Creating ai from fsx/p3dv4 to msfs

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
tornado3367
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Creating ai from fsx/p3dv4 to msfs

Post by tornado3367 »

Hi guys. Is there a way I can get military ai aircraft working in msfs using the legacy importer as well as using ai flight planner? :?:
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Creating ai from fsx/p3dv4 to msfs

Post by John Young »

That's not something we have extensively explored, preferring conversion of an FSX model with MCX. I don't know if the legacy importer will cope with the complexities of the xml triggers and coding needed for AI aircraft. Pete may be able to say more, when he next passes by.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

As John stated, none of us have tried that. I have a few sceneries that require the conversion using legacy importer for static purposes. Most of them point to our models to be converted.

However, static is one thing flyable and AI are more complex.
Steve
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: MSFS

Post by PB68 »

tornado3367 wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 17:40 Hi guys. Is there a way I can get military ai aircraft working in msfs using the legacy importer as well as using ai flight planner? :?:

Yes, you have to bare in mind however that the MSFS AI Offline System is currently broken, but it is possible to put FSX AI Aircraft models into MSFS, in the way that you describe. You would have to use the Legacy Importer tool to extract and generate data for the
multiple Aircraft Config files required by MSFS for each model variant. If you would be using AI Aircraft models from a package that already includes an FSX AI Traffic file, the Traffic file ( bgl ) would be able to be used as is.
You would be able to get some of the Aircraft effects working, but not things like afterburners or smoke etc.
Some custom animations on the model, may not work as intended or as they did so in FSX .

Please understand that this is not the route that the developers here at MAIW have taken.
We have chosen to fully convert the Models to the MSFS glTF model standard. This means that practically all of the bells and whistles that the MSFS SDK provides can be implemented into the model, including the use of the superior PBR Materials and Advanced Visual Effects.
We are able to customize the model much more than before, using modern xml coding. We are also able to make parameters changes to the coding very quickly, without having to recompile the model. Needless to say, this has been a learning curve that has taken many months to get to grips with. John will vouch for that !!

Kind Regards,

Pete.