The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

ModelConverterX - please read

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

ModelConverterX - please read

Post by gsnde »

You may have noticed that Arno is polishing MCX into perfection just now. There is a fascinating ping-pong thread between him and Tom (CalClassic) where they ferret out all issues. This started with Arno having a new take on FSX to FS9 conversion.

I have tested and gave my feedback to Arno as well, so we are in discussion. Now that most of the issues are solved, I realized that Tom has a very classic viewpoint on this topic and asked Arno, if he wants to have your input for modern / jet conversion.

The idea is, that MCX can do most of all conversions by itself, without pointing it to self made xml files.

What I think you guys know that Tom might not are animations like folding wings, lifting wings, afterburner, maybe model lifting etc. You get the idea.

In order to test you would need to download the development version of MCX. Make sure you backup and delete the old setting file (appdata / local / scenerydesign.org / modelconverterx) to start with the default settings.

Our focus is mainly the conversion from FS9 to FSX as a starter. Take some appropriate models and see what does not work as expected. Then tell Arno and show him how you fix it (what code you use etc.).

Arno will build all this into MCX.

This is the post @ FSDeveloper

It would be great if you find the the time to support this. Many thanks!!!

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Captain
Version: FS9

Re: ModelConverterX - please read

Post by jgowing »

This is such an interesting development, and I've been following the thread on FSDeveloper. Despite my inexperience, I wanted to start testing a bit myself. Using a simple FSX model, I was successful using the current MCX beta to convert to FS9, with animations intact and textures separately converted. It also shows up correctly in Aircraft Editor.

The converted model then displays correctly in the preview window when selected from the aircraft list. So far so good, but when I create a flight, the sim crashes. I am certain I have missed something simple in the cfg or air file, and that is where my inexperience shows.

I wanted to ask first here, as I didn't want to bother Arno with what I suspect is a naive question.

Jon
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It is not necessarily a naive question.
However, there are a few basic things.

Firstly is it a flyable model or an AI model that you are converting to FS9?
What is the crash that you are getting with FS9 e.g. what percentage when loading the game or loading the flight?

Finally what is the model that you are testing?
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

It might be something that happened to me as well. Reason still unknown, but some sections have been introduced into the model that made FS9 crash.

Arno is looking at it. But on second thought… if I remember correctly, in my case the converted model did not load into MCX either.

Send from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by jgowing »

It's an AI model, Todd Bolgrin's FSX Piper Aztec seemed a good place to start. FS9 loads okay, and I can see the converted Aztec in the preview window. I'd created a simple flightplan, and selected the create a flight parameters. The sim then crashes after a short while as the flight loads.

I disabled the Aztec flight plan, leaving all other traffic intact, and reselected my flight. Everything is then okay, so the fault lies within my conversion.

Jon
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

And further to Martin's comment, the converted model does load in MCX.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't know if this helps, but on the few occasions I did a Gmax conversion from FSX to FS9, the sim would usually not load the model from the first few tries. Every vestige of FSX code needed to be removed, principally the GUID and FriendlyName, any XML code specific to FSX and all FSX animation and visibility tags.

John
gapeters
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by gapeters »

I would swap the .air file first and see if it loads. I am on this conversion train as well and this is one thing (especially with Todd's) that will CTD as you mention. Just try any working fs9 .air file first and you can find a suitable replacement if this is the fix..

Greg
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Thanks Greg, I'll try that when I next get time and report back. Out of curiosity, why did you mention that CTD was especially likely with Todd's? If we can make this work, he has warbirds (Avenger, B-26) that would also be targets.

Jon
gapeters
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by gapeters »

Well I have done a handful of his (Citation X, QueenAir, Metroliner) and I had CTD with those using the included FDE. Not sure if there is something in the .air files that are FSX specific but switching them out with one form something else always worked then. Would like to know if this works for you as well..

Greg
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I can confirm that crashes and erratic behavior in the sim is often due to the air file.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Okay, I can report progress, but not yet success.

Switching the air file did indeed prevent CTD, and the plane displays in the sim. It starts and taxies fine, although the props stop when the engine is idling.

Take off is also okay, and the undercarriage retracts, but when the plane starts a right turn to begin the circuit, it dives into the ground. The air file I used was Todd's from his FS9 Pa23 Apache, so it should be a perfect match.

Jon
gapeters
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by gapeters »

I can report the same issues with his models and FDE's. I have had great success with some large frame commercial models and using and tried and true FDE from FS9 with very little issues though, so maybe move to another modeler..

For example, I have the Citation X converted as well but have had the same problem you describe with falling back to the ground. No matter what FDE I have tried to merge with (I have some that work better than others) I get the same result. I think its something inherent to the CG in the modeling or something, but they all seem to be very unstable...just my observations of course..

Greg
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

That's good to know, as I was assuming I'd done something wrong. I swapped in the original FS9 Pa23 Apache and it flew fine. When I compared the FDE's between the Apache and the Aztec, the latter had a radically different CG figure. So, I might try to tweak as and when.

Meanwhile, I tried a conversion from another modeller, one John Young, and the result was way better. Nearly everything seems good, although MCX reported only partial conversion of the animation, but a trip round the circuit looked faultless.

Jon
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

So I'm not the only one with TBAI Citation X issues, good to know. Searched over at AIG and added the 2022 update, doesn't seem to help as I'm seeing them "fall" through scenery in P3D. Now have MCX 1.7, still not a one click conversion process but learning with basic imports to P3D format.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I don't have that Citation but can I assume that you don't have any issues in it's original sim.

Falling through the scenery is nearly always a contact points issue Try comparing them to those in the DWAI Citation. Different aircraft I know but you might see something really off.

Also check your reference_datum_position and empty_weight_CG_position parms. In an ideal world both of these should be 0,0,0. If they are not then don't forget that the contact points are offset from the datum point.
At a very basic level the cg position should be between the nose gear and the main gear.

If you see the aircraft bounce and disappear on initial load then the issue is with the gear compression.

There are also problems if the static_cg_height and static_pitch are not accurate enough.
For example if the cg height is too high the model will be dropped onto the floor on its initialization. This can cause the aircraft to fall through the floor especially if the cg is very off centre.
if it is too low then the model is placed underground to start with and will sink.

Have a look at those things and see if you can spot anything. Like I said if the position parms are 0,0,0 then it makes life easier but if you alter the reference point you must alter things like the contact points, fuel and lights.

So be careful and keep a backup of the original cfg file so you can easily back out any testing you do.
Steve