A-10 Thunderbolt II

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: A-10 Thunderbolt II

Post by petebramley »

I installed into P3Dv4 yesterday and would like to say thanks to John & Brent for an excellent package. The C-130's look great once converted to .dds and with the FSX/P3D update (a relatively easy job even for me).

Am now going through all my other C-130's converting the textures and then will check all the old MAIW/WOAI packages to get them up & running in my new system.

Keep up the good work its much appreciated here :-)
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
andypoppens
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by andypoppens »

Hey Brent you didn't say anything about Boise and Martin State A-10s
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

You are correct. I did not.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

What about Boise and Martin state then
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

clickclickdoh wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 13:03 The C-130s are on the original HTAI model with .bmp textures. To put them on the AIG update model you would need to swap the models and convert the textures to .dds

I'm not even sure if we have permission to distribute the AIG updated model.
Thank you. I just converted to the P3D C-130 model and converted the textures to dds. But I am confused at what to do with the alpha channels. On page 3 of that link I post there is a whole bunch of alpha channels for the C-130 (plus in the main download there are 2 alpha channels). I am confused and don't know what to do.

PS: the 2 alpha channels that come with the main download are alpha c130j military and alpha c130j no position lights. In the download on page 3 that I mentioned there are 46 different alpha channels.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

One last thing. In the 47th FS flightplans there is this line in the aircraft txt file AC#27,300,"JYAI Fairchild A-10C Thunderbolt II 163rd FS 79-0162" is that right? This plane is not in the aircraft cfg. This is for the FSX/P3D package.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

I just double checked the download in the library. It is the last aircraft entry in the aircraft.cfg file for the 47th FS.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks click, and I confirmed on my FSX, #162 texture is there, but no fltsim.xx entry. I see in AIEditor why the 163rd paint (ANG Test Center).

For Joseph29, check this thread on the conversion with Mark, the guy from AIG forums that made the alphas. I've started them after converting all to .dds, but need to find out why some now have a shine to the model during the day in sim.
http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forums/46/16761?start=40
Last edited by Victory103 on 28 Sep 2017, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Yup, it does appear to be missing from the FSX version of the aircraft.cfg entry for the 47th. I had checked the FS9 version.

For FSX users, the following text should be added after aircraft 25:

[fltsim.26]
title=JYAI Fairchild A-10C Thunderbolt II 163rd FS 79-0162
sim=JYAI_A-10_Thunderbolt_II
model=C_Clean
texture=C_47_79-0162
atc_id=
atc_airline=ATLAS
atc_flight_number=
atc_parking_codes=47FS
atc_parking_types= MIL_Combat
ui_manufacturer=JYAI
ui_type=A-10C
ui_variation=79_162
atc_heavy=0
description=for AI use only.

We used the 163rd for this aircraft instead of the 47th because it is marked as a 163rd aircraft, but tasked to the 47th for use at the ANG/AFRC test center.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Sorry about this but I have one more problem. I installed the scenery and I see no aircraft at DMA. I installed all the A-10's, the C-130's, and I already had the pavehawks installed. I have no clue why nothing shows up. And ideas on what to check? I already checked the aircraft numbering is correct. I ran ACA2017 and that didn't show any errors, and AIFP didn't show any errors.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

When you can't see AI traffic in FSX or P3D and everything is where it should be - aircraft, flight plans, AFCAD etc, 99% of the time it's because there is an FS9-formatted traffic file in play either in your world\scenery folder or in a local scenery folder. You can scan for such files with AIFP. If you haven't run that specific scan, I would certainly recommend it.

John
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

John Young wrote: 28 Sep 2017, 06:34 When you can't see AI traffic in FSX or P3D and everything is where it should be - aircraft, flight plans, AFCAD etc, 99% of the time it's because there is an FS9-formatted traffic file in play either in your world\scenery folder or in a local scenery folder. You can scan for such files with AIFP. If you haven't run that specific scan, I would certainly recommend it.

John
I downloaded the FSX/P3D version to be used in P3D v4. Would the scenery work right from the download in P3D? Because I didn't do anything with the scenery, I just installed it. There was a lot of trees where they were not supposed to be and the buildings didn't show up but the parking spaces for the AI was there.

PS: I scanned for FS9 traffic files and it didn't find any.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Did you add the scenery to your scenery.cfg file (\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4\) or have you added it using the new xml method.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

Joseph29 wrote: 28 Sep 2017, 03:04
clickclickdoh wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 13:03 The C-130s are on the original HTAI model with .bmp textures. To put them on the AIG update model you would need to swap the models and convert the textures to .dds

I'm not even sure if we have permission to distribute the AIG updated model.
Thank you. I just converted to the P3D C-130 model and converted the textures to dds. But I am confused at what to do with the alpha channels. On page 3 of that link I post there is a whole bunch of alpha channels for the C-130 (plus in the main download there are 2 alpha channels). I am confused and don't know what to do.

PS: the 2 alpha channels that come with the main download are alpha c130j military and alpha c130j no position lights. In the download on page 3 that I mentioned there are 46 different alpha channels.
I did the original conversion and created basic alpha channels for the C-130s. Mark Fox did a ton of work and created specific alphas that correctly mapped to all the different versions of C-130s out there (there are as many different lighting and window configurations as there are C-130s, probably more). These are the alphas on page 3. If you are lazy you can use my basic alphas and accept the fact that the lights don't align with the windows. If you want accuracy use Marks alphas. In his readme he explains the naming convention to help you figure out which alpha map you need based on the window layout and whether the paint has position lights (the "green slime" strips) or not.

Please read all the "readme.txt" files, they should explain everything, although I appreciate what may be obvious to us when we write it isn't necessarily clear to people reading it (especially if English isn't the native language).

thanks
Gavin
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

petebramley wrote: 28 Sep 2017, 08:18 Did you add the scenery to your scenery.cfg file (\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d v4\) or have you added it using the new xml method.
I am still new to P3D so I don't know the xml method.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Well I am giving up for now. I have no clue why no AI that is based there shows up. The only plane I saw at DMA was one of the US Marines King Air 350's.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Joseph, are you sure the path to the scenery in the library is right, it must find wherever you have installed DM. P3Dv4 doesn't have an addon scenery folder, but you can create one yourself. I didn't need the xml method to add DM to my P3Dv4 scenery library. I just did it the way I've always done it for FS9 and FSX through the library menu. No problem.

John
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Brent are you going to make Boise and Martin State A-10s
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer