WSMG F-16

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: WSMG F-16

Post by Firebird »

You may get them, Joseph but we have not discussed them at all so I can't be more definite than that.

However, it must be said that these were the work of Mike JG. He did not convert them because he only had FS9.

So for P3D versions of those would have to be built by Kev. Same as he would do for the block 60s.
Kev would say that the biggest obstacle at the moment is probably that the paints. They would need to be redone in 2048x2048.

At the moment, Kev is working on block 50/52 stuff and starting to look at the requirements for block 70. He recently finished some block 30/40 work for the IDFAF.
He has not mentioned any other plans that he may have.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Firebird wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 11:45However, it must be said that these were the work of Mike JG. He did not convert them because he only had FS9.
Ok, I did not know this.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Are we recommending 2048 x 2048 textures for P3D? I've always stuck with 1024 x 1024, being a quarter of the size, storage-wise.

John
Jorgen
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Jorgen »

I read "somewhere" (sorry, can't remember exactly where) that 2048 x 2048 were optimal for P3D, and there actually is a utility that will convert textures from bmp to dds, convert into 2048 x 2048 and mipmap all in one fell swoop.

The utility is called TextureOptimizer, and I believe the discussion was somewhere on AIG. I have the utility, and it's kind of DOS-like to operate, but it works just fine.

Jorgen
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I think I may have got myself confused somewhere and thought that Kev's textures were originally 2048, but having double-checked what I can see I appear to mistaken and that they are indeed 1024.

What I got mixed up with was that all the textures need to be redone for 32bit so that they can be converted for DD5.

Apologies for the confusion and I have hit myself around the head.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Yeah its not a 2048 x 2048 issue.

FS9 textures are generally saved as DXT to save space, but we have found that this is not a 100% loss-less process. Some detail is lost.
Converting these to DDS would create more problems.
Therefore we need the original 32 bit (or even 24 bit) BMP textures to convert to DDS.
That's what is going to limit what can done ahead of others.