Flight Radar 24 For IPhone

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Flight Radar 24 For IPhone

Post by campbeme »

What a clever little app, Ive been using the Flight Radar 24 web site for awhile now on my desktop. Today I found the IPhone app and downloaded it, this is the amazing part when you point the camera at a contrail overhead.....my god it tells you what aircraft it is and all it's flight data.

Very cool and happy spotter today.

Mark
Mark
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: Flight Radar 24 For IPhone

Post by delbydoo »

I am waiting until the 13th Feb and then I can upgrade my phone - and it was this app that convinced me to go android when FR24 released it, anyways - who uses a phone for SPEAKING to people these days? :? Samsung Galaxy SII here we come :D
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

A couple of colleagues have it. They used to look at the radar screen where traffic was situated around our base, point their iPhone in that direction and compare the flight data with the actual FPL in our system. Nerds... :lol:
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Tirithon wrote:A couple of colleagues have it. They used to look at the radar screen where traffic was situated around our base, point their iPhone in that direction and compare the flight data with the actual FPL in our system. Nerds... :lol:
Did it work?
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Yes it did. It's quite scary how accurate the data is too. But the app doesn't show everything up there and no OAT flights, so we could never see our own military traffic with it.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Probably just as well, Greg. Makes it slightly easier for airfield defences if you know exactly where the attackers are.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Yes of course, I would be very worried if they showed on FR24. :wink:

But it's an indication that there's a lot more traffic up there than you see with the app in case people wonder if what they see is more or less representative.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

The app works by collecting data received from SBS Sqauwk boxes if your plan is fitted with one it will find you. Most modern day airliners have them except CRJ and older Emb jets. Not sure if Canadian Air Force know but it always finds there A310's, in fact a couple of months ago I spotted one using the app with two little friends tucked in close to him.

Just to give you an idea of its range, this morning is an ideal day very cold and very blue. I'm 4 miles from Birmingham airport and I'm watching trans Atlantic arrivals comming in across Cardiff some 60 miles away. I can see the contrails and the iPhone using its gyroscope and squawk data knows which plane is which.

Very cool

Mark
Mark
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

On my PC I use " http://planefinder.net/ " to keep an eye on whats over the top...
Time travel does exist, i just discovered it next week...
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

campbeme wrote:The app works by collecting data received from SBS Sqauwk boxes if your plan is fitted with one it will find you.
I think you mean ADS-B then, because a SBS is a ground station able to receive ADS-B signals. Just a technicality. :wink:

But in that case, it is indeed possible to see military traffic, if it is a civvie type of aircraft equipped with an ADS-B transponder.
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

I hope they make a USA one lol
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"

james84

Post by james84 »

Hmmm... my brother has got an Olipad (an iPad made by Olivetti)... do you knwo if it works with this device as well?
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Jumpshot724 wrote:I hope they make a USA one lol
Just wonder if this does come stateside how it will work within the FAA's BARR program. If a company does all the paperwork to block their N# from online flight tracking sites, is this app restricted as well.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Well yesterday I saw routing out over Hereford England to the US, a USAF 757 squawking out its full serial 99-6143. I had time to watch it approach my viewing window, go outside and then view it.

Mark
Mark
Jumpshot724
Major
Major

Post by Jumpshot724 »

I found "PlaneFinder" amd "PlaneFinder AR" (Alternante Reality) which seems to be the same thing and works pretty well. I live on Long Island in New York and I can see a lot of traffic from JFK Intl as well as passers through. According to the developers the ADS-B feeds that they use to track the aircraft and steadily showing up more in the US so, I imagine in a few years time the my little radar screen will light up a lot more. But for now, i'd say it's worthwhile. As of right now I can see 5 aircraft in my 50mile area.
-Joe W.

"I love the smell of jetfuel in the morning....smells like VICTORY!!"