New McChord AFB scenery

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

New McChord AFB scenery

Post by Joseph29 »

John Stinstrom has made a new scenery for McChord AFB. The scenery is on avsim (ktcm_js.zip).
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: New McChord AFB scenery

Post by Firebird »

Its quality as always.
One tip I should mention is that you MUST copy over the textures into the scenery\world\texture folder. I only copied new textures over at first and got CTDs at dawn and dusk. Replacing the textures that I had from earlier scenery from John with the ones supplied cured the problem.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I just installed this scenery and I have buildings floating over a hole (or I guess a valley would be a better word) in the middle of the airfield. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I did email John Stinstrom about this, but I figured I might get a answer here first befor I hear back from John.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well I am guessing that you have got some other McChord scnery modules floating around, possibly including afcads. You have removed all the stuff from the AMC West package haven't you, and Brian Voigts if you had it installed?

I wouldn't rule in mesh yet, as I use FSGenesis and John doesn't directly support this so if anything I would likely to have a problem rather than not have one.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I checked for other McChord scenery and AFCAD's and I didn't find any. And the only thing I had installed from the MAIW West coast package was the planes. I did have FS Genesis mesh but the valley is there with or without the mesh. I do have other scenery in the area, maybe one of those sceneries are affecting it?

I have Fly Tampa Seattle, Whidbey Island (also made by John Stinstrom), and Portland International (plus 3 other airports that came with Portland that are in the Portland area) made by Flightzone. I guess I will have to wait and see what John says abot this.
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

I also had these floating buildings in combination with the freeware FSGenesis mesh.
Here is the flatten file I made with Sbuilder.

Furthermore I noticed that the C17 parking spots are slighty too small (radius 40m). The PAI C17 requires 44m parking radius. This can easily be changed using AFCAD 2.21.
Attachments
McChord_FSGenesis-Mesh_flatten_LWM2.BGL
Flatten file for John Stinstrom's McChord AFB scenery when using FSGenesis mesh
(790 Bytes) Downloaded 39 times
Hartwig

Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

hawk_sh wrote:I also had these floating buildings in combination with the freeware FSGenesis mesh.

Furthermore I noticed that the C17 parking spots are slighty too small (radius 40m). The PAI C17 requires 44m parking radius. This can easily be changed using AFCAD 2.21.
Thanks for the flatten file Hartwig.

NB: The C-17 in the AMC_West package use 34m as the parking radius.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Stewart Pearson wrote:
hawk_sh wrote:I also had these floating buildings in combination with the freeware FSGenesis mesh.

Thanks for the flatten file Hartwig.

NB: The C-17 in the AMC_West package use 34m as the parking radius.

Stew is correct on the parking size for the AMC West package, I purposely made it a bit smaller because the default 44m just seemed way too big.

I've also got the hole in the middle of the scenery but I'm using Ultimate Terrain :( besides that the scenery itself is beautiful and a very nice surprise, I had no idea John was working on this one 8)
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

reconmercs wrote: Stew is correct on the parking size for the AMC West package, I purposely made it a bit smaller because the default 44m just seemed way too big.
I merged the C17 folders of all the packages into one single folder so it seems I am still using an older model file with a larger parking radius.
reconmercs wrote: I've also got the hole in the middle of the scenery but I'm using Ultimate Terrain
The flatten file might also work with Ultimate Terrain. It sets the elevation of the whole scenery to the elevation of the AFCAD file.
Hartwig

reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Thanks Hartwig, I'll give it a try after work tonight
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

the flatten file supplied by Hartwig works like a charm 8)
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thank you for the flatten file. That fixed the problem. Does anyone have night lighting in the scenery? I installed the effect files and the effect textures but still don't have any night lighting.
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

I have night lighting but only in the southern part of the scenery. There is no lighting where the C17 parking positions are.
Hartwig

Bora

Post by Bora »

Great scenery !!

To fully enjoy all traffic you might need to change the parking codes in the Afcad file... The Afcad file that comes with the scenery uses parkingcodes like "C17", "K135" and "C130"... The aircraft from the MAIW packages use Squardon or Wing parkingcodes like "62AW" for the McChord C-17's, but this scenery does not have any parkingspots with parkingcode "62AW". Because of this the 62AW C-17's will first fill up the parkingspots without a parkingcode (as long as the radius is large enough) and once these spots are filled up will continue with the parkingspots with parkingcode "C17" and "K135"... Because of this, visiting aircraft like for instance C-5's, C-130's and KC-135's will end up parking at wrong locations or worse find no parking at all and disappear after touch down.

You might also give the 12 overflow parkingspots located inside 62 AW hangars 1 and 2, parkingcode "62AW" to avoid that visiting aircraft will disappear into these hangars...

A little mistake (??) in the scenery itself is that it says 82AW instead of 62AW on their hangars...
Bora

Post by Bora »

John Stinstrom has released a scenery fix at Avsim, look for "ktcm_fix.zip"

:smt023
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Anyone having issues after the fix install? I'm using the scenery in FSX, other than some exclude and alpha channel issues in the original version, no issues in FSX. Installed the fix, and I've got new buildings without textures, no changes to my scenery settings.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Victory103 wrote:Anyone having issues after the fix install? I'm using the scenery in FSX, other than some exclude and alpha channel issues in the original version, no issues in FSX. Installed the fix, and I've got new buildings without textures, no changes to my scenery settings.
I had that problem also. I emailed John and he sent me a new texture folder with the correct files in it. Now I have all the textures back.