Mirages, Daggers, and Neshrs......

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Mirages, Daggers, and Neshrs......

Post by bismarck »

mikeblaze wrote:Hope the Canadians and Italians will understand and forgive, and I will certainly make it worth their while when I release those packages.:smt004
I understand and forgive you :mrgreen:
What I don't understand is why you wrote under Mirages thread... 8)

Giorgio
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by zsoltfireman »

Columbian Ride

mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

It was late, and I was tired........ at least alcohol had nothing to do with it..... :smt003

I'll put it on the other thread today....
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If nothing else, Mike, it proves that people read what you write. :D
Steve
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

Here is the last part of the long-running Mirage III/5 project, the F-21A Lion USN/USMC Aggressors package, which just got uploaded to AVSIM. It's a very appropriate upload for our Memorial Day weekend, and maybe somebody wants to use it for a last-minute May screeshot contest entry..... A note about the models, they are a little different from the previous Kfir models, and will not work with the Kfir paints. But, the older Kfir models will work with these paints, just have to rename the texture files if you want to do that. All I did was re-map the little stubby canards better to accept camouflage across them; but I re-named the texture files to F-21_Lion. The original big canard paint is still on the textures, so this is why the older models will work with these.

Next stop on the Mirage express, some more F.1 work (and a little re-work) This was the very first model of Nick's that I modded, and I have learned so very much since that, so I am going back and doing a couple of things to it. I am going to try and make it compatible with the paints I have already done, but there are two specific things I want to do which may not allow this, we'll see. Plus I have to finish the country users I didn't finish before (SAAF, Namibia, Greece, Iraq). And Libya went through a civil war and changed their national roundel while I was away from this project. A lot of good work still to be done to this airframe.

:smt004
Attachments
mpai_kfir_usn_usmc.jpg
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

..... and I just uploaded the Kfir paint kits to AVSIM as well..... :smt004
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Just some words... BIG THANKS for your greatfull work Mike !
Mirage4FS
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Mirage4FS »

zsoltfireman wrote:Columbian Ride
Very nice formation shots.

Reminds me that now that we have basically every operator represented it's time for some Mirage flight plan packages. James84 did a really nice one for Argentina using only the 15 currently operated aircraft (the way MAIW likes to keep things) and a convincing Afcad representation of Tandil Air Base.

I've read that this thread isn't the place for it but hopefully when some more are available (or if they already are) they can be listed with links or made available somehow for download. :wink:

Nice F-21A's by the way Mike. 8)
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RKE »

Working on that 8)
(and that's the first hangar I've ever modelled, go me :lol: )
Mirage4FS
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Mirage4FS »

mikeblaze wrote:..... and I just uploaded the Kfir paint kits to AVSIM as well..... :smt004
There is a spot in these forum pages for your paint kits as well:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/newforum ... m.php?f=54

If not standalone kits them perhaps posts for each telling what package they are included with?

8)
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Mirage4FS wrote:
mikeblaze wrote:..... and I just uploaded the Kfir paint kits to AVSIM as well..... :smt004
There is a spot in these forum pages for your paint kits as well:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/newforum ... m.php?f=54

If not standalone kits them perhaps posts for each telling what package they are included with?

8)
I'm currently working with Mike on that part of the forum, should be up fully over the coming week. :D
Mark
Target

Post by Target »

Hi,

first off thanks for the intense modelling effort so far. I just wanted to bring a minor issue to your attention Mike. It looks like the Mirage 5 Mara_CAS model has some left over texture calls. I just copy and paste the log message from the 'FS Texture Checker' program:

Aircraft Folder: AI_MPAI Dassault Mirage 5PA
Following textures are MISSING in folder: FAA_GdC6_C-604 Using model: Mara_CAS
MPAI_MIRAGE_IIIB.BMP
MPAI_MIRAGE_IIIE.BMP

It shouldn't result in any visual flaws and a quick fix is to place dummy textures (basically a black 4x4 or so texture) into the folders and rename them to the called textures. That way FS finds some texture and doesn't spend resources on searching for those missing textures. I don't know what impact the search has but AFAIK it might not be an issue at all or maybe cause a microstutter when loading the model with textures the first time it comes into view.

So just to wrap it up, it's not a big issue just want to make you and others aware of it and that there is a quick fix if you feel like it doesn't warrant reuploading a fixed model etc which I perfectly understand :wink:

Best regards,

Phil
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Phil.
As you say FSTC can occasionally catch small glitches that can occur when a modeller is creating a new version of a model. I remember one time mentioning this to a modeller who spent some time going through his source and never found any mention of the texture that the checker mentioned.
I do not know enough to question the checker program as what it finds could be legitimate connections and by the same token I have to believe a modeller when they say they checked everything.

So I decided to leave it at that. If it seems to be an issue I use the 1x1 bmp trick to resolve it.
Steve
mikeblaze
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikeblaze »

That was the third model I ever did for production, and I was still learning quite a bit (still am, lol). But I have at least figured out how to delete unused texture references out of the compiled model now, at the FSDS-level, so that issue should not be an issue with my later work.

:smt004
Mirage4FS
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Mirage4FS »

Outstanding work in any case Mike. A truly monumental effort doing that entire series. 8)
Target

Post by Target »

Yeah, you are one heck of a modeller and painter. I remember at the start I would skip some of your first, early repaints, but you learned really quickly and since a long time now I don't even hesitate to download any new upload you post. New upload? Where's the download button? Click! :D

And then cool, new models at some lightning modelling speed, impressive effort from you and all those involved!

And with regards to the texture issue, yeah it was more to bring it to your and other people's attention to maybe use a dummy texture just in case. :)

Best regards,

Phil