NBAI F-14 Tomcat

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
Lightning
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Lightning »

In looking at the screen shots of carrier landings I didn't notice any tail hook.
I do hope you will be having an animated tailhook for the carrier version of the AI ?
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Lightning wrote:In looking at the screen shots of carrier landings I didn't notice any tail hook.
I do hope you will be having an animated tailhook for the carrier version of the AI ?
Bob,

Yes, the latest wet model has an animated tail hook. My screenshots were of the original dry land model converted to carrier use for carrier AI FDE development purposes. :)

Mikie
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

nickblack423 wrote:Don't tempt me. :lol:

Actually Ive been doing most of my model testing for this from Miramar. And the USS Enterprise from Alphasim.

Also got a great looking repaint for Iran done last night I'll try and get a screenshot for you soon.

Nick
Nick,

I'm now officially tempting you! :lol: :lol:

Ian is interested in doing the scenery, so if we can find adequate reference photos we've got a good start. :lol: :lol:

Mike
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by nickblack423 »

Consider it official then mate, maybe our first retro package. Miramar NAS "TOP GUN"

YEEHAAA

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

AAAAWWW RIIIIGHT!!!! :P
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

nickblack423 wrote:Consider it official then mate, maybe our first retro package. Miramar NAS "TOP GUN"
I almost hear all that retro engines starting now 8)
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

mikewmac wrote:Steve,

So are you going to share some of that fine Englsih ale or what? :lol: :lol:

Mike
Yep, no problem,Mike. As much as you take. :D
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

nickblack423 wrote:Consider it official then mate, maybe our first retro package. Miramar NAS "TOP GUN"

YEEHAAA

Nick
Sweet, we have turned Nick to the dark side HAHAAAA :twisted:
Steve
Lightning
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Lightning »

mikewmac wrote:
Lightning wrote:In looking at the screen shots of carrier landings I didn't notice any tail hook.
Bob,

Yes, the latest wet model has an animated tail hook. My screenshots were of the original dry land model converted to carrier use for carrier AI FDE development purposes. :)

Mikie
Cool, looking forward to it.

Good to hear we are going to get a "retro" Miramar to go with it.

Fernando Martinez was doing some more AI for an updated "Big E" package that had a bunch of older aircraft that would probably fit in really well, but he has dropped off the face of the earth of late.
No posts anywhere, no replies to email, zip......
Anyone heard from him lately?
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Dave Waffler »

So, do you guys want me to recreate Miramar, as it was when I was there? Wouldn't be to tough to do, since I already have a new one for the current config.

The Mig-28 in the Topgun movie was actually F-5E and F-5F (twin seat). Those planes were actually the planes that Topgun used as aggressor planes, along with A-4 Skyhawks. After the movei was released, they also got some refurbished F-16N (A's with the F110 motor) and later got some older F-14A, which were used to simulate Mig-31's

I was stationed at Miramar during the filming of the movie. The scene where they first meet Charlie as the instructor of TopGun was in the hangar where I worked. I watched them film that scene on a Saturday, but it took them 20 takes to do it, as my squadron (VF-2) and our sister squadron (VF-1) had planes coming back from Red Flag in Nellis. The movie people though that Saturday would be a quiet day. Silly boys, you are working at Fightertown USA, home to over 200 Tomcats for the Pacific Fleet :)
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Dave Waffler wrote:So, do you guys want me to recreate Miramar, as it was when I was there? Wouldn't be to tough to do, since I already have a new one for the current config.

The Mig-28 in the Topgun movie was actually F-5E and F-5F (twin seat). Those planes were actually the planes that Topgun used as aggressor planes, along with A-4 Skyhawks. After the movei was released, they also got some refurbished F-16N (A's with the F110 motor) and later got some older F-14A, which were used to simulate Mig-31's

I was stationed at Miramar during the filming of the movie. The scene where they first meet Charlie as the instructor of TopGun was in the hangar where I worked. I watched them film that scene on a Saturday, but it took them 20 takes to do it, as my squadron (VF-2) and our sister squadron (VF-1) had planes coming back from Red Flag in Nellis. The movie people though that Saturday would be a quiet day. Silly boys, you are working at Fightertown USA, home to over 200 Tomcats for the Pacific Fleet :)

Dave,

Yes, please recreate a Miramar AFCAD as it was back at TopGun time. If you can come up with some good hanger and building photos from that time period too that would be great. I've still got the old TopGun movie on VHS tape, but I don't remember if there were any good shots of the hangers and buildings, do you? :)

Mike
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

Not really, wasn't much hangar shots, except the shots in the distance when Cruise is on the motorcycle and the shot of them al in the hangar when they meet Charlie

I will get on the AFCAD this week, should have it by this weekend.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

OK here are a few shots of some paints Ive been playing with:

Imperial Iranian Air Force

VF-102

Ive also created the F-14A for Iran.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

So we're going for this Miramar "TOP-GUN" Package are we. WOOHOO love it. Sounds like a brilliant idea, I have already thought about a video based exactly on the opening scene but with FS aircraft.

Nick
Dakotafreak
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dakotafreak »

That Iranian bird looks amazing Nick !!!

Cheers,

Marco
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

Nice one Nick, they will help a great deal. I also have managed to find some other pics too so hopefully I should be able to do it justice.

Cheerz

Ian
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

Ian,

Do you want me to wait on the AFCAD until you are done with your scenery, or do you want to me spin one up for you to create scenery around?
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

Dave Waffler wrote:Ian,

Do you want me to wait on the AFCAD until you are done with your scenery, or do you want to me spin one up for you to create scenery around?
Dave

I would sooner you create the AFCAD first then I can send Mike the models and he can place them around the AFCAD just like our EGXC scenery.

Cheerz

Ian
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave Waffler »

Can do, will get on that tonight, should have it to you by the weekend, if not sooner