FSX crashes after a short amount of time after installing some MAIW AI Packages

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

FSX crashes after a short amount of time after installing some MAIW AI Packages

Post by JoeJeepWrangler »

Hi everyone!
I was having a great time watching all of the amazing AI aircraft flying from place to place in FSX, but since yesterday, the game has become unplayable.
After 5-25 minutes, the game crashes.
I'm currently running the Miramar, Camp Pendelton, and Langley AFB MAIW packs. Upon crash, I receive the following error:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

R6025

-pure virtual function call

I don't understand what this means. I was told by some buddies to try capping my FPS to 60, but it didn't fix the problem.
Specs: CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 2.30GHz
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. FX706HE (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@144Hz)
Intel UHD Graphics (ASUStek Computer Inc)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU (ASUStek Computer Inc)
I greatly appreciate any help that can be provided. Thanks!
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: FSX crashes after a short amount of time after installing some MAIW AI Packages

Post by John Young »

It might be that FSX is trying to load a file that isn't present Joe. You need to narrow down the possible culprit by disabling the traffic files you have installed recently and testing just one at a time. Once we know which one is causing the crash, we can explore further.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FSX crashes after a short amount of time after installing some MAIW AI Packages

Post by Firebird »

That error is the bane of AI sims.
The cause is nearly always an AI aircraft that is using an effect that has not been altered for the AI engine.

This effect can be smoke, contrail, or most commonly afterburners.

The thing is the aircraft with the problem is not necessarily where the crash is. The spawning zone for an AI aircraft can be up to 100nm away. I once found that a crash at EGUL whilst testing F-15C/E aircraft was due to a Jaguar inbound to EGXC.

So, firstly have you added any effects to AI aircraft? If so undo that/those.
Secondly, are you using any flyable aircraft as AI aircraft? This is quite probably the cause. Remove those.

I say AI aircraft, but it can be AI boats as well. I once found an AI tug was causing crashes in Florida.

In your early days only use dedicated AI aircraft and effects UNTIL you gain knowledge of the pitfalls associated with using flybale aircraft and effects.
Steve
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Firebird wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 14:56 That error is the bane of AI sims.
The cause is nearly always an AI aircraft that is using an effect that has not been altered for the AI engine.

This effect can be smoke, contrail, or most commonly afterburners.

The thing is the aircraft with the problem is not necessarily where the crash is. The spawning zone for an AI aircraft can be up to 100nm away. I once found that a crash at EGUL whilst testing F-15C/E aircraft was due to a Jaguar inbound to EGXC.

So, firstly have you added any effects to AI aircraft? If so undo that/those.
Secondly, are you using any flyable aircraft as AI aircraft? This is quite probably the cause. Remove those.

I say AI aircraft, but it can be AI boats as well. I once found an AI tug was causing crashes in Florida.

In your early days only use dedicated AI aircraft and effects UNTIL you gain knowledge of the pitfalls associated with using flybale aircraft and effects.
I have not changed any affects as far as i know, and i'm not using any flyable planes as AI either, At least not intentionally.
As far as I know, these are my current AIs
My 3 Test flights at pago pago, all AI only
2 NASA MAIW F/A-18Cs operating from edwards AFB
MAIW NASA C-130 operating from edwards AFB
The MCAS Miramar Pack
The Camp pendelton Pack
The Langley AFB pack
and thats it i think
Joe
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am not in a position to dispute what you say.

That error is well known in AI circles. If you are 100% sure that you have not modded anything or added any flyable aircraft or effect, ( and by flyable I also mean ground or sea effects) then you have to then move onto what JY suggests.

There is always the case that an non-AI friendly effect overwrote the one on your system but that is likely to be be recognised by you as something that you would have done.
It could also be a corrupted graphic file.

The error is a Visual C++ error where it can't perform its function due to something being wrong with an effect, i.e bad code or missing graphic file.

There is nothing that we can do to fix this until you find the cause on your system.

Now you are fortunate in one respect. You say that your system is very small, which helps.
So, the way i would go about this is load up the sim and go to the place with the error and note exactly the date and time that it happens. This is your checkpoint.

So first thing to do is to wipe out all of your AI installations. This is only do-able on small installations like the one you describe.

Load the game and go to your checkpoint to confirm that no crash occurs.

Now install one of your packages. Load the sim and go to your checkpoint. Does it crash? If so then something from that is causing it, if not then all is good with that pack and you can move onto the next one.

Once you get a crash, you have to check the aircraft.cfg for all the effects it mentions. Write them down because then you have to check each one for all the graphic files. Also make sure that no scenery uses an effect, like smoke or fire.

Let us know what you discover.
Steve
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Is it maybe possible to use the method of elimination?

Disable half of your AIs, start FSX and check if it runs well. If so, enable one by one to see if the problem occurs. As soon as you find the culprit check its features.
Regards, Manfred.
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Firebird wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 08:22 I am not in a position to dispute what you say.

That error is well known in AI circles. If you are 100% sure that you have not modded anything or added any flyable aircraft or effect, ( and by flyable I also mean ground or sea effects) then you have to then move onto what JY suggests.

There is always the case that an non-AI friendly effect overwrote the one on your system but that is likely to be be recognised by you as something that you would have done.
It could also be a corrupted graphic file.

The error is a Visual C++ error where it can't perform its function due to something being wrong with an effect, i.e bad code or missing graphic file.

There is nothing that we can do to fix this until you find the cause on your system.

Now you are fortunate in one respect. You say that your system is very small, which helps.
So, the way i would go about this is load up the sim and go to the place with the error and note exactly the date and time that it happens. This is your checkpoint.

So first thing to do is to wipe out all of your AI installations. This is only do-able on small installations like the one you describe.

Load the game and go to your checkpoint to confirm that no crash occurs.

Now install one of your packages. Load the sim and go to your checkpoint. Does it crash? If so then something from that is causing it, if not then all is good with that pack and you can move onto the next one.

Once you get a crash, you have to check the aircraft.cfg for all the effects it mentions. Write them down because then you have to check each one for all the graphic files. Also make sure that no scenery uses an effect, like smoke or fire.

Let us know what you discover.
Did some testing, and i'm pretty sure it was either the miramar pack or the camp pendelton pack.
Leaving for a vegas vacation tommorow, will be gone for 2-3 days
Once i'm back ill let ya'll know, thanks for your patience and help so far!
Joe
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

You're running FSX on a fairly low-spec laptop computer by modern standards (10th gen i7/3050Ti 4Gb), and the packages you mention generate a great deal of traffic in a small area. I suspect that that is the cause of your issues - even on a very high-spec computer, I can quite easily crash P3D (any 64-bit version) in some parts of the world simply by weight of traffic if I have the slider up at 100%.

I suggest that as well as doing the elimination thing, you try turning down the traffic slider in Settings. Most MAIW traffic files have plans that are graduated at 1%, 20%, 50% and 80% (or something like that), and you can significantly reduce the load on the hardware by judicial adjustment. FSX, as a 32-bit program, has limited ability to address VRAM and will run itself out of memory quite easily!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Tim is quite right about system resources.
The thing I would say is that you have discovered an issue. Now it maybe that following Tim's advice will mask the issue IF the aircraft with the issue is one that wants the traffic slider set to 100%. What I mean is that it can manifest itself somewhere else that uses that aircraft where it doesn't need 100% traffic.

So taking Tim's advice into account, maybe you should leave traffic at 100% and try each pack on it's own until you find the cause. This why may take longer but it should allow you to find the cause whilst mitigating the point that Tim made.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Agreed, Steve - I didn't intend that Joe should stop doing the elimination process. It's something I should try myself!
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Back from Vegas, sorry for the wait! Gonna try to solo out the cause of this issue. will post updates soon!
EDIT: Booted up my game and a new issue is arriving.
This is the second time that the game has randomly ruined my AFCAD for edwards air force base. all parking spots are gone and i did not modify my game or flight plans at all. Anyone know why this is happening?
Attachments
image (1).png
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It's that Halloween Gremlin again Joe!

You may be trying to load the KEDW default scenery - it has no parking spots. Did you disable your custom KEDW with the parking spots to do the crash testing? Just check if it's disabled and enable it again if so. Failing that, re-install the custom version if it's not in the library.

John
Last edited by John Young on 15 Nov 2023, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

It's goblin hunting time again.

