China expands ADIZ, USAF gives middle finger

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

China expands ADIZ, USAF gives middle finger

Post by RKE »

US B-52s Fly over China's 'Air Defense Zone'
NAHA, OKINAWA, JAPAN — An American carrier battle group and a flotilla of Japanese warships will arrive Wednesday near a vast stretch of ocean claimed by China in what is shaping up as a test of how Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and the US will stand up to the challenge.

The joint US-Japan exercises in the sea are a direct challenge to China’s claim. On Tuesday, the US military said two Air Force B-52 bombers flew over the sea without notifying Beijing despite China’s demand that it be told if anyone plans to fly military aircraft over its self-claimed “air defense zone.”
China has been laying claim to nearly 1 million square miles of ocean known as the East China Sea, insisting that the sea’s energy resources and fisheries belong to China. Much of the ocean territory it claims is hundreds of miles from its shore, including waters off the coasts of Japan, Taiwan and South Korea.

On Saturday China went further than ever, announcing it had designated much of the sea as an air-defense zone it controls. The zone includes the Japan-held Senkaku Islands, a string of uninhabited islets that China calls the Diaoyus. The Chinese Defense Ministry said the zone was created to “guard against potential air threats.”
http://www.defensenews.com/article/2013 ... ense-Zone-
LEBTowerGuy

Re: China expands ADIZ, USAF gives middle finger

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

Well I mean, we can't bomb Syria, we can't bomb Iran, we have already bombed Iraq and Afghanistan, why not poke and prod China a bit with some strategic bombers (albeit unarmed), there is nothing that can go wrong with that plan.
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

At least its a plan. Even if its a stupid one!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Whatever happened to the last bloke that drew an extended line in the sand, over water, can't remember it ending well?
Steve
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

I believe the score was 4-0 to the US Navy by the end of the 80s....
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Kennedy is dead.
You don't try and bluff the largest country in the world with the highest population of not only people but military trained people.
China has a population around 1,362,391,579, they are ants across the Globe.
If China, with all it's massive wealth and stash of U.S currency choose to stop supply of certain goods, the world would come to a stop like nothing we have seen before.
Not only would the world economy grind to a holt but our general life style, the likes of having refrigerators, TV's, solar panels, hot water, you name it would bring governments down.
We talk about the GFC, that would be a walk in the park compared to what China could do without even firing a shot, but what’s more, although being tough for them food wise, they can survive it as they have the assets and mental capacity of there roots.
These people will eat grasshoppers deep fried and love it.
Let them have the stupid islands off their coast in the China sea, there mostly rock in any case of little value.
Just my thoughts, I'm sick of conflicts.
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

fishlips wrote:Kennedy is dead.
You don't try and bluff the largest country in the world with the highest population of not only people but military trained people.
China has a population around 1,362,391,579, they are ants across the Globe.
If China, with all it's massive wealth and stash of U.S currency choose to stop supply of certain goods, the world would come to a stop like nothing we have seen before.
Not only would the world economy grind to a holt but our general life style, the likes of having refrigerators, TV's, solar panels, hot water, you name it would bring governments down.
We talk about the GFC, that would be a walk in the park compared to what China could do without even firing a shot, but what’s more, although being tough for them food wise, they can survive it as they have the assets and mental capacity of there roots.
These people will eat grasshoppers deep fried and love it.
Let them have the stupid islands off their coast in the China sea, there mostly rock in any case of little value.
Just my thoughts, I'm sick of conflicts.
Well said,Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I can understand what you say, Mark.
However, if we followed that train of thought the Falklands would now be under Argentine control, Gibraltar would be Spanish, Berlin would have been Russian and somehow I don't think that World War 2 would have been prevented unless you ended up giving away the whole of Europe and North Africa.

