Coastline Problems

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
LEBTowerGuy

Coastline Problems

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

With my New Orleans project winding down, I have started working on a new project, Norfolk Naval Station. I am having some issues with the water areas around the base. I have tried to shape the shorelines more like the base and port with mixed results, as you can see in the screenie. The grey line is where the land should be. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Re: Coastline Problems

Post by maddog65 »

Matt,
Not sure how to do that and I also am running UT USA so it filled it in pretty good. but are you going to do the helo squadrons at Norfolk also?
There is a lot of construction going on right now. They just finished building the new hangers for HM-14 and are currently building a new tower to cover the helos. and a new hanger over by the marina. I can try and help you out if you want it.
Les
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am not too sure about how to fix that but it may need a LWM file created, which I think is a land water mask file. Sbuilder will be able to create one for you. Of course to be really realistic you should also need to raise the land that you claim to above 0'. That I am unable to say how to do, unless an LWM file does that as well.

Somebody who knows Sbuilder far better than myself should be able to help here.
Steve
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

Steve,
I have tried that approach, using Sbuilder. I have run excludes, Flattens/terrain raising, Landclass changes, and still haven't been able to move the land out. I have been able to cut it in though. I grey line is what I used to trace the outline of the ADE background to help mesh with the AFCAD I am working on.

Maddog, I am planning on building the whole base, including the port. Right now because of the land issue I cannot expand up to the Seawall area, or the helo field to the north.
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Matt,
If you need any info let me know.
Les

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

Les,
Sorry I forgot to include that in my last post. definently any info you got would be much appreciated. Updated squadron locations jumps out at the top of my head, also does the helo field to the north have its own identifier? I intend to make this a separate AFD file.
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Matt,
I'll start working on that for you. As far as the helo airfields they do not have a thier own identifier. In my setup I use 1NGU for the NE field and 2NGU for the NW field.
I will get some google screen shots of which squadron is where. Do you want me to PM them to you or post in this thread?
Les

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

you can PM them to me, also another question, where is the beacon located, I haven't been able to find that in my searches.
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

PM inbound with location
Les

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

All fixed,
Thanks Steve, I was able to fix it with a Land Mask. Above is an updated screenie.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Les, Matt;

I'm glad someone is finally doing NGU. I had thought of trying it but only got as far as the helo field for my old squadron.
Here's a few pics FWIW.

Can't wait to see your finished product.

Joe
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Joe
great shots. a lot of building is going on right now. They are buiilding a new hanger to the left in your shot. Don't remember which squadron is going there but I know they are standing up some new squadrons soon. Also they are building a new tower that is about 75% complete out by the edge of Building LF-18 which is the building you have by 27R.

I too can't wait to see Chambers come to life either. I have been tinkering with it for a long time and now with ADE9X I was making some progress but Matt seems to be doing a lot better than what I was doing so I will just help him along as needed.
Les

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

Joe,
Those look pretty good, I am going to start work on that section tomorrow. Does anyone know where I could find some AI warships, I am tinkering with the idea of adding ships to the NAVSTA side of the base as well.
clarke123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by clarke123 »

There's AI warships at fs-shipyards.org.
veni, vidi, spurius brutus deitrum covi - I came, I saw, I tore the thick bastards limb from limb
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

LEBTowerGuy wrote: All fixed,
Thanks Steve, I was able to fix it with a Land Mask. Above is an updated screenie.
No problem, glad I was able to help. Something must be going into my brain somewhere. :smt003
Steve
LEBTowerGuy

Post by LEBTowerGuy »

Here are some update shots of NAS Norfolk. I have added the new HM-15 Line as well as the heliport on the north side, as well as some general clean up around the areas. The heliport is a separate AFD file to facilitate the different tower and operations.

The HM-15 Line

Heliport.

Overview of the complex.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Looking good! Can't wait to get it and add to my FS experience! Keep up the good work! :o
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present