Scenery and supporting AI for John's KC-390

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Scenery and supporting AI for John's KC-390

Post by TimC340 »

Now I have an FTP folder on the server, I've uploaded the WIP P3D and FSX versions of SBAN. The FSX version is not yet a conversion of the P3D version, so don't expect to see it as it appears in the P3D screenshots I've shared. You'll need the MAIW Global libraries. Where appropriate, all my own models are within the obj files. I've also uploaded my modified stock and MAIW AFCADS for several Brazilian airfields. SBBR is a notable exception as I've been using a freeware scenery which uses a highly modified AFCAD which I can't share with you; I will modify the stock AFCAD to include the military parking I'm using.

If you download any of this please understand that none of it is yet complete and may give issues in-sim. However, I'd value any feedback even bearing that in mind. I'm particularly keen to see how the P3D airfield performs on less powerful systems than I'm running, as I may be getting a distorted view of how well it behaves!

There won't be an FS9 version of any of this, but I'm very happy if anyone wants to attempt a conversion. However, I suspect my scenery will be far too complex for FS9. I'm already considering how I will simplify it for FSX - which may provide a more acceptable source for an FS9 conversion.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Tim, what I will need here is:

1. Some way of getting to the FTP folder :D and

2. Your system specs for comparison purposes.

Jorgen
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

If I maybe so bold, Why do you need access to the FTP server?
Steve
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

TimC340 wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 10:01 Now I have an FTP folder on the server, I've uploaded the WIP P3D and FSX versions of SBAN. The FSX version is not yet a conversion of the P3D version, so don't expect to see it as it appears in the P3D screenshots I've shared. You'll need the MAIW Global libraries. Where appropriate, all my own models are within the obj files. I've also uploaded my modified stock and MAIW AFCADS for several Brazilian airfields. SBBR is a notable exception as I've been using a freeware scenery which uses a highly modified AFCAD which I can't share with you; I will modify the stock AFCAD to include the military parking I'm using.

If you download any of this please understand that none of it is yet complete and may give issues in-sim. However, I'd value any feedback even bearing that in mind. I'm particularly keen to see how the P3D airfield performs on less powerful systems than I'm running, as I may be getting a distorted view of how well it behaves!

There won't be an FS9 version of any of this, but I'm very happy if anyone wants to attempt a conversion. However, I suspect my scenery will be far too complex for FS9. I'm already considering how I will simplify it for FSX - which may provide a more acceptable source for an FS9 conversion.

Tim, maybe this should of been a private message to those that are working on the BAF package ?
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Ray. I don’t think anyone is going to get any access to anything they shouldn’t as a result of my post. Only those who already have FTP access (which I assume includes quite a few who’ve contributed in this thread) can act upon it. But if I’ve spoken out of turn, I apologise.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Jorgen wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 14:05 Tim, what I will need here is:

1. Some way of getting to the FTP folder :D and

2. Your system specs for comparison purposes.

Jorgen
It’s not ready for the wider community, Jorgen, even for testing. When it is, it’ll be posted loud and clear. I apologise for raising expectations publicly in my earlier post.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Maybe I should clarify for people out there.
The FTP server is there for people working on collaborative projects so that they can easily share what needs to be shared to progress a project.

Some work gets finished, some does not. We have found over the years that people are more productive when they are left to work to their own devices. They are free to open up to testers and the wider audience only when, and how, they see fit.

It is a mechanism for work not some secret perk. It is not a place where new toys are stored before they are available.
Steve
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Received loud and clear, Tim. I'll jump on it when available.

Jorgen
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

just a quick question, does FAB still use the EMB-314 ?
its says on wiki there are 30 but on scramble the latest active service seen is 2011 ?
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by geoffj »

Ray, Scramble has 92 A-29A/B active with latest sightings Apr 23.

Geoff
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, they do Ray. Scramble is far from up-to-date about Brazil. The aircraft was still in the delivery phase in 2011 (last one of 99 delivered in 2012). Flight's 'World Air Forces 2023' review says 62 remain in service, and they are based at Natal (SBNT), Porto Velho (SBPV), Campo Grande (SBCG), and Boa Vista (SBBV). I've done AFCADs for all of these.
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by geoffj »

Ray, Tim,

Slight correction to Tim's email - page 14 of the review lists Brazil with 30 Attack Emb 314 (A-29A) and 62 Trainer Emb-314 (A-29B). In Jun 23 a mid life upgrade was announced so many years in them yet!

cheers,

Geoff
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

WOW thanks for the reply guys, Tim have we got time for me to paint them ? or is the package getting too big.
i see Mark Griggs has painted a single texture on the MGAI Embraer A-29 Super Tucano.
but I have the paint kit.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Ray. Go for it! John’s well into writing traffic files for the 99s and 390s at the moment. I’ve still got work to do on SBAN and a few more supporting AFCADs. We’ve been looking at third-party freeware sceneries as well to see what we can recommend.

