NAS Alameda & The Big E

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
Corvette99
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: NAS Alameda & The Big E

Post by Corvette99 »

Thanks John . Looked around , and the speed was different. Changed it so they all matched , and my boats started going ! Thanks again !
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

John Young wrote:Something Martin discovered when testing one of my ships in FSX - the ship would return to port at the hold line, but after a short pause it would gather momentum again and wander off on it's own track, ie not on the AFCAD path. Martin discovered it was due to the ship being too light in weight (empty weight in the aircraft.cfg file). Increasing the value made it stay put until it disappeared. It may be the weight value is stopping Kitty Hawk and Enterprise moving in the first place. Might be worth playing with it.

John
I watched the Takanami the first time coming back into port after the FSX conversion. I already had this "yes, perfect!" feeling coming up. And then she took up speed, sailed across the airport and vanished quickly below the mountains, never to be seen again.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

It was one hell of a sight! My son is still laughing about it :smt001
Cheers,
Martin
Cadet

Post by tgycgijoes »

Hamelers,

Would you be willing to post a dropbox or mediafire link to the FLIP Charts for everyone here and share. Would be great for both this KNGZ and also MY KNGZ over at SOH.

tgycgijoes (Richard)
hamelers
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hamelers »

Richard

Here ya go
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3bze9a7yotaf ... 5lsea?dl=0
Also has a PDF with the 3 Departure charts

Jim
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Woogey »

Ok Gentlemen,

As of today we have 4 people working on this Alameda project. I am doing the AFCAD, repainting the AI, and placing buildings/objects.

Corvette 99, is programming Ai routes for both the Ships and the Aircraft. A mentor has been called in to verify functionality, and help brainstorm route ideas.

Then we have our awesome 3D modeler, doing a few custom buildings.

The Planned Ai are to include A-4, A-6, A-7, C-9, C-130, F-4, F-14, P-3, S-3, CH-53, and maybe a couple others. As Alameda was a Navy Rework facility, most liveries will be random. However I am doing the Specific Alameda based VA-303 and VA-304 A-7's. VMA-133 A-4's, and VR-55 C-9's.

I have been researching my Ass off trying to get as much info as possible, with great results. Would any of the Actual MAIW staff be interested in jumping on board to either "Produce" or turn this into an official package? My target is FSX. We are still fairly early into development, but making progress every day. I just want to provide the community with a nice finished product.

Sincerely, Preston "Woogey" Martin
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Woogey,
It may not be obvious from the past but the staff don't turn anything into official packages. It happened to be that the most involved members became staff members.
The way we look at it the person with the most enthusiasm for a project is the package manager, that would be yourself, and they can use any resource (memeber) to complete the package. I would ask any member that is interested in helping to pm Woogey to see what he needs.
As staff what we can supply is a checklist and a document template for you to use, and we can compile it so that it is easy for people to install - and experience. The template is what we use to check the quality of the package and the document, well, you know what that is and I have seen non-MAIW stuff released using that as a guide.

What it doesn't mean is that no staff member will help, they are perfectly free to be part of any package but that is an individual choice.
There is one little issue that we may have. We have always been an FS9 package org and recently undertook the commitment to create FSX friendly packages as well. What we did undertake is that we would continue to produce FS9 packages and your plan would seem, initially, to go against the grain.
To explain, by creating FS9 packages everybody can install and enjoy a package even though it meant that FSX users normally had work to do to convert it to work in FSX and it wasn't optimum. The current strategy means more work for a package manager but again both sets of users can enjoy the work, with the FSX users having less work to do. An FSX only package excludes FS9 users from a scenery and potentially a model point of view.

What I would suggest is that you don't worry about FS9 at the moment. Finish your package and then find resources to convert it to FS9 - this will be a learning curve for us as well. It's too much work involved trying to develop two versions at the same time.
We can package up two separate packages for you and FSX and an FS9 one.

If you feel you want nothing to do with FS9 then that is your choice but we couldn't endorse that, at this time. If you go that way you are still free to use any resources here that you need as we do not tie anybody down exclusively. We are an org that promotes creativity.

I hope this makes sense but if you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Steve
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Good day Steve,

I appreciate the reply, and all makes perfect sense. The main reason for the invitation that I put out, is to gain the assistance of an individual who has experience with the whole process. Basically I am looking for a "guiding hand" do to speak. When complete, it would be cool to have it all packaged up with an installer. I agree that I am the person with the most passion for this project, and have been researching my ass off. The other reason for the request is to see if we could gain a second 3D modeler. Ideally I would like to have the seawall and docks near the Seaplane lagoon built as custom 3D objects. I really like the way that Jim Dhaenens did his KNIP Jacksonville scenery, his solution would work well here.

I am putting together a document of intent for the project which will include Feasible items, and also features that would be nice to have. As you said we will run down the check list before release.

Sincerely, Preston
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Well it may be that as package manager you are already on the right track. You see what our packages consist of and how they are made up.
What you need to do is map out your project using our packages as a guide. What I mean is what are you including, what are you not. What scenery are you using? How many afcads do you need? What AI are you including? How many are static and how many fly? What models and schemes do you need?

These are fairly simple basic questions. When you map your project onto our package structure you will see what you have got, what you want and what you are not doing.
From there it is a simple listing operation, what you have completed, what you have in process and what you have to start.
Everything really starts from there. It may seem complicated but it is really a number of simple basic steps. The harder part is getting all that you want to the standard of the completed package.
Steve
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

What is a KiB? I tried to post some new pics for you guys, resized them to be below the maximum size, and it still says they are too big. However it quotes a KiB not a Kilobyte. What does this mean?

-Woog
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Ah ha, Success! Photobucket is our friend. Here are a few images of our Ai progress. This is a couple of flights that Corvette99 did yesterday. Mostly, MAIW aircraft, a couple are FS9 freeware models stripped of their panels, and converted to Ai. Again I must post the disclaimer, that these hangars are on temporary loan until our custom versions are completed.

-Woog
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Woogey wrote:Ah ha, Success! Photobucket is our friend.
Glad it works. :wink: