Operation Odyssey Dawn: Libyan NFZ

Have a story, topic or report on what's really happening in the world's militaries? Talk about it here.
sr01
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Operation Odyssey Dawn: Libyan NFZ

Post by sr01 »

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc- ... d=28032396
James
If they go to Italy we want pic's :smt004
james84

Re: CF18's on their way to enforce Libyan NFZ

Post by james84 »

Well, it will be difficult to get some by myself as the aircrafts will definitely be based in places that are not very nearby, but I'll provide some link!
I read that not only the Canadians are sending aircrafts, but the following countries will intervene Norway - F-16
Belgium - F-16
Denmark - F-16
Qatar - Mirage 2000?
UAE? - F-16
RAF - Tornado and Typhoon
Italy - logistics and bases, maybe aircrafts (AMX, Typhoon, F-16) and SAR
France - aircrafts and bases (Solenzara, Corsica?)

check this website, BTW, it's run by an Italian military aviation journalist (it's written in English), there should be some updated info
http://cencio4.wordpress.com/
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

IMO the first nations to police this should come from the Arab League. This would send the right message to the Arab world that this isn't a 'western' show of dominance over a 'brother of Islam'.

The Saudis have a massive air force which is basically just a train set. Similarly the other Gulf states should head up the no-fly zone.

Where the RAF are to be based will be interesting; to conduct sorties from any NATO bases will require AAR and we just don't have the assets available to conduct these operations. Personally I'd rather see all the air forces of the dozens of countries not involved in Afghanistan to step up to the plate and take some responsibility for policing the world for a change.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The one thing that nobody seems to have mentioned yet is who is supplying the AWACS and tankers. That is definitely something the Saudis could do.
Steve
james84

Post by james84 »

It looks like Qaddafi has ordered an immediate cease-fire and stopped any military operations...
Ah, also Sweden are evaluating to take part to the action (if there will be any).
james84

Post by james84 »

CelticWarrior wrote:IMO the first nations to police this should come from the Arab League. This would send the right message to the Arab world that this isn't a 'western' show of dominance over a 'brother of Islam'.

The Saudis have a massive air force which is basically just a train set. Similarly the other Gulf states should head up the no-fly zone.

Where the RAF are to be based will be interesting; to conduct sorties from any NATO bases will require AAR and we just don't have the assets available to conduct these operations. Personally I'd rather see all the air forces of the dozens of countries not involved in Afghanistan to step up to the plate and take some responsibility for policing the world for a change.
According to Repubblica.it, the AWACS should be supplied by NATO, which should base them at Trapani (which is often visited by these aircrafts). As for refuelling, I think Italy could provide its KC-130s, as the Italian aircrafts use the same refuelling method as RAF.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Firebird wrote:The one thing that nobody seems to have mentioned yet is who is supplying the AWACS and tankers. That is definitely something the Saudis could do.
French & NATO AWACS already on station. Some interesting reading below.

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... =8&t=28625

Mark
Mark
james84

Post by james84 »

From the Italian newspaper "Il corriere della sera"

The Italian carrier "Garibaldi" has left its base in Taranto with complete combat suit. The ship is bound towards Libya and most of the military crew is on board, reliable military sources say. Harrier fighters should not be on board, but will reach the ship if the Parliament will authorize a military action against Libya. According to the same source, the rest of the crew will be transferred to the ship with helicopters in the next few hours.
james84

Post by james84 »

From Repubblica.it
Aviano's 31the FW is in ''constant readiness in order to guarantee full competence and support to any order that will be issued" (Aviano USAF command)
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Nice to see a bunch of nations getting involved in this one.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Rotten Ralph
Captain
Captain

Post by Rotten Ralph »

With the Tornados & Typhoons of the RAF going out to Libya, that only leaves the battle of britain memorial flight to do the QRA for the UK?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

MIKE JG wrote:Nice to see a bunch of nations getting involved in this one.
Well, it sure beats going to Red Flag so why wouldn't everybody want to play.
Steve
ricktk
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by ricktk »

Well, I hope somebody is coordinating all? NATO?
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Defen ... nLibya.htm

And I quote....."all necessary measures to enforce compliance with the ban" - so so dangerous words.....we all need to be so careful when politicians use this kind of language in this day and age; I have to say I agree with CW, the Arab States themselves need to head this one, after all that has happened before. They have the equipment and manpower to fully implement a NFZ and do it with the backing of even suspect states such as Syria, which, unsurprisingly, do not support any western operated NFZ. Yes, Ghadaffi may be a despot and a tyrant, but the recent history lessons from Iraq and Afghanistan MUST be taken onboard.

Edited for spelling!!
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

delbydoo wrote:........ I have to say I agree with CW.........
Come on, it'll never catch on ;-)
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

412 Squadron's CC-144 Challenger, #144617 landed @ Luka, Malta today .It's tail is painted up in 412's 70th anniversary scheme .
6 CF188's of 425 Squadron left YBG @ about the same time for Italy.
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

Who's doing the flightplans for this little lot??? :wink:

Tony
Time travel does exist, i just discovered it next week...
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by miljan »

I will not say that Qaddafi is innocent bit still I cannot understand how somebody can call people armed with anti aircraft armour innocent civilians
VIVA LA VIDA
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »