Tutorials anyone ? HELP

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
bc55
Cadet
Cadet

Tutorials anyone ? HELP

Post by bc55 »

Hiya,

I am new at this, been using MyTraffic a while, ditched it because it was a resource eater and the plans were inaccurate.

Wanna take up WOAI and MAIW now, and make my own stuff too.

Anyone able to point me to a real good tutorial on

- what I need ( software )
- how to maske Flight Plansd
- how to make them use certain aircraft
- whether I need special low polygon aircraft or just any ....

Thanks

& sorry for the stupid questions .....

Sven
alexrfixit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by alexrfixit »

Assuming you are using FS9, first thing you need is Traffic Tools by Lee Swordy (available at AVSIM or any of the major download sites) - one of the finest tools ever created for FS! Get hold of that and read the extensive readme file - it'll give you all the basic information you need for producing flightplans.

Good luck & have fun!! :D
Where did I put my beer??!
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Low polygon aircraft are preferrable.

In the absence of them you can use a flyable aircraft but you will need to fiddle with the aircraft.cfg file, and use an AI air file.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Sven,

As you are starting out probably a good start is to install some of the MAIW and WoAI packages that you want. All of the aircraft in these packages are low poly only.
What this will do is make you familiar with the aircraft and the AI aircraft manufacturers, so that once you get to grips with Ttools you will have a far better understanding of what you can use for your own packages.
Steve
bc55
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bc55 »

alexrfixit wrote:Assuming you are using FS9, first thing you need is Traffic Tools by Lee Swordy (available at AVSIM or any of the major download sites) - one of the finest tools ever created for FS! Get hold of that and read the extensive readme file - it'll give you all the basic information you need for producing flightplans.

Good luck & have fun!! :D
Hiya,

naw, I'm using FSX - I uninstalled FS9 a long while back .....
bc55
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bc55 »

Firebird wrote:Hi Sven,

As you are starting out probably a good start is to install some of the MAIW and WoAI packages that you want. All of the aircraft in these packages are low poly only.
What this will do is make you familiar with the aircraft and the AI aircraft manufacturers, so that once you get to grips with Ttools you will have a far better understanding of what you can use for your own packages.
Hiya Firebird,

thanks. Yeah, I have installed A LOT of your packages, and they are great - someone pointed me to a Luftwaffe Eurofighter pack - I can't find it on the site though - what am I missing.

I would like to cover the GAF Tornado bases, as well as F-4 bases and the LTGs ( transport C-160, Hueys ) and Flugbereitschaft ( CL60, A310 ) with my own AI traffic.

Can I use low-polygon models from before FS9 ? There are some I found from FS2002 or 2000, which are only several hundred KB in size.

What I am actually looking for is sort of a quick reference guide, like, what needs to be in a command line for AI to work, what CAN be there, etc.

I want the traffic to behave as realistically as possible, for instance, in MyTraffic, there were no formations. I take it from some of the videos I see here that they are indeed possible. Most every sortie flown in the GAF involves a two-ship formation.

Also, the departure phases and arrival phases should look realistic, having 8-10 aircraft taxi out in short succession and then line up for depature, with some returning after a brief flight for a series of TnGos while others fly straight in, a few do formation overflights and the initial to enter the pattern, that's stuff you don't see in other products.

I could use some help with aircraft paints though.

If anyone has ready-made repaints and models, please PM me, and maybe you could let me use them in my AI traffic.

Thanx

Sven
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

FS has severe limitations with what it can do flight-wise. Some of the formation stuff that is done here takes quite a bit of practice. Did you read the TTools document yet?
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
bc55
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bc55 »

BadPvtDan wrote:FS has severe limitations with what it can do flight-wise. Some of the formation stuff that is done here takes quite a bit of practice. Did you read the TTools document yet?
Doing so as we speak. Basically, all I want is two-ships and single-ship sorties, if you see them take off together and maybe even return together, that's fine ( if at all possible ) .....

If it can be done here, can it not be ported to other AI traffic ?

Cheers

Sven
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

bc55 wrote:Doing so as we speak. Basically, all I want is two-ships and single-ship sorties, if you see them take off together and maybe even return together, that's fine ( if at all possible ) .....

If it can be done here, can it not be ported to other AI traffic ?

Cheers

Sven
The problem, like Dan said, is FS limits the "availability" of those desires. In order to take off as a two ship you would either need multiple AFCADS, or have two runways that look like one and then work out the taxi paths of the aircraft to make sure they arrive at their respective hold short nodes at approx. the time... then do the same thing for the airport you have it going to(which really isn't going to matter because when it returns to its home airport they're both going to use the same runway because they'll both be coming from the same direction... unless you made special adjustments there as well).

