Reinstalling FSX

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Reinstalling FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

For some unknown reason FSX crashes everytime during loading a flight. So I'm going delete that and install on the different SSD. However I have lots of simobjects, addon scenery, etc. I want to move them to another SSD for back up before I remove the current verion of FSX. Then copy them to the new FSX.
question: would a FS9 AI aircrfat cause the crash. Its before the traffic is loaded and seems to crash when loading terrain.

TIA
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Jorgen
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: Reinstalling FSX

Post by Jorgen »

VulcanDriver,

If you haven't started the uninstall/reinstall process already, could you see if you can find any crash info from Windows Event Viewer?

When I had FSX, I had no issues with FS9 AI aircraft.

Jorgen
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Jorgan

Unfortunatly i'm reintalling at the moment. it seems to be taking a long time.

regards
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

OK. If you get crashes again after the reinstall, drop a note here.

Jorgen
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

Remeove the last add on installed.... one by one... You will find with component cause the crash
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

So far no crashes. but when I try to install FSX Acceleration it tells me to remove FSX SP2. Is that on Disk 2 of FSX?
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No it is the Service Pack 2. If you have that installed. Check your version in game and see if that mentions SP2.

I would guess that if you don't know what SP2 is that you haven't applied that to FSX so it shouldn't be an issue. If the version that you installed includes SP2, which doesn't sound likely, then you can't install the acceleration pack. I think that SP1, SP2 and Acceleration pack were all addons to be applied separately.
Steve
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

If what you have is a 3-DVD set, sometimes known as FSX Gold, then you have FSX Acceleration.

The installation process is then that you install the first 2 DVDs, and at the end of installation let FSX run for a minute or so, shot it down and then register it. Now reboot and then install the third DVD (the Acceleration part), and at the end of its installation again let FSX run, shut it down and register Acceleration.

With the 3-DVD set and instaling it like this, there is no need for the service packs.

Jorgen
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I had SP2 applied, removed it as told to by the accleration CD. Mine was damged which meant it failed to install, so I've got one off ebay which should be here after easter. I'm not getting the modules menu on the top bar of FSX. I've installed FSUIP 4 successfully and its in the modules folder

One good thing is that FSX has speeded up loading time. Its now got its own 1Tb SSD.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Got the Acceleration disc but due to a mistake by Microsoft in the registry entry it thought it was a demo version. Found the hack and all is well again.
That'll teach me from using dubious software in the first place.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

So are back to being fully operational now?
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 19:42 So are back to being fully operational now?
Yep and it's faster. So far so good.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It will definitely speed up the loading of data. It is why I got a second NVMe drive just for MSFS.
Steve