Travis AFB by John Stinstrom on AVSIM

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Travis AFB by John Stinstrom on AVSIM

Post by flyboy »

Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Scenery
New! Travis AFB - Fairfield, CA (KSUU) ZipDive! Download

File Description:
Situated in the San Francisco Bay Area and known as the "Gateway to the Pacific", Travis Air Force Base handles more cargo and passenger traffic through its airport than any other military air terminal in the United States. Today, Travis AFB includes approximately 12,000 active and reserve military personnel as well as 3,700 civilians. Originally laid out as a SAC base for long range bombers, the original hangar line and facilities for B-36 and B-52 aircraft have been largely rebuilt over the years to accommodate the current cargo operations of the 60th Air Mobility Wing (host at Travis). The 60th supports and deploys both the C-5 Galaxy and C-17 Globemaster as well as its own refueling squadrons of KC-10 Tankers. In addition, the base's former Strategic Air Command Alert Facility is now a U.S. Navy complex that typically supports 2 transient Navy E-6B Mercury TACAMO aircraft assigned to Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron THREE (VQ-3) Detachment and normally home-based at Tinker AFB, Oklahoma. The base is also host to David Grant USAF Medical Center, a 265-bed, $200 million Air Force teaching hospital, which serves both in-service and retired military personnel.

Filename: ksuu_js.zip
License: Freeware, limited distribution
Added: 9th September 2014, 09:20:02
Downloads: 83
Author: John Stinstrom
Size: 6189kb
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Kelleymoe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: Travis AFB by John Stinstrom on AVSIM

Post by Kelleymoe »

I downloaded and installed it, but every time I try going to KSUU my FS2004 CTD at around 28% (I believe) trying to load it. I finally uninstalled it and my FS2004 works again at KSUU.

Must be a glitch somewhere. I have his other scenery and never had any problems. He does great work.

Mike
Mike Franks
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Alan Robertson »

Kelleymoe wrote:I downloaded and installed it, but every time I try going to KSUU my FS2004 CTD at around 28% (I believe) trying to load it. I finally uninstalled it and my FS2004 works again at KSUU.

Must be a glitch somewhere. I have his other scenery and never had any problems. He does great work.

Mike

Same problem here.
Regards,

Alan
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Delete

Travis_VTPL.bgl

file from the scenery folder.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I did actually find the cause here. The scenery calls for 'Travis_Surround.bmp' when in fact there is only a 'Pale Travis_Surround.bmp'

If you copy 'Pale Travis_Surround.bmp' and rename that to 'Travis_Surround.bmp' then your scenery will work with the VTPL still in place.

I will let John know.
Steve
Kelleymoe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Kelleymoe »

Thank you very much for the quick reply and the assistance. I would've never figured that one out.

Mike
Mike Franks
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

Thanks Steve, that fixed it nice and easily.
Kelleymoe wrote:Thank you very much for the quick reply and the assistance. I would've never figured that one out.
Very often with scenery that has custom landclass, the scenery is looking for a texture file and crashes FS when it can't find it. There's a utility called Process Monitor that lets you log the files FS9 is trying to read/locate when it crashed. That's often a major clue to tracking down the source of these type of crashes.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You are correct. Procmon is exactly what I used.
Steve
JohnStinstrom
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by JohnStinstrom »

Sorry about the missing file guys :oops: , thanks for catching the fault. I've uploaded a fixed version to the Avsim Library.
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

John,

I was quite excited to see this scenery today. Thank you. I was just looking at the approaches for KSUU in ADE9X last night. What a surprise.

Keith
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

That fix worked for me. Really nice scenery. Thanks John for all your scenery work.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Now gentlemen, I would like to point out something which you should bear in mind.

Whenever a fix is required you will see that Steve uses technology and finesse to achieve the best result.

Whenever a fix is required, you will see that I use a sledgehammer and C4 explosives. :smt005

Thanks for sorting this the proper way Steve.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Nice work guys on the fix, about to install into FSX for testing.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
JohnStinstrom
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by JohnStinstrom »

On the other hand Stewart, your method is just as effective (and sometimes more emotionally satisfying :twisted: ) as Steve's - it's just that Steve's saves a lot of sweeping and painting afterwards.

I just want to say that I really appreciate the help and support I get from the MAIW group. It's quite telling that they do as much to support projects and workings from outside MAIW as from within it! :!: