Bad Weather lighting

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Bad Weather lighting

Post by VulcanDriver »

Flying into Cold Lake during the day when real-weather gave me a snow storm. I noticed that the runway was nearly invisible and I thought that in the real world the lights would be on.

Anyway you can get FS9 to put runway lights on when visibility drops below a certain distance?

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
ricktk
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by ricktk »

I no longer have FS9 installed but am now running FSX. Your observation intriqued me, so I ran a small test at the local airport.

Runway lights in clear visibility come on at dusk.
With my tests, types of weather made no difference on the lighting: snow, rain, overcast, etc. On visibility it did. They remained off at visibility of 3 miles(4.8 km) , and came on at vis of 2 miles (3.2 km).

Again this is FSX, but I cannot believe that it is different for FS9 :?: But I can understand what you are saying, because in FS, 2 mile vis looks like you are just off the runway end, and the default runway lights are less visibile then the default FS9 ones. :)

While I was holding in slew mode off the runway, and made a change in the vis from 3 mi to 2 mi, it took the sim about 10 sec to make the change to lights on. That is with no traffic running, or much else to effect the frame rates.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Rick

Thanks for the reply. It does seem that its not a real as it can get! 2 miles at F-18 speeds is bit too short!

Cheers

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Kinda makes you appreciate ILS doesn't it.
Steve