RAF Akrotiri, Araxos Greece 2nd pack idea

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
jinx
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

RAF Akrotiri, Araxos Greece 2nd pack idea

Post by jinx »

RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus might be a good idea for a retro package.
I had done one myself for my own use, using Ito, Alpha, and some other a/c for AI, and had them flying from Akrotiri to Paphos and Crete as AI, using the stock scenery. It was nice to use as I flew from Akrotiri to Paphs 36 miles west, and landed and watch my AI coming in to land at Paphos from Akrotiri. Some a/c were off to Egypt, a few to Lebanon, and some to Athens. I do not have that pack I made now in use, though I may have it on disc. If I remember correctly I also had Greek F-84's coming in from Crete to land, and a few Canberras, a Javeliin or two, Lightnings, Sea Vampires and Vampires etc. My pack was not authentic re choice of a/c, but I loved doing it and seeing the AI.

John Young has many of the AI a/c needed--great work.

I am willing to do the research and find a period in past time where the AI a/c to use would be available already.

What do you think?

I can start research right off and also do some basic flight plans.

Also, re Greece, another pack can be done using the Olympos and Tiger F-104 special schemes painted by Nick Manousakis, now retired, and who is a close friend of mine --we drink coffee about once a week. He is the one who designed and painted those two one-off special schemes for the F-104 and the real a/c now are in the Dekeleia Tatoi Museum. Nick will give me correct info on the units at the point in time. He also has a book we can consult that I have.
I can do research for the Araxos pack also.
There is an F-104 for AI use in some of Klaus Jones's sceneries for German airbases.

Your suggestions, please.

Nick from Athens, Greece.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: RAF Akrotiri, Araxos Greece 2nd pack idea

Post by gsnde »

Nick,

Mike Pearson has made several wonderful Starfighter AI packages that include all thinkable variations. This would be the perfect model for any F-104 paints.

You might want to have a look at my AI Reference at The Owl's Nest to see which AI aircraft are available.
Cheers,
Martin
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sluffer77 »

Not sure how retro you would like to go, but in '83 but the Buccaneers of 12 & 208 Squadrons were out there for Operation Pulsator to protect the British Consulate in Beirut, these were supported by firstly 111 Squadron in FG1 (F-4K) Phantoms then by 43 Squadron also in FG1 (F-4K) Phantoms.
A sense of humour must be maintained at all times.

Gaz
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Actually we, 56, were out there as well for 6 weeks taking over from the Leuchars boys. Crimble in Cyprus :( . 11 Grp just extended the 4 week APC detachments to 6 weeks to cover the months that nobody was planned to be out there, i.e winter. This way top cover for the Buccs was supplied w/o anybody screaming about a military build up.

Also out there were 100 Sqn Cranberries and Chinooks from 7 sqn. So models from JY and NB can also be used.
Steve
Sluffer77
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sluffer77 »

Didn't realise 56 were there as well, more to add to the mix :)
A sense of humour must be maintained at all times.

Gaz
dhazelgrove
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by dhazelgrove »

Don't forget various Vulcans, Victors, VC10 (troop) and C-130s.

Dave
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Also the Dead Sparrows have their winter hols there.
Steve