The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
raclim
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by raclim »

Maybe the Short Belfast would be nice addition to the retro list. Only 10 were build and served with the RAF from 1966 to 1976. A vew soldiered on in the civil-cargo market up until early 2000's I believe. Only 2 models would be required, with refuelling probe (RAF) and without (civil).

Just my thought.

Regards,
Randy
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Firebird wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 10:38 (...) From a current-to-retro idea then i would like to see the Mirage 2000 family get the JY and get its full justice.

3 years ago, I created new Mirage 2000 models with flightplans for P3Dv4 / P3Dv5:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... r-p3d-hsai

The package also includes converted French scenery (FS9 Nick Black scenery converted by Pete Bramley). The models should work in FSX as well, they are in MDLXMDLH format.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

John,
I did not have any particular sqn in mind for the B.IV/PR.4 .
A quick look suggest 105 based in Norfolk/Suffolk was the first to use it and 139 which allegedly inspired the 633 Sqn book.

Both were based at Horsham St Faith for a time, or Norwich airport as it is now.

Thanks for that but as I said feel free to use it as a distraction project rather than a priority.

On a similar track of thought, if you wanted to work your way through the Spitfire/Seafire marks at some point it would be a wonderful collection.

A really out there suggestion would be some of the Projects that got cancelled and spelled the end of the British aircraft industry in the 50s and 60s, but I realise that this is really niche and the chances of getting good 3-view drawings of anything other than the TSR2 would be slim.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Funnily enough, Steve, I was looking at Horsham St Faith last night - though around 1960, not WW2. 74 Sqn Hunters and 228 Sqn Whirlwinds…
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

A BAC TSR-2 AI aircraft actually exists, and looks good. Made by Team SDB, and available as part of a couple of their airfield series.

Mention of the Whirlwind makes me think of the Sikorsky S-55, and then of the S-58.

Jorgen
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have just thought of some more. A very underappreciated aircraft - the DH Hornet.

Of course I also thought of the Typhoon/Tempest family. I mean who could resist a JYAI Typhoon/JYAI Typhoon display team!

I will stop now before I mention the Scimitar again. Damn, too late.

I must stop posting to this thread!
Steve
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

Another long-shot for Chinese airfields: Most numerous helicopters are Changhe Z-8, Z-10 and Harbin Z-19.

As an aside; any painters here want to dress up the APAI H-65 as a Z-9, the JYAI S-70 as a Z-20 or the SBAI Mi-8M as Mi-17/171?
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

And the F-84 (both straight and swept wings) and F-86.... and for the Naval guys, F2H and F9F...

Jorgen
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah you see that is the thing, once you start thinking... you can't stop.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

hschuit wrote:
Firebird wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 10:38 (...) From a current-to-retro idea then i would like to see the Mirage 2000 family get the JY and get its full justice.

3 years ago, I created new Mirage 2000 models with flightplans for P3Dv4 / P3Dv5:

The package also includes converted French scenery (FS9 Nick Black scenery converted by Pete Bramley). The models should work in FSX as well, they are in MDLXMDLH format.
And what a great model that one is. As I said… it is calling for more models from you…. ;-)

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

John Young wrote:
To give a few more people the opportunity to contribute (come on Martin)

John
Did you see my PM from last week, John? :-)

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Martin, I have the acknowledgement about holding my Ford upload until Tom had uploaded his. He has now done that I believe, so both can be released.

The "come on Martin" had nothing to do with that. I'm always interested in your ideas and I won't make any decisions on future projects until I've seen your latest ones.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I think some parts of my last message went unnoticed, John.
gsnde wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 18:41 ...
Oh I love the shots from your last message. I always hoped for some of the iconic models to be made, like the Corsair, He 219, Me 262, P-61 and some Bristols. Or a Zeppelin :-) Did you play around with what I have send you?

And do you already have an idea what project you like to do after this one? While there were so many different aircraft in the 60, 70 and 80, today the inventory is much reduced.

You could do something special, for example like the Boeing 314 Clipper, Do X or Short Sunderland. Not sure if that is even possible, but I always wanted to see the X-15 or X-2, dropped from their AI mothership and fly away and get invisible after distance xx. If you have the X model as a separate model you could even simulate the landing.

Or you could redo one of the existing aircraft like the F-22 or CH-47 which look a bit rough compared to the standard you have set.

Or something retro, but much later than WW II. For example, the Thunderjet/Thunderstreake/Thunderflash family or the Venom/Vampires (that would add perfectly to your RAF collection).

Cheers
Martin
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Just downloaded and installed RAF Ford and the aircraft.

In the aircraft txt file for the flight plans, there is an error - the aircraft number cannot have a leading zero, the 602 Sqn Spitfires have that.

Jorgen
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

A bit late to the party but here is my suggestion. The KC390 as already mentioned as they are slowly coming out in greater numbers. The only other thing not already mentioned is the B-21 Raider but understand that might be a little difficult as there are no good pictures of it yet. Just thought for the retro side how about a HP Halifax & Bristol Blenheim,

Regards
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Apart from refreshing this thread, it's great and reassuring to hear from everyone again.

Martin, sorry, I don't have your message of the 28 December unfortunately. I thought Outlook, that Microsoft forced on me, would be an improvement on Windows 10 mail, but it isn't. It's just a clutter, never mind the wretched advert, masquerading as a message, that arrives as a new message, every time I open the program. Your copy of the ideas you submitted is great and just what I would expect from you. Thank you. I did spend a few hours on the Zeppelin, but I couldn't keep it stable at the right mooring height because of it's size. Also, because of the enormous length, the pitch up on take-off, even though small, still submerges a quarter of the envelope in the runway.

I've nearly finished the Mosquito B.IV/PR.IV for Steve. It was a bit more to it than I was anticipating and for some reason, it had a different camo pattern than the FB previously produced, so a bit of painting was needed. As soon as I've finished with the model, I'll go through the suggestions here and do some research and analysis.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

John Young wrote:
I thought Outlook, that Microsoft forced on me, would be an improvement on Windows 10 mail, but it isn't.
Microsoft is not to blame in this case, John. This was my last private forum message to you here at MAIW…. :-)

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I would still blame MS though.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

hschuit wrote:

Of course, not being able to use those it completely slipped my mind.
Steve
tag21
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by tag21 »

As Steve suggested, the Typhoon/Tempest has my vote, plus the Sea Fury in a RN setting.