MAIW Exotic Albert-Indonesia AI Package Copyright

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Pixy
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

MAIW Exotic Albert-Indonesia AI Package Copyright

Post by Pixy »

Since I didn't know where I should post this, so I decided to post here. You can move this thread to the right section of forum if I'm wrong.

My friend (or should I say Online Friend) made an AI package consisting whole airline and some AFCAD in Indonesia. He put C-130 AIs in his package. When I opened the aircraft.cfg, there was a description : repaint by Graham King. I realized that this AI C-130 TNI-AU was one of your AI Package MAIW Exotic Albert-Indonesia. I asked him where he got it, but he didn't answer. So, is this alright? Just made AI package without permission from the author? And now he's about to make a new update and consisting F-16s and Hawks! In Indonesia, no one made AI repaint and scenery like that, only you, The MAIW guys has made it. So, MAYBE he's going to use your MAIW Export Hawks - Indonesia AI Package.
Tatit
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: MAIW Exotic Albert-Indonesia AI Package Copyright

Post by Firebird »

Well, generally put, if people approach us and ask us, before they release anything, we are generally obliging and appreciate that they acknowledge other peoples work.

We take a very dim view of people using even freeware in their own packages without asking and w/o seeking permissions first. It may not seem like stealing to some and they may think that they are just compiling what is already out there BUT it is not their work and they are showing the gravest disrespect to the people that contributed to making it in the first place.
This why we do not use models that we have not had express permission from the model makers to be used by us.

We know that respect is taken seriously in your part of the world, as you have shown by your communication and your obvious concern over this issue. We appreciate this and the position that it puts you in. We would ask you if you could try to persuade your online friend to show decency and ask us directly. He does not have to make a public announcement in our forums, he can do it privately in a pm to Des (reconmercs).

Nobody is perfect in life and we all make mistakes. I, as I think we all, can forgive mistakes when people realize what they have done and try to make amends. What we can't forgive is when somebody knows better and just does not care.

Thanks very much for your post, Pixy.
Steve
Pixy
Captain
Captain

Post by Pixy »

Thank you for the respond, Steve. I'll try to ask him again, because, he's so difficult to communicate.
Tatit
Quantum.Byte
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Quantum.Byte »

i'm the one who pixy said.. hahaha..

i realised that i make a mistake by put miaw pack at my own pack. this is because at the begining, i just make this pack as my hobby and side job. and i don't want to publish my work to often.

but... now a lot of member ask me to make an update for my pack and ask me to input an indonesian air force pack. i put it at 2.5 version ( c-130 ). i'm really sory because of this. my mistake.. really sory.. if miaw want me to delete c-130 pack from my pack, i will gladly do it :)

and because my plan to "throw" my package to international forum like flightsim, avsim, miaw :), etc, i want to know.

can i use miaw pack with a credit to miaw at the readme file?

one more.. my friend said, that miaw release sukhoi model. can i get this model + basepack repaint?

sory for my bad english... :hammer:
Pixy
Captain
Captain

Post by Pixy »

Well, actually, I didn't say that though. :lol: lol, I said there is a freeware and low poly sukhoi at flightsim. and there is a repaint of indonesian sukhois. maybe you can use it as AI with permission from the author :wink: (oops! totally out of topic! shame on me! :oops: :oops: )
Tatit
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

My personal response, being the man who put together the MAIW Indonesian Hawks package is, NO!!!

I hope you can appreciate that I do not want to put hard work into something to have someone else piggy back on it and use it for their own release. There is no need to release these models and repaints in your own package to flightsim/avsim as they are already there from MAIW.

If you wish to use the NBAI Hawk model, create your own textures and flightplans and AFDs for it and release your own Indonesian package then that is acceptable, and as the author of the AI Hawk model, I am fully happy for people to use my work for their own ends and release the model with their own textures.

What I won't abide is someone repackaging the work of MAIW contributors who spent time and effort putting together the Indonesian packages. It is against our copyright policy and is not something we tolerate.

