UKMIL closes doors

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

UKMIL closes doors

Post by Ford Friendly »

According to the placeholder/home page of the UKMIL website, UKMIL is now closed.

Apparently the operator(s) got fed up with those who bitched, whined, and criticized, so he packed up his website and UKMIL is now gone ---- until at least the Fall of this year.

Too bad. Some of the best scenery, ai aircraft and flyables came out of that group.

Sigh.
Why waste 'trons for a snappy signature when I can use this?
Stevo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Stevo »

Hi

Read down this thread on UKAR

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7416

I've posted in reply to the messages

Stevo ;)
Rimmer: Step up to red alert.
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Hopefully you'll post the address of your new site if/when you have one.

Good luck.
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

That's a shame.

While I am sympathetic to what happened (we all know there are a LOT of ungrateful people out there) perhaps that statement on their front page could have been a little more tact.

Good luck UKMil, look forward to you re-opening your doors whenever you're ready.
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

They will be back, just know it....
Maybe the Gaffer has gone on a long cruise with ALL his Club fee's! (Joke)

As from next week MAIW will also use a club subscription based fee. All packages will be available once you have joined the MAIW club for $5 USD (Or wait for them to go freeware after 2 months) Details to follow.

Barry
Is it april 1st yet?
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

btaylo24 wrote:Maybe **** has gone on a long cruise with ALL his Club fee's! (Joke)
IMHO, the problem with subscription fees is exactly that ---- it's hard to eliminate the feeling that once paid, the service/files paid_for/subscribed_to will just vanish, as mine now have at UKMIL. Notice that even members who have paid their subscription fee can no longer access the file download area despite having paid the fee. It's the nature of the Internet.

I am not implying that even a nominal fee is unrealistic or asking too much for what is being offered from the perspective of those producing packages or running the website(s). My point is that, like UKMIL today, things can just disappear from the web and thus, I am skeptical about ANY subscription fee having been in this exact position numerous times with other sites/endeavors. At some point, one has to draw a line and decide NOT to cross it. Today the line was drawn for me.

I guess that I must now go in search of a calendar while locking my piggybank, checkbook and credit card in a safe. Sigh. Not a very positive day on the military ai front if you ask me.
-----To put the above in perspective----
Before anyone jumps all over the above post/sentiments, let me say that I created and ran both a 100% self-funded, free-access site, and a separate, subscription-based and funded-by-click-thru-banner-ads site. In effect, these were competing personal introduction service each averaging 50-100,000 unique visitors a week some 7 years ago [considering Internet traffic levels then, those number were VERY respectable]. Thus, I have been on the provider, vice consumer, side of things before. Obviously, web site operators/managers will do what they have to do. Consumer actions originate from different perspectives.

And just when I had begun to publicly share a few files with people here. Sigh. Since I won't pay the subscription fee, I guess that THAT won't continue, but I am sure my few meager "shares" won't be missed. :(
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

*hehe* I wonder how many people will believe you there, Barry. :lol:

On the situation there, whilst I personally do not agree with some of the aspects of UKMIL, which I do not wish to go into, I do feel for the users that have come to rely on the site. I feel even sorrier for those that took the decision to become Club members.

I am also uncomfortable with Dave's closing down statement, but it's contents could be mitigated by the fact that it was an emotional decision for him to do this.
Steve
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

BTW, I did notice the "is it it April 1st" comment.
Nevertheless, the sentiment remains exactly the same.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ford,
I noticed that you deliberately didn't mention Barry's humour, the heat gets to him you know, and I find nothing wrong with your sentiments.

N.B. Once Dan finds out that you were a vice consumer you will probably find that he is your new best friend. :)
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Never fear friends and users of MAIW.
I will not be outdone by the Gaffer I tell you! I am currently penning my dying manifesto when the ungrateful heathen that are Staff and Contributors and Beta Testers no longer produce military packages for my flight-simming amusement!

You'll pay? Really?
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

BadPvtDan wrote:You'll pay? Really?
Actually, yes, I'd pay for the MAIW packages!

On the other hand, look what happens when freeware developers begin charging for their wares. I mean, Henry brought out the payware Cessna package and then he was never heard from again. Is there a secret organisation out there who do away with any freeware developers who turn their back on the bretheren? :lol:

Watch out for the black Suburbans outside the door :wink:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Stevo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Stevo »

Hi,

As one of the departing scenery designers (which as far as we where aware we left on good terms leaving a good legacy as the post on UKAR shows) I feel the Gaffers decistion is less than impressive and very disappointing both for member and paying members, I don't see how he came to such a selfish decision. I'm just glad we didn't have anything to to with the money side of things. I feel for all the club members!

It's really amazing that no matter how long you work with someone (2 years) you can never predict what that person will do next.

Reading the extremely self-righteous message on the main ukmil page it seems to me that some serious personal issues need to be sorted before the site is brought back in any form.

And because of the message on the main page I'm really glad to be out of there as it really does show a certain amount of 'true colours'

'To have respect, respect must be given in return'

Stevo ;)
phil6765
Cadet
Cadet

Post by phil6765 »

I wish someone had sent me an email or something to let me know what was happening.

Phil
Now Ex Scenery Designer
UKMIL :cry:

Any vacancies anyone?? :(
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

All kidding aside...rest assured we'll never charge here at MAIW. We happily bear the costs of what we do. That being said, my situation is not the next guys situation.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

phil6765 wrote:I wish someone had sent me an email or something to let me know what was happening.

Phil
Now Ex Scenery Designer

Phil we at MAIW are always interested in new blood and talent. If you are interested, the news item on our front page explains who to contact and how.
Steve
Stevo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Stevo »

phil6765 wrote:I wish someone had sent me an email or something to let me know what was happening.

Phil
Now Ex Scenery Designer

Hi Phil

I've sent you a private message.

Stevo ;)
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by rocket_26_ »

Hello All

As one of the three departed, I have to say I cannot believe the decision to close the doors and especially just hours after the announcement was made on us leaving. I feel for all the members and paying members that such a rash decision was made.

For the record all of our in progress sceneries will be still created, just under the new site and for free. :wink:

Cheers

Ian
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I too am one of the 3 scenery designers that left UKMIL yesterday. I have to say that I have rarely experienced "bitching" about my work. I don't think Stevo and Ian got much either.

I guess between us, we must have invested at least 2 -3 thousand hours of design effort at UKMIL. We did not take the decision to leave lightly. It was necessary and deeply personal, but it wasn't remotely due to user "bitching". On the contrary UKMIL'ers have generally been a great bunch of people to design for and I feel truly sorry for the unnecessary loss of their facility.

John
Stevo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Stevo »

Well said John

;)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Damm it! I had this great idea for an April fools prank all ready to go and Barry has to go and ruin it! Damm you Taylor, I'm coming to Auz and we're going to settle this like little children!!

:D :D :D

All kidding aside, it is sad to see things like this.

As a moderator can I ask that we keep any discussions related to UKMIL's demise to a respectful tone as has been done so far in this thread. If ya'll need to vent, that's fine as well, just be respectful about it. Thanks.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log