Struck by Lightning....

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Struck by Lightning....

Post by mikeblaze »

This is it..... After being the slow kid on the block, and eight years of heartache, frequent stalls of work for roadblocks I couldn't get my head around, I finally started to tinker with Nick's models about a year ago. And since then, I have produced variants for the Skyhawk, Mirage F.1, and Phantom; plus more under wraps like the Harrier, Jaguar, and Tomcat.

Anyways, I took a sanity break from the Phantom last week, and started a new little project; and something wonderful happened. No roadblock stopped me, nothing I ran into I couldn't work my way through, and here you have it, another piece of British steel for the retro community.

I present the English Electric Lightning. This is about 99% done, just sorting out FDE and some master painting stuff. I have three main variant models done, F.1, F.2/F.6, and T series. These are LOD8 models, and have a lot of Nick Black influence in their design; but with a little originality of my own from painting, simming, and now modeling experience. I shamelessly borrowed Nick's pilot figure, but re-mapped it; so this is not totally mine yet, but the next project will be. Dependent on FDE and final beta-testing, this is planned to be released in the next month to six weeks. I have several other original projects in the works, but it is fitting that since Nick gave me the opportunity to push my learning over the top, that this one be the first published model.
Attachments
frightening_oblique.jpg
frightening_side.jpg
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Struck by Lightning....

Post by f4nutter »

my congratulation's to you Mike, that look's great :lol: i look forward to the finished article and future model's 8)
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

:shock: :shock: Words fail me, they look excellent. nice one
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

mikeblaze wrote:This is it..... After being the slow kid on the block, and eight years of heartache, frequent stalls of work for roadblocks I couldn't get my head around, I finally started to tinker with Nick's models about a year ago. And since then, I have produced variants for the Skyhawk, Mirage F.1, and Phantom; plus more under wraps like the Harrier, Jaguar, and Tomcat.

Anyways, I took a sanity break from the Phantom last week, and started a new little project; and something wonderful happened. No roadblock stopped me, nothing I ran into I couldn't work my way through, and here you have it, another piece of British steel for the retro community.

I present the English Electric Lightning. This is about 99% done, just sorting out FDE and some master painting stuff. I have three main variant models done, F.1, F.2/F.6, and T series. These are LOD8 models, and have a lot of Nick Black influence in their design; but with a little originality of my own from painting, simming, and now modeling experience. I shamelessly borrowed Nick's pilot figure, but re-mapped it; so this is not totally mine yet, but the next project will be. Dependent on FDE and final beta-testing, this is planned to be released in the next month to six weeks. I have several other original projects in the works, but it is fitting that since Nick gave me the opportunity to push my learning over the top, that this one be the first published model.
Mike,

I have the beta version of the MPAI EE Lightning FDE about 95% done and will be sending it your way this week. I never realized the great performance these unique RAF birds had. :shock: :lol:
    Mike M.
    MIKE JG
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Very cool!
    -Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

So is there anybody out there that wants to knock up a quick Binbrook scenery, or maybe Coltishall?

My guess it won't be long before there Chris and Menno do something German.

I guess it would also work with Akrotiri or Tengah, I seem to think that something was started for those places.
    Steve
    miljan
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Amazing work Mike.

Miljan
    VIVA LA VIDA
    petebramley
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

This is one retro model that will make it into my sim

congrats it looks great

:D
    Pete B
    Retired and busier than ever !!
    DaleRFU
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

It looks very good. Thats three different lightnings that are being built now. Yours, Kevins and John for ACG. A large variety for sure.

:smt006
    Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
    Garysb
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Firebird wrote:So is there anybody out there that wants to knock up a quick Binbrook scenery, or maybe Coltishall?

My guess it won't be long before there Chris and Menno do something German.

I guess it would also work with Akrotiri or Tengah, I seem to think that something was started for those places.

Steve dont forget Saudi

Gary
    I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
    Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

... or Kuwait. Nope.

Of course one that I did forget could also use the MAIW enhancement treatment would be Leconfield as well which could used for the Sea King package as well. There are a lot of possibilities here for people that like retro stuff but don't want to mix it with current stuff.
    Steve
    f47420
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by f47420 »

OK .That's it I will have to get out the old tanktop ,flares .But I don't think there's enough hair for a mullet.

Mark........
    Mark W
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Awwww, Mark. I hadn't even got to Middleton St. George yet. :lol:
    Steve
    f47420
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by f47420 »

Don't tease Steve .I will have to go out for a very long walk in to the sunset .As master Shifu says "Focus Foucs ".LOL

Plus don't me started on Manston.............

Mark............
    Mark W
    Stewart Pearson
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

mikewmac wrote:Mike,

I have the beta version of the MPAI EE Lightning FDE about 95% done and will be sending it your way this week. I never realized the great performance these unique RAF birds had. :shock: :lol:
    The $64,000 question Mike is...........................will you be able to reproduce the iconic Lightning take off as seen here?;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CDLbokf9sg

Would be stunning if it were possible.
    Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
    Victory103
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

mikeblaze, can't wait to see what's in store for the other models listed...huge Tomcat fan.

Stewart, great vid, short and sweet, I can imagine yelling the same as the nose rockets skyward.
    DUSTOFF
    ARMY PROPS
    NAVY SAR

-Chris
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Stu,
    You don't want much out of the FS9 AI engine do you. :lol:

That I think is left to FSRecorder replays.
    Steve
    Stewart Pearson
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Firebird wrote:Stu,
    You don't want much out of the FS9 AI engine do you. :lol:

That I think is left to FSRecorder replays.
    If you dont ask..................................................... :smt005
    Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Stewart Pearson wrote:
    mikewmac wrote:Mike,

The $64,000 question Mike is...........................will you be able to reproduce the iconic Lightning take off as seen here?;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CDLbokf9sg

Would be stunning if it were possible.
    Stew,

Steve's correct that the FS9 AI engine prevents the vertical climbout, but I did recreate the relatively short takeoff roll. At the moment I have set its takeoff roll to ~2300' since I figured that its high performance ~1630' takeoff roll was probably only used in emergency scramble situations like we did with the VT ANG's F-102A "Deuces" back in the day.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much definitive performance data for the EE Lightning on the internet, so to some extent I have had to extrapolate from my own knowledge of the USAF's "Century Series: fighters from the same era. :(

If anyone has any performance information on the EE Lightning such as typical takeoff and landing rolls, the latter with and without a drag chute, as well as rotation, cruise, approach and landing speeds, I'd love to get a copy. :D

I emailed my MPAI EE Lightning Beta FDE to Mike P. yesterday, so things are moving right along on his latest AI model. :wink:

Mike M.
      Mike M.
      aljude
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

Be great to see the old bird fly out of Binbrook again, with added Crash Gate 3 of course.... i spent most days there from 1984 untill its closure if 1988...
      Wonderful days and a good crowd of regular spotters..
      Time travel does exist, i just discovered it next week...