Waypoints

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Waypoints

Post by Jorgen »

I figured this forum was the best place for this question:

Is there any source for waypoints, maybe even for worldwide waypoints?

Jorgen
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Waypoints

Post by Firebird »

As far as I know there is nobody that is building a worldwide package of waypoints.

The simplest reason is that it would take too long to create one and then you have the difficulty of maintaining it. There is also the fact that even if you build it then you still need people to amend there plans to use them or it is pointless.

So in reality it is down to collecting them yourself from various packages. The problem you then have is keeping track of what they all are. My favourite way is to rename the files to something meaningful i.e. AF2_EG1M.bgl becomes AF2_EG1M_Boscombe Down Heli.bgl .

It maybe that somebody has put together something like this for their own use and is willing to share. We will see what responses you get here.
Steve
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Yes, I was afraid that waypoints was a somewhat "unorganized" topic. On the other hand, those thar develop lots of sceneries and/or flight plans would probably (in my thinking) have a stash lying around, so they wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel every time.

Jorgen
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Firebird wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 06:38 As far as I know there is nobody that is building a worldwide package of waypoints.

The simplest reason is that it would take too long to create one and then you have the difficulty of maintaining it. There is also the fact that even if you build it then you still need people to amend there plans to use them or it is pointless.

So in reality it is down to collecting them yourself from various packages. The problem you then have is keeping track of what they all are. My favourite way is to rename the files to something meaningful i.e. AF2_EG1M.bgl becomes AF2_EG1M_Boscombe Down Heli.bgl .

It maybe that somebody has put together something like this for their own use and is willing to share. We will see what responses you get here.
In the past, in the first months of MAIW's life, there was a specific download section for Waypoints. These wyapoints came from all the available packs. And if I remember correctly, they were classified by country or region.
It would be very practical if this were put back in place, for example with maps of the regions showing where the Waypoints are located. For my part, I added them to my Google Earth (not all unfortunately) and it gives a great idea for creating FP.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You are correct that there was such a pack in the early days and there was a map showing their location.

The map was discontinued when the person that created it found that it was too difficult to maintain. The original pack was basically something created by the original UKMIL team, known as UKMILAI, with some of our own ones added.

Realistically, what you need is someone that hoovers up all files and has created a folder to store all waypoints and is willing to zip them up. The map is a non-starter purely because if it was too difficult to maintain in 2006 imagine what it will be like now.

From a naming point of view, I view the bgls in a text editor and you can see the internal name given to it that will show up in AFX, ADE etc. However, taking a set of Greek waypoints as an example GR09 has an Airport Name of 'Waypoint GR09' which doesn't help a lot. It does have a city name of 'Mediterranean Sea' but so does GR05/6/7/8.

I would offer up that it would take somebody a year just to create what you are talking about from scratch, including adding a good naming standard to each file.

If somebody wanted to take on the task to create and maintain a repository and/or map I am sure that we could find some help for them.
Steve
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

This is embarrassing :smt005 I'm such a geek that I have a map.

It's split into five layers that won't be of much help to anyone. As you see, I started it from a file I found here somewhere in 2018. Then I added those from Matrix, and so on over (a lot of) time.

I could probably hoover up the bulk of them from my folders fairly quickly if you like, though it might be messy. I may have recreated several for someone's flightplans if I couldn't find them, and I've often added "runways" to make them show up in AI Flight Planner.

Jim
Attachments
MAIW Waypoints.zip
(34.63 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
layers.JPG
layers.JPG (20.51 KiB) Viewed 476 times
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Firebird wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 10:19 You are correct that there was such a pack in the early days and there was a map showing their location.

The map was discontinued when the person that created it found that it was too difficult to maintain. The original pack was basically something created by the original UKMIL team, known as UKMILAI, with some of our own ones added.

Realistically, what you need is someone that hoovers up all files and has created a folder to store all waypoints and is willing to zip them up. The map is a non-starter purely because if it was too difficult to maintain in 2006 imagine what it will be like now.

From a naming point of view, I view the bgls in a text editor and you can see the internal name given to it that will show up in AFX, ADE etc. However, taking a set of Greek waypoints as an example GR09 has an Airport Name of 'Waypoint GR09' which doesn't help a lot. It does have a city name of 'Mediterranean Sea' but so does GR05/6/7/8.

I would offer up that it would take somebody a year just to create what you are talking about from scratch, including adding a good naming standard to each file.

If somebody wanted to take on the task to create and maintain a repository and/or map I am sure that we could find some help for them.

I could continue to identify the Waypoints and continue to put them in Google Earth, and then share the KMZ/KML file. But to read it, users would also need to have Google Earth software (and not the online version).

But for that, I would have to start from scratch with all the MAIW packs.

Help would be welcome for the list of Waypoints for each pack.
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Here's the easiest part. My Matrix folder.
I've tinkered with it, but maybe someone has the original?
Attachments
MAIW_GLOBAL_WAYPOINTS.zip
(404.71 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I've found this in my backups. I presume I got it from MAIW, but not sure about "2018" as the files in the zip are dated 2005 to 2021.
Attachments
Waypoints.zip
(633.09 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

OK, the above Waypoints.zip file was posted by Bismark 14-May-2018, and next day JimRodger added a map here...
https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/topi ... ml#p185903

Jim
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Jim wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 10:50 This is embarrassing :smt005 I'm such a geek that I have a map.

Jim

Never apologise for being a nerd. The world is run by nerds.
Steve
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Gentlemen, I can see now what an enormous task this would be!

The reason I asked the question is that I have a feeling that I am missing a bunch of waypoint, because some of my military AI traffic is not showing up as I would expect it. But many thanks to Jim for the files, they may contain just what I need.

Jorgen

Can't spell properly now, I've had to edit twice...
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

My belated thanks to bismark, jimrodger and Greg too.

Jorgen, if you can't find what you need and it's on my map, I've probably got it somewhere.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

I'll be testing this tomorrow, I am in the process of moving my photosceneries around to SSDs.

Jorgen
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Ok that is ages that I didn't write here but hey!!!
My name is Bismarck, with the CK at the end! :mrgreen: :smt005 :smt005

Nice to see that something done so many years ago, could be yet useful!

Ciao, Giorgio
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Sorry bizz. :smt006

Good to see that you can be aroused with just a half rub of the lamp :smt003
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

That might not translate, but it's the panto season here :smt017
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Jim wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 22:35 That might not translate, but it's the panto season here :smt017
Oh no it isn't :D
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Four pages of emojis, but I can't find a "He's behind you" or even just a facepalm :-)
Though (as an aside) there is one catching a chicken! So I need to fit that in sometime...