JASDF Bases

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: JASDF Bases

Post by Firebird »

All wise things there, John.
The thing about the Kobe textures is that if they are missing it will not cause the sim to crash. It will load it will just be untextured, I am sure that we have all had this with naked aircraft appearing because we have messed up on the texture folder. It is the same thing.

The only reason that the sim would crash is that there is a ground texture missing, and you are quite right to mention the VTP files as they will call default system textures.

You are right to note the fact that it loads OK at night which means that the very high probability is that a daylight ground texture(s) is/are either missing or corrupt.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-downloading and re-installing the package and all the required elements as a course of action. I think that in this case it will not be successful, but I really would love to be proved wrong.
Steve
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Brent Steve John I can report to you I deleted those two files and it loaded in the day
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Okay Andy, we've pretty much narrowed down exactly what the problem is based on the Procmon report and the success without the VTP files.

The first thing I want you to try is to re-download the project and copy the newly downloaded VTP files in. If things load successfully, it was a corrupted download and we are good to go.

We probably won't be that lucky, so after you try that, we have a plan B.

Here is a complete list of the files that Procmon showed did not load for you:

013B2Wa1.bmp
014B2Wa1.bmp
015B2Wa1.bmp
016B2Wa1.bmp
017B2Wa1.bmp
018B2Wa1.bmp
019B2Wa1.bmp
021B2Wa1.bmp
022B2Wa1.bmp
023B2Wa1.bmp

029B2Su1.bmp
029B2Su2.bmp
029B2Su3.bmp
029B2Su4.bmp
029B2Su5.bmp
029B2Su6.bmp
029B2Su7.bmp

The first group are all water texture tiles. The second group are all city texture tiles. These are being called by the land and water fills used to shape the new Kobe coast line.

I need you to check your install to see if they are there. They should be located in <Your FS9 install>\scenery\world\texture\

So, try a clean copy of the VTP file first, and if that doesn't work, check on those files for us.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

I checked those files and they are not there that's crazy
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Andy, that's exactly what we are looking for. Those missing files will certainly be a problem.

There is a solution for this. It's rather brute force, and maybe a bit of an overkill, but we don't know if there are more missing files besides those textures. There likely are. So, we will fix it all in one shot.

Run the FS9 install again (you will need the disks to do that), but instead of using the default install destination, use something special, like C:\FS9 FIX

Once it's done installing, copy the whole directory C:\FS9 FIX\scenery\world\texture right on top of <Your FS9 install>\scenery\world\texture\

This should replace all of your original texture set with the newly installed set, filling in any missing gaps along the way.

WARNING: If you have a texture replacement pack installed this will wipe it out and give you back the default textures.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Important note #2:

1) Before you start, make a backup copy of your fs9.cfg from your original install to your desktop.

2) Before you try to run fs9 again after the fix, delete the new copy and run the registry fixer from this page: http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Then you should be able to run FS9 fine. If something happens and it won't run, copy the fs9.cfg from your desktop back in.

That should get you back and running with all your textures again.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

That sounds too complicated Brent isn't there an easier way
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

There may be other ways, but first we need to determine how many files are missing in total. I have 4,235 files in <my FS9 install>\scenery\world\texture.

How many files do you have in that folder?
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Okay Andy, I have figured out an alternative method for you that should be easier, but may not catch additional missing files.

You will need the FS9 install CDs.

On Disc 4 there is a folder called Scenery. Inside that folder is a massive compressed file called World. If you open that file, it contains all of your missing texture files. One word of warning. The file is absolutely massive. It may take several minutes for your computer to open it. Your computer isn't frozen, just wait it out.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Listen Brent I'm going to use John's method of deleting the two files which succeeded now let's get back to designing Japanese bases okay

Are you ever going to make Kagoshima Fukuoka Kansai Hakodate and can you make a scenery for Tachikawa

Plus can you upload Tokyo heliport to the library
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

You do know that trying to use the scenery without the VTP files is going to create one heck of a god awful mess don't you?... And the game will keep crashing when you go to other areas that look for those files? They are core texture files. Many other places besides Kobe will be calling them.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Really? I did not know that okay I'll do that

Also did you see my comments about my requests
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Andy, you have a scenery issue, then we have the Puma size issue.
We should really get those fixed before we get to requests, especially as Brent is currently digging up half of Arizona.

We never prevent users making requests but rarely do modellers immediately do something asked for. We have learned over the years that they are far more productive creating things that they want to do. You have requested, fine. However, IF Brent does anything like that he will do so because he is interested in doing it and not because somebody keeps asking for it.

Human nature being what it is the more somebody keeps asking for something the less likely they are to get it.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

A polite "please" might increase your chances too, as will contributing something yourself.

John
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Okay Brent can you please make a scenery for Tachikawa and can you please upload the Tokyo Heliport to the library

I'v been dealing with a lot of stress I just started my senior year of high school I really would love to get this solved but I just don't know how
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

andypoppens wrote: 07 Sep 2017, 09:32 ... I just started my senior year of high school...

"Those unforgettable days, for them I live"

For the two questions, not yet and probably not.

1) Tachikawa is primarily a UH-1J base. If/when we get a model for that aircraft, I will make a modern scenery. In the meantime, Rugerfan did a retro verision that can be brute force kicked into working in FS9.

2) The Tokyo Heliport scenery is dependent on a third party photoreal scenery of Tokyo that appears to be no longer available. As I am 100% unwilling to do a scenery rebuild for Tokyo, that means it will never be fully functional for new downloaders and therefore, in my opinion, not fit for the Download Hangar. For people willing to deal with the shortcomings, it still available through the forum though. There is no reason you can't download it there, Just know that it is unsupported. We can't fix it being a floating island.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Brent let's forget Kobe for a while let's talk about the puma model size I changed the size from 13 to 9 but the pumas still won't show up plus have you considered making your own scenery for Yokohama plus would you like to see a list of Japanese airports I have been waiting for plus did you see the coast guard brochure and if so what did you think
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Andy,
It seems to have been proven that your FS9 installation is currently incomplete, You have lost some default textures maybe more than we have discovered due to your Kobe issues.
Now it may be your way of talking about something else besides your Kobe issues but you can't forget Kobe for a while. It is the most important issue you have. Nothing else matters.

Now if you have altered the size of the Pumas and you still don't have the traffic there then again it is a problem that only you have. When I checked the Puma issue that you reported it first it worked perfectly fine for me first time by following the instructions.
So do you really expect us to work on multiple issues that you have introduced to your system at the same time? These are issues that we can help identify and come up with answers BUT the fix for each is down to you to fix as only you have access to your system.
Are you really sure that YOU want to try and handle two issues at the same time.

Now finally on the scenery issue.
We get it.
You want ALL possible Japanese scenery NOW. In the nicest possible way you are not going to get that.
You may get some more and possibly even the majority of it over time, and here I mean potentially over years. The key question here is that YOU are trying to drive Japanese scenery production when YOUR biggest issue may mean that you won't be able to load the requested scenery. That sounds like madness.

You need to focus. We need to fix the most demanding and difficult issue, WITH your help. Please stop requesting new scenery.
Steve
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Thought you were on holiday steve here's the thing I want to take a break from this for awhile
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Andy, I understand that this is complicated and difficult, but it needs to be fixed. The problem isn't with the Kobe scenery. If you don't fix it, the game will crash in any other place that uses those same textures.