Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by John Young »

I’ve been thinking about these suggestions for the past few days. I think there are about 30 in total, which is clearly too many to eat this year. Reducing the list down a bit, I have to say that I am not particularly interested in Chinese, Russian and Pakistani ai. I do like some of the retro suggestions, particularly the Royal Navy aircraft, which are a bit of a gap. Sorry, but I vowed never to produce the Alouette III because I just find the shape hideous. The Belfast swamps the polygon budget with so many wheels.

Looking at the same suggestions from multiple users, the following seem popular:

• KC-390 x5

• Bell UH-1 x 3

• Seahawk X2

• KAI T-50 x 2

• CH-53 x 2

• Hunter x 2

I think I need to tackle the UH-1 at some time soon, but it’s a huge project, although the painters might welcome it. The Seahawk is very appealing, particularly if I packaged it with the Scimitar and perhaps a Gannet. The Hunter, as suggested, could do with a remake and that too is appealing.

I really wanted a break from helicopters and retro props and do something next that's mainstream, fixed wing and modern, with wider appeal. The KC-390 fits that nicely, I think. I have already done a little research and the numbers are very doable. Tim has also been researching scenery for the aircraft and there are plenty of options available. 3 view drawings are not brilliant, but OK. I think I am going to press ahead and make it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. That’s given me a refreshed list to come back to.

John
flyerkg
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by flyerkg »

John,
Thanks for sharing these thoughts on next project.
I would definitely try and work up to building the UH-1. If I could ever dedicate time to learning modeling and working at it for a bit. This would definitely open Pandora's box for retro repaints.

Keith
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

John,

With all due respect, I will disagree on the "hideous" shape of the Alouette III. For a time, back in the '70s, I lived pretty close to EKVL/Vaerloese and saw these on a regular basis, as well as heard them "singing", quite different from other helicopters. And everyone who has seen the Dutch Alouette team perform their "Carousel" will remember that with awe.

Even though you're perhaps sick and tired of helicopters, every time I see the tail "boom" of the Alouette II, I can't help thinking of the Bell 47/OH-13/Westland Sioux and whatever else it was called.

Just my bent 5 Euro-cents -

Jorgen
Kelleymoe
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Kelleymoe »

Wow, the Seahawk would be a great addition! Also, I forgot about the Scimitar and Gannet. Those three aircraft would be great for our retro fleet. I found a Gannet online that I tried converting to AI use. Nice to look at, but it crashes my FSX after a few minutes.

Thank you,

Mike
Mike Franks
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

As always, John. Anything you build is going to be OK with me.
Steve
Jobza Guddun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jobza Guddun »

^ Wot 'e sed! ^
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

John Young wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:00 I have to say that I am not particularly interested in Chinese, Russian and Pakistani ai

I really wanted a break from helicopters and retro props and do something next that's mainstream, fixed wing and modern, with wider appeal.
Since there isn't to many new mainstream, fixed wing, modern aircraft left to do have you thought about making new models of older existing AI aircraft? Like the C-17 or the F-18 Hornets for example.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The MAIW C-17 isn't that bad and doesn't really justify the effort at the moment. Better to make the KC-390 as a greater priority. The F-18 is just too big a subject - not so much the models, but the paints.

John
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

While I personally would like to see something new; such as the J-10, J-20, J-31, Su-57, Su-75, F-Ck-1, B-21 ect... A couple of voids I noticed in the helicopter world... Ch-46 (know the 47 was covered extensively... but don't see the 46..), KA-50 / 52, Mil-28... Just throwing out some ideas...
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain

Post by jetpilot1980 »

Also another idea... Not a true "military airplane" per-se but definitely something fast and pointy nosed... What about a Tu-144 "Concorde-ski"?
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

I know John already has decided but maybe for future reference, how about a new TriStar model? The CDAI & DWAI models are showing their age now & a proper RAF KC1 example would be nice as well
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thank you all. Anything recorded here remains very useful. It took me a few years to work through the previous proposals, so I have plenty to consider going forward.

For the current project, I'm now well advanced with the KC-390 modelling (what a good suggestion that was) and I'm tempted to make the EMB E-99s and R-99s as the stable mates that go with them. They are all based at Anapolis (SBAN) and Tim is working on this scenery. We may well need some Brazilian Grippen repaints too, but I'll update further on where we are going with this, once I have a teaser ready.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The Embraers will be very welcome addition.