Sometimes you just have to set limits that you have to enforce, no matter what. It's not so much what the attitude of the US is, in this case, it is the attitude of the aggressor. It is not the only area of contention and you give in to the first act of aggression and they will probably expect you to give in to every one. That is when it gets really dangerous.
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Is it really worth going to war over. Is it really worth the pain and suffering of the poor and ill in this world. We can hardly compare this little rock in the middle of no-where to other conflicts of the past, these islands don't have a population to speak of like the Falklands.
What China can do to the world, is like the U.S. did to Japan pre-WWII, stop supply of vital assets. When China asks for something a little more substantial, like Singapore than we can get a bit huffy about it. These islands have been in dispute for decades, time to settle the matter. This would not be a war that we could win, so who flinches first.
I say give them the islands, there only bird roosts. Not like they need it for military purposes in this day and age.
It's no worth a single life lost, let alone risk Armageddon.
China doesn't ask for much, they buy what they need and mostly keep to themselves. They probably own a good share of the UK already as it is, as they do in the U.S. and Australia for that matter. What gets dangerous is when you provoke a bunch of very old men on there last legs with strategic bombers who are more than willing to drive tanks over there own people, so I doubt they give a hoot about a conflict with outsiders.
Just for once, can we mind our own business and stop throwing our service men and women into harms way simply because we have a point to make. The past decade of conflict has been a waste of life as after the troops leave, it goes back to how it was before the conflict started.
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

It's not just a matter of a couple of small rocks though, there's some rich fishing grounds and potential natural energy resources in the area. Giving in on these islands will only encourage China to repeat the matter elsewhere - IIRC they're also pretending that some islands off the Philippines belongs to them.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I don't think that this discussion should escalate as I think that both points are valid.
In this particular case you are correct in that the ground in dispute is uninhabited. This particular dispute is about control of the area and future resources. The point is that this dispute should be solved by diplomacy and not by aggression.

Japan and China have recent bad blood and there is just too much chance of something bad happening.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

China would ruin it's own economy if it decided to stop producing goods for the rest of the world.

China has HUGE problems looming, just getting fresh water and running toilets to 1.3B people is an enormous challenge. As they transition from an agricultural society to more of an urban society, I predict they will have serious problems.

There are entire cities in China that are empty, built with high rise apartments and all, and they are completely empty.

The real worry is what happens when 1.3B people decide that they don't want their voices censured any longer and that communism or whatever form of it the government there practices, decide to revolt.

THAT will be bad for the whole planet.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

MIKE JG wrote:China would ruin it's own economy if it decided to stop producing goods for the rest of the world.

China has HUGE problems looming, just getting fresh water and running toilets to 1.3B people is an enormous challenge. As they transition from an agricultural society to more of an urban society, I predict they will have serious problems.

There are entire cities in China that are empty, built with high rise apartments and all, and they are completely empty.

The real worry is what happens when 1.3B people decide that they don't want their voices censured any longer and that communism or whatever form of it the government there practices, decide to revolt.

THAT will be bad for the whole planet.
Then there will far less than 1.3 billion people at the end of the revolt (and far less than the present 7 billion globally)
mr.bean
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

SITUATION UPDATE REGARDING ADIZ

Post by mr.bean »

China has sent warplanes to its newly declared air defence zone in the East China Sea, state media reports.

The vast zone, announced last week, covers territory claimed by China, Japan, Taiwan and South Korea.

China has said all planes transiting the zone must file flight plans and identify themselves, or face "defensive emergency measures".

But Japan, South Korea and the US have all since flown military aircraft through the area.
The new dispute in an already tense region has raised concerns it could escalate into an unplanned military incident.

China's state news agency Xinhua quoted air force spokesman Col Shen Jinke as saying several fighter jets and an early warning aircraft had been deployed to carry out routine patrols as "a defensive measure and in line with international common practices".

He said the country's air force would remain on high alert and would take measures to deal with all air threats to protect national security.

In Xinhua's Chinese language version of the article, the colonel said the aircraft would "strengthen the monitoring of targets in the air defence zone and do their duty".
Read more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-ch ... WEET968853
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

If it means waking up to a weather report of being cloudy and 2000 degree's, then I'd prefer to sleep-in that morning.