Lockheed Martin unveils first F-16 Block 52 ordered by Pakis

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Lockheed Martin unveils first F-16 Block 52 ordered by Pakis

Post by maddog65 »

Another package to put on the list to develop. :)

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... istan.html

DATE:13/10/09
SOURCE:Flightglobal.com
Lockheed Martin unveils first F-16 Block 52 ordered by Pakistan
By Stephen Trimble

Lockheed Martin today unveiled the first of up to 36 F-16 Block 52 fighters that could be sold to the Pakistan Air Force in a ceremony attended by the chiefs of both Pakistani US air forces.

The so-called “Peace Drive I” programme brokered by the US government once called for Pakistan to buy up to 55 F-16s. That number has been reduced to firm orders for 12 single-seat F-16C and six F-16Ds.

Pakistan also has signed options to buy 18 more F-16 Block 52s, all powered by Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 engines.

The F-16s currently on order represent the “latest configuration of the best 4th generation multirole fighter available in the world today,” John Larson, vice president of F-16 programmes for Lockheed Martin, said in a statement.

In June 2006, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency listed the systems that Pakistan had requested for its F-16s.

Requested sensors included Northrop Grumman mechanically-scanned APG-68(V)9 radars and ITT ALQ-211(V)9 advanced integrated defensive electronic warfare suites (AIDEWS) without digital radio frequency memory.

The proposed weapons package included an order for 500 Raytheon AIM-120C5 advanced medium range air to air missiles, 200 Raytheon AIM-9M-8/9 Sidewinders, 500 Boeing joint direct attack munitions, 1,600 enhanced GBU-12/24 laser-guided bombs and 700 BLU-109 penetrator bombs.

Lockheed is also under contract to upgrade 34 Pakistan F-16A/B Block 15 fighters with modern weapons and sensors.

First delivery for the newly-built F-16 Block 52 is scheduled in December. The event will mark the first F-16 order fulfilled to Pakistan since the US government suspended deliveries under the previous Peace Gate IV programme in the early 1990s.
Les

Re: Lockheed Martin unveils first F-16 Block 52 ordered by Pakis

Post by james84 »

Hmmm... I'd be curious to know whether USAF is using/going to use the new generation F-16...
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

james84 wrote:Hmmm... I'd be curious to know whether USAF is using/going to use the new generation F-16...
I'd be surprised ... F-35 is the next generation just around the corner.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

True, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see new build -16s built for the ANG at least. Not enough -35s will be built to replace all those knackered -15s and -16s.
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

I don't think they plan to replace them with anything.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You may well be right, Dan. I think it depends upon the relative size of other forces around the world and USAF commitments.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Hence the "fighter gap" that most military aviation magazines are just happy to report about. I would love to see the ANG get updated something and not old active hand-me downs.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

They certainly need it as they are pretty much part of the active duty forces these days.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
james84

Post by james84 »

Firebird wrote:True, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see new build -16s built for the ANG at least. Not enough -35s will be built to replace all those knackered -15s and -16s.
And the F-35 should be more expensive than the Viper!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

And a first pic:

Interesting paint scheme on it......
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
ani4may
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ani4may »

the pakistani airforce is being helped sighting the fact that they may be of strategic help in the subcontinent .

the only fear is that the taliban is encroaching upon pakistan .

they already have an internal turmoil to handle .

if hi tech stuff gets into the hands of the taliban , i fear i will have to dig a bunker to hide in here in india .
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well I know you guys don't get along but you have to admit that they are taking it to the Taliban recently. This would tend to suggest that the Taliban probably aren't interested in you, for the time being. Worry, if they take over the country.
Steve
ani4may
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ani4may »

Firebird wrote:Well I know you guys don't get along but you have to admit that they are taking it to the Taliban recently. This would tend to suggest that the Taliban probably aren't interested in you, for the time being. Worry, if they take over the country.

only yesterday did the indian media post a video of the chief of the tehrikey taliban pakistan say:

"we will sit on the border of india soon and help the pakistani army in the war for kashmir "

you remember what happened last time when they retreated and signed some kind of ceasfire in which they surrendered the swat valley . it was a scene right out of the 'lord of the rings' . they rushed in to occupy the valley just like the oaks ran out of the black gate .
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well you would know the regions politics far better than we could understand. I still think that it would be really, really stupid to try and take on two forces at the same time.
Steve