So, there’s no hard time limit. I haven’t even looked at traffic files for the paints you’ve already done (though the F-5 and P-3 are covered by old files).

Given the need to collate everything, test it, document it and then fix whatever’s broken, I’d hope to go live by the end of March.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

92 A-29s, if we were to include them all, would take a lot of flight planning work, assuming we don't have them already. I'm finding the flight planning for the C/VC/E and R-99s a little tricky, with Scramble leading me astray. I need to check each flight too that the destination has the right parking and that the aircraft appear where they should, when they should. For the A-29s, maybe a few destination waypoints at low altitude would useful?

Could we just check please what flight planning still needs to be done across the FAB aircraft that we are featuring and who is doing what?" We can then call for volunteers if we need to.

It might be useful too, if we were to standardise the file names. For the "99s", I'm using "Traffic_Mil_Brazil_99s and KC-390s_FSX", but I can change that if we prefer another convention.

John
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Just as an idea, I would name my flight plan like this:

Traffic_BrazAF_KC-390_C-99_Wi23-34

To me, this explains what air force, which aircraft, and when I added the plan to my plans library. The last part is important when you have almost 19,000 flight plans, airlines, GA, military...

Jorgen
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I was really asking the people who are contributing flight plans to the Brazil project - hence "who's doing what" in my previous post. The MAIW convention was to distinguish military from civil, hence "Mil" in my file name, then country or air force, then type, then unit. I don't know what "Wi23-24 means. Are you providing anything Jorgen?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi John,
He is following the WoAI style of naming. Wi23-24 means Winter schedule 2023-2024. Kinda superfluous for Mil stuff.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi all.

The existing MAIW Brazil traffic files use a variety of naming protocols. For example, this is what I have in my setup:

Traffic_MAIW_EAP_BRAZIL_FSX ------------- HTAI C-130 traffic

Traffic_JYAI_C-130_Brazil_FSX --------------JYAI C-130 traffic

Traffic_BRAZILIAN P-3AM_FSX -------------- JAI P-3 traffic

Traffic_BRAZILIAN F5's_FSX ------------------JAI F-5E/F traffic

Traffic_Brazilian Navy Lynxes---------------JYAI Lynx traffic

Traffic_Brazil_Mirage_2000_FSX------------FMAI Mirage 2000 Traffic (the basis for the Saab F-39 files)(I think this may be my name for it, not the original!)

Traffic_Super-Tucano-Brasil-SBBV_FSX ---- MGAI Super Tucano traffic (4-off, one for each A-29 base)

For my self-authored traffic files, I use a very simple system of 'Traffic - country/operator - aircraft type - sim', as in this example:

Traffic_Brazil_JAS-39E_PV5

I don't really care what naming system we use - I'll probably change it for my own installation anyway - but I do care that they get done! For the A-29s, I have traffic files for all of the bases (presumably written by Mark?) and it should be straightforward to convert them to the individual aircraft that Ray may produce. The same adaptive process should work for the P-3 and F-5, with a bit of research to thin them out a bit, reflecting the reduced numbers in service.

So, as I understand it, these are the current plans in progress:

KC-390 - John
C/E/R-99 - John
C-98/98B - John

Lear 35 - Me
C-295M - Me
Phenom 100 - Me
A319 - Me
F-39 - Me (Conversion from Mirage 2000)
A-29 - Me )Conversion from individual base files)
F-5 - Me (Conversion job)
P-3 - Me (Conversion job)

I don't have files for the AMX and A-4, neither of which should be too onerous. Nor do I have anything for most helicopters, T-27 (still in service as the stage 2 trainer), Lear 55/60, Bandeirante, Brasilia, and probably a few others. Volunteers welcome!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

To add to the conversation, these are the airfields I have created AFCADs for, and which can be used for traffic planning. That doesn't stop other airfields being used. John has discovered some nice freeware sceneries which we'll at least reference in the documentation, however my AFCADs will cover pretty much every Brazilian airport we're likely to need.

SBAF
SBAN
SBBR
SBBV
SBES
SBFL
SBGL
SBGP
SBGR
SBNT
SBPV
SBSC