Of course you do bring up one thing that I had forgotten about. The Gripen E/Fs. I know that they are very slightly longer but I don't know how else they differ from the C/D in appearance.
Maybe Kev will be inclined to do these two versions for his collection.
Steve
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Firebird wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 17:08 The Embraers will be very welcome addition.

Of course you do bring up one thing that I had forgotten about. The Gripen E/Fs. I know that they are very slightly longer but I don't know how else they differ from the C/D in appearance.
Maybe Kev will be inclined to do these two versions for his collection.

+1

Regarding second part of your message.

Gripen E/F is longer, wing root is thicker so it can fit main landing gear that was been positioned differently and count that gear travel is completely different. Not that I didn't think of asking Kev to cooperate on this one.
VIVA LA VIDA
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

John Young wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 16:04 Thank you all. Anything recorded here remains very useful. It took me a few years to work through the previous proposals, so I have plenty to consider going forward.

For the current project, I'm now well advanced with the KC-390 modelling (what a good suggestion that was) and I'm tempted to make the EMB E-99s and R-99s as the stable mates that go with them. They are all based at Anapolis (SBAN) and Tim is working on this scenery. We may well need some Brazilian Grippen repaints too, but I'll update further on where we are going with this, once I have a teaser ready.

John
Sounds great John! I was frustrated at the lack of a Mexican R-99 just the other day, if you or anyone enjoys painting in grey. https://www.aitraffic.ch/index.php?topi ... 5#msg32245
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

the link above needs a login ?
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

f4nutter wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 10:28 the link above needs a login ?
Yes, it's a forum like this one ;-)
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Jim wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 10:25
John Young wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 16:04 Thank you all. Anything recorded here remains very useful. It took me a few years to work through the previous proposals, so I have plenty to consider going forward.

John
Sounds great John! I was frustrated at the lack of a Mexican R-99 just the other day, if you or anyone enjoys painting in grey. https://www.aitraffic.ch/index.php?topi ... 5#msg32245
I use some from FS2002. Good enough for AI traffic.

https://simviation.com/1/download?file= ... leId=18546
https://simviation.com/1/download?file= ... leId=19326

https://www.allflightmods.com/flight-si ... pasw-p-99/
https://www.allflightmods.com/flight-si ... 145-rsags/
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Anapolis (SBAN) is an interesting subject and it's very poorly represented in FSX/P3D. Indeed, in P3Dv5 the stock airfield has runways piled on top of each other so I doubt it would work even with parking added! In covering the airfield and contemplating the traffic that it might generate and receive, I've looked at the whole of the Brazilian Air Force and concluded that it's very sparsely covered here at MAIW, yet it's an interesting topic.

As well as John's upcoming C-390 and E/R-99, we have paints for the JYAI C-130s, some T-27 Tucanos, a single A-29 Super Tucano, Phenom 100, and the C-105 Amazonas (C-295). The Lear 35 is covered also, but I believe that has just gone, or is just about to go, out of service.

We are missing paints for: the rest of the A-29 fleet, the AMX A1-M, the F-5EM/FM, the Orion P-3AM, A330 MRTT, A319, Emb 190 (VC2) C-98 Caravan, H-50 Esquilo (AS-350), Cougar (Super Puma) HM-3 and the Black Hawk H-60L.

As far as I can tell, there are no FSX/P3D models for: Gripen E/F, H-36 Caracal, C/P-95 Bandeirante and Bandeirulha, C-97 Brasilia, HM-1 Pantera (AS565), Neiva T-25 Universal, or the RPAS - and I've no doubt there are others missing from these lists!

Other than Anapolis, there exists a couple of MAIW AFCADS for Rio (SBGL), Alfonsos (SBAF) which were updated for Matrix to P3Dv4 format. I've done a quick'n'dirty update for these and SBGP (Embraer's facility at Gavião Peixoto), SBPV Porto Velho), SBSC (Santa Cruz), and SBYS (BAF Academy at Campo Fontanelle).

One thing that is very obvious when visiting Brazil in-sim is that the FSX/P3D mesh is dire. Fortunately, Orbx does a freeware South America mesh thta improves it husgely, and means that Anapolis is not sitting on what looks like a 3700ft-tall mesa! If you want to do Brazil, get it via the Orbx Central app, available here: https://orbxdirect.com/central

SBAN FSX without SA mesh:

SBAN FSX with SA mesh:

f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

I did the F-5EM/FM, the Orion P-3AM some years ago for FS9 ? you can find them with the OWLNEST "ai aircraft reference"
I have converted textures for FSX and P3Dv4 if needed.
there are lots of "missing" textures available on the OWLNEST if you search Brazil.