F-35 Variants (FS9, FSX and P3Dv4)

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
TOMCAT42
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: F-35 Variants (FS9, FSX and P3Dv4)

Post by TOMCAT42 »

nice pictures.... thanks. happy christmas too
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

British MPs are questioning the unit price of F-35B currently at £150m each. I expect we will get one squadron which will be 617 as it has already been announced. MoD have already cut the Royal Navy seaborne assault capability much to disgust of the Royal Marines. I predict HMS Prince Charles, our other carrier will be mothballed to save money. So the "Lissie" as the RN Sailors are calling it will be used a helicopter assault ship with 617 supplying the ground attack aircraft.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The last thing I read, from somebody in the program, was that although the plan was still to get the 138 but that it was not seen as likely that all 138 would be Bs.
As they are the Tornado replacement that makes sense to me, what the breakdown will be I do not have any idea.

On the carriers I believe the idea is that only one will be in operation at any time so running costs will be naturally saved. I also read somewhere that a large portion of the costs of the second carrier have already been spent and scrapping will actually cost more than finishing her. Mothballing will be more costly than the constant rotation between the two plus you will have the permanent capability.

Whilst I am not too sure about the F-35 in a combat situation and nor the wisdom of buying the B in the first place I am not too convinced that what was ordered in the first place will never see service.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Merry Christmas John! They will be worth the wait!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
ruggerfan
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ruggerfan »

Looks like Wisconsin ANG and Alabama ANG can also be added to the list, as both were approved as the first ANG units to be assigned the F-35.
Larry
USAF Veteran
Air Transportation
"Life is like herding cats through a fish market."
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

ruggerfan wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 19:52 Looks like Wisconsin ANG and Alabama ANG can also be added to the list, as both were approved as the first ANG units to be assigned the F-35.

Hi Larry,

The Vermont ANG was announced in 2016 as the first ANG unit to receive F-35A's and the Wisconsin ANG and Alabama ANG will be the second and third ANG units to receive them. My old VT ANG squadron is supposedly receiving their's in 2019.
    Mike M.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

As I reported last week, Steve is beavering away on the FDEs for the F-35B's - the nose attitude on landing for the SRVL models is proving a challenge without having to resort to an animated lift and xml trigger. While he's doing that, we are releasing Part 1 of the F-35 series to help clear the decks. These are the F-35C's for FS9 with both conventional and carrier models with associated FDE's from Steve.

6 models are featured with 35 paints. Flight plans and files to adjust and enable the aircraft to be used with existing scenery of Eglin (VFA-101) and Lemoore (VFA-125 ) are also included, as are those to use the carrier models with the Carr2006 package at flightsim.com. The aircraft for VX-23 at Patuxent River are in the package too, but are awaiting Hartwig's finalisation of his update to his scenery to accommodate them.

This is the build sequence I'm working to, with Part 2 modelling also done:

• PART 1: F-35C’s - Land-based and Carrier - FS9
    • PART 2: F-35B’s - Conventional, STOVL, SRVL and VTOL - FS9
    • PART 3: F-35C’s - Land-based and Carrier - FSX/P3Dv4
    • PART 4: F-35B’s - Conventional, STOVL, SRVL and VTOL - FSX/P3Dv4
    • PART 5: F-35A’s - FS9
    • PART 6: F-35A’s - FSX/P3Dv4
    The Part 1 zip has been sent for inclusion in the Download Hangar and with thanks to Greg, it should be available later today. The file is called:

JYAI_F-35s_Part1_Cs_FS9_1.zip.

John
    Manschy
    Major
    Major

Post by Manschy »

What an outstanding work again! I know I am repetitive, but: You raise the bar again with each new model!
    Regards, Manfred.
    TheFoufure
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

For the future F-35B pack, ther is a scenery file of LHA available on AVSIM.

It is "tarawa_fleets.zip".

Description : "This scenery upgrades the old "Tarawa Florida Fleet" adding the LHA-1 Tarawa, LHA-2 Saipan and LHA-4 Nassau groups near several areas of the world, like Yugoslavia, Persian Gulf, South Korea, Panama, South Africa and Haiti. This pack contains a new "LPD Austin class" ship and in some of the new locations you will find the USS Confort from my "Florida Fleets" scenery. The old location near Florida still being there. Landables areas at LHAs, LPDs, Frigates, Tankers and USS Confort. Remember that if you need to refuel, just go to the tanker, land there and you will be refueled."
    JohnTenn
    Major
    Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Thank you to John and the team.

Pioneering work again.

John
    MIKE JG
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Looking good John!

LockMar cousins.......

-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
    mins
    Captain
    Captain

Post by mins »

The return of the king...^ ^b...

Happy New Year!
    btaylo24
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Makes me want to install FS9, just to see these birds fly.
    Barry
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm just about to make a start on the FSX/P3Dv4 conversion for the "C" package, having done an assessment of scenery prospects for Lemoore, Eglin, Pax River and Carriers.