The Scenery I use is the one from Rikooo, It seems the AFCAD stops working if i end a flight and then launch another flight without restarting the game.
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

So, I was partly right, for some reason the custom scenery gets disabled in the scenery library and you are left with the default KEDW that has no parking spots.

I have no idea why the Rikooo scenery would do that, unless it's related to it's huge size and your low spec lap top in some way. I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same problem?

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

BlueSky Scenery (that's who published the KEDW available at Rikoooo) warns that using the P3Dv5 versions of their sceneries will crash FSX-P3Dv4. It's worth making sure that the version of their KEDW you're using is the FSX-specific (or FSX to P3Dv4) build, and not one made for P3Dv5 or later sims.

Their KEDW scenery includes a huge photoreal background covering 14500 sq km. It may be that your computer is struggling to load it on a flight restart and FSX dumps the scenery area. That may be recorded in the logs - particularly if you're using FSX:SE. If you're on a boxed version of FSX, you may be limited to the Event Viewer, which probably won't tell you much about what's going on inside the program!
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The version i have is the FSX version.
Seems it wasn't the the miramar pack or the camp pendelton pack after all. The crash is back, after i had them disabled.
Also, No new AI planes will show up, and my AI C-130 has dissapeared. Any idea what on earth is going on here?
It isn't leaving a crashlog when it occurs.
If my computer just isn't powerful enough to run AI planes, i'm very suprised
This PC runs most modern games at the highest specs
Attachments
image (1).png
Joe
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I seems like you are trying to solve 3 faults at the same time:

1. AI aircraft that crash the sim
2. Your custom Edwards scenery that drops out to the default
3. AI aircraft that won't show

Disable Edwards for now and try and solve 1. Solving 1 might also solve 2.

Fault 3 you say, refers to new AI planes. Have you tested the traffic files that they are in, for FS9 format?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Error finding can be complicated at the best of times. As stated by JY, do not try to solve all at once. Exactly the same as with PC problems. It never ends well. What you will find quite often is that solving one issue will often solve others including ones you haven't found yet.

Now to go back to the beginning the R6025 error is a Visual C++ error with an incompatible effect file. Google it and you will see.

So if you have followed what we suggested and uninstalled all of our packages that you mentioned, does it still crash at the checkpoint - the time and place that you noted the crashes to take place.
In error finding you can't assume things you have to check. So with everything uninstalled of ours does it still crash at the checkpoint? Your last post seems to indicate that but it is not clear.

If so then you installed the error some time ago and only just found it. If not then it is something that you installed, or got corrupted, with our packs.

So clear out our stuff and go to the checkpoint and report what happens.
Steve
JoeJeepWrangler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Firebird wrote: 16 Nov 2023, 10:29 Error finding can be complicated at the best of times. As stated by JY, do not try to solve all at once. Exactly the same as with PC problems. It never ends well. What you will find quite often is that solving one issue will often solve others including ones you haven't found yet.

Now to go back to the beginning the R6025 error is a Visual C++ error with an incompatible effect file. Google it and you will see.

So if you have followed what we suggested and uninstalled all of our packages that you mentioned, does it still crash at the checkpoint - the time and place that you noted the crashes to take place.
In error finding you can't assume things you have to check. So with everything uninstalled of ours does it still crash at the checkpoint? Your last post seems to indicate that but it is not clear.

If so then you installed the error some time ago and only just found it. If not then it is something that you installed, or got corrupted, with our packs.

So clear out our stuff and go to the checkpoint and report what happens.
It turns out that i had forgotten to remove one traffic folder from Miramar and Camp pendelton, I'll have to run some tests to see if that fixes the R6025 Issue.
Also, i'm pretty sure that the edwards AFCAD error is fixed.
I am very sorry for the confusion I caused. Panicking and posting about 3 issues made the thread quite messy. I'll try my best to not do this anymore. Thank you all for your help!

PS: I'm working on switching to P3D pretty soon
Joe
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK, but leaving the traffic file will not cause the error. It will just not find the aircraft that the flightplans are for.
Only effects that are attached to aircraft/scenery cause the error.

So now that you have everything cleaned out, does it crash at the checkpoint?
Steve