So while it is possible to have formation flights it's just not practical for standard operations but instead for special purposes(demonstration teams and the like). However, if you really want to learn, I would begin with taking a look at Mike's Thunderbird demonstration package as well as the TOP GUN flybys.
--Chris
bc55
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bc55 »

SMOC wrote:So while it is possible to have formation flights it's just not practical for standard operations but instead for special purposes(demonstration teams and the like). However, if you really want to learn, I would begin with taking a look at Mike's Thunderbird demonstration package as well as the TOP GUN flybys.
Hiya,

ok. And that's a package I can find on your download page ?!

Thanks

Sven
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

bc55 wrote:Hiya,

ok. And that's a package I can find on your download page ?!

Thanks

Sven
Mike's TBird package isn't an official MAIW package but like all MAIW packages can be found on avsim.
--Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sven,

OK the answer to the question of where the German Eurofighters are is here http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=114542.

I see that you are using FSX, which we don't officially support, but Celtic Warrior has written a document to help you convert packages. It can be found on this site. I myself do not have FSX installed so I can't answer questions specifically on this.

On the question of using pre-FS9 models my suggestion is don't. There are problems with a lot of FS2002 models in FS9, so this will only be worse in FSX. Stick with specific AI models you are likely to get less issues. Also non-AI models you will probably have to amend the FDE to make it fly correctly, not an easy job.

On the subject of the quick reference guide, the ttools guide is that. It goes into the format of the three text files that are used to compile the bgl, it can also decompile into the three text files as well.
Be warned though that FS9 bgls have to be converted to work in FSX, but one step at a time.

Now formation flying, even a pair, takes very careful setup and it WILL affect your normal flying from the base. My suggestion here would be to avoid it UNTIL you have a handle on the single aircraft. You will notice that although we have multiple aircraft flying the same route at the same time they are all single flights.
Steve
bc55
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bc55 »

Firebird wrote:Sven,

I see that you are using FSX, which we don't officially support, but Celtic Warrior has written a document to help you convert packages. It can be found on this site. I myself do not have FSX installed so I can't answer questions specifically on this.
Thanks for your answers, Firebird -

but I'm a bit confused. WOAI installer offers to install their packages into FSX, and I figured that would work in a similar fashion with the MAIW packages.

I seem to be mistaken .....

So their packages are compatible to FSX, and yours aren't ?

Thanks

Sven
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

They are not packaged for, tested or designed in FSX. That they can work in FSX (with tweaking I guess) is those user's good fortune.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

My understanding of the WOAI packages "for FSX" is this (and I have installed and used a bunch of them):

1. The difference in weekday numbering in the flightplan.txt files is different - so they adjust that before compiling - 1 traffic bgl for FS9 and another for FSX. You don't see it unless you install both bgls separately and compare them after decompiling. Some early packages just installed the same traffic bgl to the ..scenery/world/scenery subfolder without conversion, I think; but that's not hte case now for sure. The days seem to be corrected before FSX installation.

2. The "normal" installation destinations for aircraft are different in the two versions.
In FS9, it's the FS9/Aircraft subfolder
In FSX, it's the FSX/simobjects/Aircraft subfolder.
The installer DOES allow you to change the aircraft installation destination, as I have, to somewhere other than the "normal" subfolder. For instance, I install AI commercial aircraft to ..Simobjects/Aircraft/Comm and AI military aircraft to ..Simbojects/Military.
My "flyable"/non-AI aircraft are in ..Simobjects/Aircraft subfolder itself.

3. WOAI does not make adjustments for the differences in parking specs for FS9 and FSX. This is important because FSX determines parking for arriving aircraft using different criteria and sequencing than FS9. Microsoft DID make things a bit easier in FSX by allowing aircraft.cfg files to use up to 4 different atc_parking_code's and they actually work (ex., F16,32FS,USAF,RAF would be a valid entry in FSX where only the first code would be used in FS9 before defaulting to the aircraft_parking_type_code was used).
**This is important to remember when checking afcad/parking usage for their "FSX" packages.

Other than that, there seem to be no important differences between the WOAI FS9 and FSX package installations - at least not that I have found.

Hope this helps.
bc55
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bc55 »

Ford Friendly wrote:
Other than that, there seem to be no important differences between the WOAI FS9 and FSX package installations - at least not that I have found.

Hope this helps.
Hiya Ford Friendly,

that's great ! Thanks - luckily, there are people out there who know what they are talking about and can help me out.

I will be installing WOAI today, after re-installing my whole FSX setup, so I am looking forward to it very much.

I like the fact that you can install just the airlines you want, and not HAVE TO install everything in one go. I rarely ever fly in Africa or South America, also Asia and Ex-Soviet-Union, so I saw no need in installing AI Traffic from those countries, unless it was a large airline that frequents destinations all over the world, like South African, Japan Air Lines, Air China, Royal Jordanian etc.

Cheers

Sven