I am very sorry but if you have released packages with our work included you will have to delete them from online sites, but like I said if you wish to contact the various authors of paints and models and ask permission to use them then you can release your own package.

I hope this is made perfectly clear to you, and that you appreciate our standpoint here.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Ditto on what Nick said. Even if you get permission from every author of that package you have to strip the MAIW name from everything. We never give permission to use our name.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Not to mention coming up with your own FDE set for the aircraft....

There really are a lot more hands involved in EVERY single MAIW package than most people realize.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

Hi Quantum.Byte,

If people are asking you for military ai packages my suggestion is simply:

Either 1 ~
Recommend they go to the MAIW website for the MAIW packages, where they can download them directly and find proper support for them in the MAIW forum pages.

Or 2 ~
Spend some time creating your own Malaysian military AI packages. Write your own flightplans and paint your own aircraft textures. If you're lucky, you may be allowed to include certain AI models in your own package. But that depends on the designer who created the AI model. You would still need to make your own textures.

Creating packages from scratch can be a rewarding experience. Give it a try!
Dan
Quantum.Byte
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Quantum.Byte »

nickblack423 wrote:My personal response, being the man who put together the MAIW Indonesian Hawks package is, NO!!!

I hope you can appreciate that I do not want to put hard work into something to have someone else piggy back on it and use it for their own release. There is no need to release these models and repaints in your own package to flightsim/avsim as they are already there from MAIW.

If you wish to use the NBAI Hawk model, create your own textures and flightplans and AFDs for it and release your own Indonesian package then that is acceptable, and as the author of the AI Hawk model, I am fully happy for people to use my work for their own ends and release the model with their own textures.

What I won't abide is someone repackaging the work of MAIW contributors who spent time and effort putting together the Indonesian packages. It is against our copyright policy and is not something we tolerate.

I am very sorry but if you have released packages with our work included you will have to delete them from online sites, but like I said if you wish to contact the various authors of paints and models and ask permission to use them then you can release your own package.

I hope this is made perfectly clear to you, and that you appreciate our standpoint here.

Nick
thanx for your respond :) ok, i will delete maiw pack from my pack asap.
one more question sir, if i want use maiw model with my own repaint and flightplan, where i can get my permission? who's someone that i must contact?
kungfuman wrote:Hi Quantum.Byte,

If people are asking you for military ai packages my suggestion is simply:

Either 1 ~
Recommend they go to the MAIW website for the MAIW packages, where they can download them directly and find proper support for them in the MAIW forum pages.

Or 2 ~
Spend some time creating your own Malaysian military AI packages. Write your own flightplans and paint your own aircraft textures. If you're lucky, you may be allowed to include certain AI models in your own package. But that depends on the designer who created the AI model. You would still need to make your own textures.

Creating packages from scratch can be a rewarding experience. Give it a try!
i will pick second option. :) im indonesian. not malaysian :)
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Quantum Byte,
We appreciate your co-operation in this matter and we apologize for getting your nationality wrong. :oops:

On the model front. Nick produced the Hawk and has said that you he is happy for you to use that model with your own paints and your own flightplans. MAIW release whole packages. We don't claim to own the models, paints or flightplans. This is why we always give credit to the builder of each part in our Readme.
Generally, Nick wants people to use his models, paint schemes for them and share them. All he wants is that he gets the credit he deserves. I think that he says this in all his model releases. If in doubt, you can ask him first and you will probably find that he will be very happy that somebody is using his model.
Each author is different. My advice would be contact the modeler first. If you can't contact him then release the paint schemes and tell people where to get the model. This is what we do as well.

I hope this helps.
Steve
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

Yeah, I noticed I'd got the wrong country - but I can't edit my posts. Sorry...
Dan
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Don't forget there are two parts to the actual model, the 3D model object, and the cfg/air files that make it fly like a real aircraft. Those are two separate pieces of work by two separate authors. You will need permission from both.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log