Bodo scenery - floating AI

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Bodo scenery - floating AI

Post by garysted »

Hi all,

I always thought I'd escape the dreaded floating AI problem but have finally got caught out and am at a loss in where to go now.

A long time ago I was setting up the AI Norwegian F-16s and went back to have another look tonight at Bodo (ENBO) as I have the Norwegian Airports scenery pack installed - and all the AI (both mine, MAIW and the civil stuff from WOAI) are all in hover mode - can't remember if it was like that before. As it's all AI then I assume it's a airport problem, although it appears to only be Bodo. Changing the AFCAD to several different heights makes no difference at all.

After a few searches I found this JABBgl programme that came up a few times, so I downloaded this and tried it. I wasn't sure whenever I was meant to use this on the ENBO AFCAD (which I figured was only repeating what I'd done manually before anyway) or the add-on scenery bgl's. I tried it on the ENBO Bgl files anyway, but it didn't appear to work on them or recognise them (possibly me being unfamiliar with how it works).

I've uninstalled the scenery, reinstalled and even installed a older version, with no change. Have found the Norwegian's own site but most is not in English and can't find any obvious corrections, and I'm suprised that I can't find anybody else having the same problem given it's not a new scenery and seems quite popular. Can anybody offer any advise please?

Gary
Military aviation photography in the UK

My photo website
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Its sounds like you have checked the obvious, that the afcad heights are the same as the default afcad height.

The next thing I would do is check for a mesh file that has lowered the height of the airfield below that of the scenery. If it has I think that you need a correction to the scenery, but I think that a scenery modeler would be best placed to speak about such things.
Steve
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

You could also have a duplicate afcad with a incorrect height taking cover somewhere in you system.

I had the same problem at Leeming and Middle Wallop, removed the duplicate and all was ok.

Mark
Mark
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Gents,

Thanks for the comments. I've pulled the only other AFCAD for Bodo that was found without any change. Any ideas on what to look for in the add on scenery folder? The 'scenery' folder within the Norwegian airports folder has the following three bgl's specific to ENBO;

enbo_underexc.bgl
ENBOexc.bgl
ENBOflt.exc

What these do or how to open them without showing gibberish is a little bit over my head, but am open to sugestions.

Gary

My photo website
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Just a thought swap those two afcads round and see if you have the same problem with the one you just removed. If the problem goes away then you know it's the other afcad file at fault.

Mark
Mark
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Hi again,

Thanks for your help Mark, but I stumbled across the solution almost by accident. I started to randomly take out the three bgl files to see what happend and was lucky when the first one (ENBOflt.exc) had the desired effect - no change to scenery that I can see, yet everything now sits on the ground. It doesn't really matter that much but I added new taxiways to Bodo on the AFCAD to connect up some of the HAS's (some of these are just isolated on their own in the scenery), to the main taxiways and it looks like the scenery add-on goes over the top of any AFCAD made taxiways as they don't show. As I say, it doesn't really matter but if anybody knows how to get round this and add some new visible taxiways I'd love to hear.

Gary.

My photo website
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Hey Gary,

Glad you sorted the floaters out mate we all hate them...lol. As for the taxiway not showing on the scenery Im afraid I not sure how to fix that but I am sure someone will throw in a hand later.

Mark
Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gary,
I had a quick look at the package you mentioned. Did you install all of the package or just pull out the Bodo bits?
As there is one file which you didn't mention, BODOSNOP.bgl, and also have you got the update 4 zip as it has replacement files for the three files you mentioned.

P.S. I have actually been there on a 56 Sqn Det. Great time. Although we did upset the neighbours :oops: .
Nice town and wonderful if you like fishing.
Steve
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Hi Firebird,

I overlooked that file, I didn't think to look for files titled Bodo, only the ones with ENBO as part of the description. Oops! Do you think this had any bearing on the original problem (now fixed) or the lack of taxiways?

I can't find any links or mention of a update 4 zip for this at flightsim, avsim or the Norwegian's own site. There's a lot of earlier versions stretching back but I believe I do have the latest one installed now that I can find (either 'norap06' zip or 'norap2004_2' depending on where you download - it appears to be the same version). That said, I was looking at some vid's on youtube of FS flights taken at Bodo and at least one had the same basic scenery as I've got (complete with isolated HAS's) but had a large circular radar aerial (I'm guessing that's what it was) on one of the hills, where as mine has a completely different aerial visible in that position.

Can you say where you got this update 4 from?

Gary

PS If you were on 56 then you must have been stationed in my part of the world - Wattisham. Lovely place, you just tend to get noisy helo's over your head in the early hours some nights!

My photo website
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Gary,
Yep I spent my last days in the RAF at WTM, loadsa fun, can't believe its full of pongos now. :wink:

Whilst I am trying to find that update file I did find something useful that might help. On flightsim.no there is a fix for Bodo AI, my guess is that it has to be for the Norway 2004 scenery http://www.flightsim.no/file/FS2004/Sce ... opa/Norge/.
What I did find is that in the same section, different page is an entry for Norske Flyplasser and the file name is NORAP04_3, dated this year. My guess is that they have rolled in all the updates into one file.

What I would say is try the _3 package and if that doesn't work then try the AI fix. Even though I couldn't understand Norwegian its fairly easy to follow.
Steve
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Hi again Firebird.

Thanks for the links, I downloaded the Ai fix and version 4_3, which did seem to be a later version than what I had before. I had some hope this would make the scenery a little more connected, particularly between the isolated HAS's. I'm afraid it started a a bit of a mess that I've just put back together! Version 4_3 looked good, with more taxiways, but went back to the floating AI again. I stuck the 'AI fix' in the folder were indicated, replacing the same file already there - it over compensated, with all wheels now underground! I tried version 4_3 with the file I removed from the earlier version, that corrrected the problem first time. no luck and a lot of missing apron textures, which didn't happen on teh first version strangely! I need tried to mix and match some texture folders and bgl files from both versions hoping to get the extra taxiways and correct level AI but could not get that combination so have gone back to the first version with the original bgl file removed, it's not perfect but will do. I don't suppose these is a way to add visible taxiways with AFCAD when you've got a scenery package installed - I'm guessing it requires knowledge of the specific files in question.

Thanks Firebird for the help anyway.

Gary

My photo website
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Gary,
I think that you can but it all has to do with layers. It may depend upon where your afcad is.
What I mean is if your afcad is in your default Addon Scenery folder and that is below the scenery then if there is an exclude with the scenery it will wipe out features added by your afcad. It all depends upon your personal FS9 config.
Some people swear that keeping the Addon Scenery at the top of the list is the best option, but I found that it caused me more problems as I increased the amount of scenery. I keep it at the top of the default MS folders but below all addon scenery folders, far less afcad issues.

I once spent over a week working out why my UK2000 Warton was wiped off the face of the earth before I discovered that it was an MAIW exclude causing the problem.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

Noticed this problem also in other airports of the same package... And some airports don't have an Afcad file!
garysted
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by garysted »

Hi James/Firebird,

I believe you have to download the AFCAD's from the download site(s) separately. I've put the link down below if you're looking for them.

http://www.flightsim.no/norway/naframe_ ... el=afcad_e

I'll have to have a play around with the order of my scenery to see if I can get the AFCAD taxiways to work. One thing I have done though is to add a separate Gardermoen/Oslo scenery above the Norwegian airports scenery as the apron and taxiway textures at this airport on the Norwegian scenery keep breaking up and vanishing - seen that before but don't know why it happens.

Gary

My photo website
james84

Post by james84 »

Fantastic! This was missing for me! Thanks Garysted!