
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Re: Leuchars Out Lossie In

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Typical MoD Rooster-up.

Spend Millions updating systems at Leuchars to cater for the Typhoon, then move them to Lossiemouth...................where they will have spend millions updating systems to cater for the Typhoon. :roll:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Interesting. The last I heard Lossie was going to be the superbase for the F-35, so what are they going to do with them now?
At the time, Wittering, Cottesmore and Marham were ruled out. Have they gone back to Marham, or somewhere new, like Yeovilton, which was also considered.
Steve
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

I think Marham is still the favourite; with Lossie now dedicated to the Typhoon, I think we'll be looking for somewhere with HAS sites. But then again, like Stew said, everything can change and not necessarily for the better
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

I always thourght that the Typhoon was always going to be going to Lossie as Leuchars is being handed over to the army. I think that it was planned to be further down the line not this year (I could be wrong on that). The most annoying this is that they waste money by as Stew says updating leuchars for the typhoon and then go and then go and move it to lossie. As for the F-35, this may be a stab in the dark but Leeming could be used, they only have 100sq there. Who knows?????
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Leeming was ruled out in the initial decision but, like I said, I guess the whole thing is up for grabs again.
Personally I think it makes sense for Yeovilton to be used but I guess it all comes down to how much monet it takes to get whichever base up to scratch, plus how much complaining the neighbours do - this is the only reason that Wittering/Cottesmore were eliminated.
Steve
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

I can't see Yeovs being used for F-35. The real estate is being swallowed up by rotary assets; Merlins taking over from Commandos and Wildcat taking up the rest with AAC units moving in from Germany and elsewhere in the UK. There is already a shortage of accommodation and new builds are springing up alles uber die platz.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."