The Henry Street FSX package of Lemoore is just fabulous in FSX and P3Dv4 (thanks Mike), but the AI F-18s from the FS9 MAIW Lemoore package - stable mates for the F-35s - only work with FSX of course. Henry's extensive scenery when used in P3Dv4 will look quite bare with just 5 F-35C's in it unfortunately.

Jamie's scenery of Eglin AFB also works well in both FSX and P3Dv4 if he can remove the sun shelters and water tower for me (I have PM'd him and I have my own FSX replacements I can insert). The MAIW F-15s also work well in FSX, but not in P3Dv4. However, the repaints of my FSX native F-15s by Mark Walsh should fill the gap very nicely.

Hartwig's Patuxent River scenery doesn't work well in FSX because of coastline differences. In P3Dv4, as well as that problem, most of the buildings do not show.

An FSX/P3Dv4 carrier option for the "C's" is a bit more elusive. Carr2006 doesn't work well in FSX and not at all in P3Dv4. I tried Tarawa_fleets.zip in FS9, (suggested above) but it's just weird. When I select Tarawa (TWFL) off the Florida coast, I start in the back of a pick up truck floating on it's own in the sea off the coast of Africa. When I go to find another carrier in the Middle East, I start with no carrier but just a sea of ice. I did find one carrier, but it's really basic. I know from the code used in the package, which was current 12 years ago, that it is not suitable for FSX, never mind P3Dv4.

The F-35B's will eventually use a new HMS Queen Elizabeth model I'm intending to make. However a "C" carrier scenery option for FSX and P3Dv4 isn't clear at the moment. Can anyone recommend an FSX carrier, preferably off the Florida coast and with a landable deck please? There are several at flightsim.com, but without trying them all I don't know which might be suitable.

John
    TheFoufure
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 08:16 I tried Tarawa_fleets.zip in FS9, (suggested above) but it's just weird. When I select Tarawa (TWFL) off the Florida coast, I start in the back of a pick up truck floating on it's own in the sea off the coast of Africa. When I go to find another carrier in the Middle East, I start with no carrier but just a sea of ice. I did find one carrier, but it's really basic. I know from the code used in the package, which was current 12 years ago, that it is not suitable for FSX, never mind P3Dv4.

John
    Yes, I also test this scenery and is not really top. I've tested other LHD type sceneries (Cavour and Garibaldi for Italy, Principe di Asturia for Spain) and they are better.
    VulcanDriver
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 14:12 The last thing I read, from somebody in the program, was that although the plan was still to get the 138 but that it was not seen as likely that all 138 would be Bs.
    As they are the Tornado replacement that makes sense to me, what the breakdown will be I do not have any idea.

On the carriers I believe the idea is that only one will be in operation at any time so running costs will be naturally saved. I also read somewhere that a large portion of the costs of the second carrier have already been spent and scrapping will actually cost more than finishing her. Mothballing will be more costly than the constant rotation between the two plus you will have the permanent capability.

Whilst I am not too sure about the F-35 in a combat situation and nor the wisdom of buying the B in the first place I am not too convinced that what was ordered in the first place will never see service.
    It would make sense for the RAF to use the C as it could be used on conventional carriers just in case the Lizzie class is modified in the next 25 years ;) Watched a programme on the F-35 the other night didn't realise it was designed in 1992 and its taken this long to get it in service!

At one time Cameron had suggested that one could be sold to French, as they wanted a new carrier, to cover part of the cost of the carrier programme. That's when it was going to a cat and trap carrier. When the ski jump returned that plan was scuppered.
    John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
    butcherbird17
    Cadet
    Cadet

Post by butcherbird17 »

Something to look forward to and these models will look great on moving carriers in FSX/P3D.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... arrier-ops!

Joe
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

John Young wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 08:16 Can anyone recommend an FSX carrier, preferably off the Florida coast and with a landable deck please? There are several at flightsim.com, but without trying them all I don't know which might be suitable.

John

John,

Below is a link for the USS Nimitz and Eisenhower by Javier Fernandez, Sylvain Parouty, adaptation by Rikoooo for use in FSX and P3D v1-4:

LINK REMOVED BY REQUEST
    Here is a quote from the change log:
    updated on 29/08/2017: Now 100% compatible with Prepar3D v1, v2, v3 and v4 + FSX, FSX-Steam Edition. Improved automatic installer, new version of AICarriers 2 (.NET) compatible with all the simulators mentioned above.

I haven't installed them yet in P3D v4.1, but hoipefully they will work fine.
      Mike M.
      John Young
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mike. I think they are AI carriers with landable decks for flyable aircraft. I was looking for a carrier I could set up the FSX/P3D AI F-35B's once made. Will these fit the bill do you think or do we have to wait for the moving carriers highlighted in Joe's post maybe?

John
      mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

John Young wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 16:13 Thanks Mike. I think they are AI carriers with landable decks for flyable aircraft. I was looking for a carrier I could set up the FSX/P3D AI F-35B's once made. Will these fit the bill do you think or do we have to wait for the moving carriers highlighted in Joe's post maybe?

John

Sorry John,

I was hoping that the download included both AI models and static scenery versions, but that is indeed not the case. :oops:
        Mike M.