Help with FS9

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
scottr5213
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Help with FS9

Post by scottr5213 »

I have installed fs9 on a new computer and downloaded all new sceneries, the problem is after I activate the sceneries, exit out and restart the sceneries are not there anymore.

windows vista
AMD Phenom 9500
3GB DDR2
GForce 9800 GTX
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Hey Scott

Are you saying they disappear from your scenery list or they do not show up in game?

Mark
Mark
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

I will add them through addon scenery, then exit fs and restart and they are gone off the list, but I can go to the scenery 1 time and when I exit again they dont come back. So every other time I start FS I have to reload addon scenery.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It sounds like your NewScenery.cfg file is either being deleted or not being picked up.
When you make a change it doesn't alter the scenery.cfg it creates a newscenery.cfg and when you next load it looks for that file first. if it finds one it renames scenery.cfg to oldscenery.cfg and newscenery.cfg to scenery.cfg and then loads it. I think those are the correct names.

After you make the amendments check to see if the new file is created. then watch what happens when you reload. My guess is that the cause is due to security rules/protocols under vista, and you haven't loaded FS9 correctly to run under your logon and therefore either the creation or renaming doesn't work.

Maybe a vista user can help out here.
Steve
msm8378
Captain
Captain

Scenery Problem

Post by msm8378 »

If you are using VISTA, then this is most likely a problem being caused by the "User Account Control" or UAC which is the enhanced security feature MS stuck in the OS. It can be a real pain to deal with as it prevents programs from creating/updating files unless special permissions are setup.

You can turn this feature off via the control panel or go to the flight sim root folder, right click on it, select properties, the security tab, and edit the permissions for the "USER - _____" account. When you select this account and look at the default permissions allowed you will see that it does not allow programs used by this account to write files. Just edit the permissions to allow full control and the problem should be solved. 8)
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Won't help much now, but -

UAC only applies to the "Program Files" folder, installing any program into any other folder by-passes UAC totally.