FS9 Installation Issue

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

FS9 Installation Issue

Post by BadPvtDan »

When I was doing my installation, there was some file..I believe it had to do with Tokyo...that would not load. I told the installer to skip it and the rest of the install went fine. I googled the problem and saw that this had been a documented problem but I did not find a solution.

Well, I am now seeing that I cannot load anything at KSFO or KOAK. The program dies when loading terrain. Does anyone know a fix to this issue or perhaps the files that would be associated with that part of the US?

TIA!
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Well Dan, I haven't tried this myself but have a look at this page http://windowsitpro.com/article/article ... -file.html

It tells you how to use the command to expand the files. Now I don't know if FS9 copies the files first and then expands them or straight expands them to your hard disk. However looking on disk4 you should be able to match up the number of folders you have in your \scenery folder.

Of course if you have winrar you can also use that to extract them if you have it set to recognise .cab files.

Let me know how you get on or if you need more help.
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Thanks Steve I will give this a try this weekend. Damn install!!! :)
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Dan, found this website which also lists the files on each disk which might make it easier to work out what is missing or has not been extracted. http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/faq001.html
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

OK it looks like my Tokyo.cab is corrupted. I unzipped the file to WinZip but it stopped and gave me that message. Any other ideas? :cry:
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

OK more weirdness. I was able to access the files from my old installation and I copied the texture files from the Tokyo folder and now...I have textures on the ground. I still can't access anything on the west coast of the US, however. I copied the files from NAMW but that didn't work.

Any idea which files affect the West coast?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well there might be some cities that didn't unpack properly, but it sounds more like that the west coast is not activated, maybe due to the interruption of the install.

I have deleted all but the default scenery layers and created a cfg file for you. Use a compare proggy to check your first 38 layers against that.
Attachments
SCENERY_for_dan.cfg
(4.31 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Thanks Steve. I am off to check. I knew I should have made copies of these CDs years ago.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

OK the only difference I see here is that in Area 11 of your config...the layer jumps to 12. In my config...the layer stays at 11. So from that point on, our layers are different but that is it. Everything else is equal...well, that and the data is not in the same order.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this tidbit. I can get to the West Coast at night...but not during the day.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

So, I am not very smart. It looks like it was a wayward add-on scenery that I added. This is painful!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sorry, Dan. Are you saying that you've found the cause, or that you think its an addon?
Steve
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

I found the cause, Steve. It was my Oakland scenery. When transferring files over from the old machine, I am somehow losing files. I don't know why. I am simply copying and pasting through my home network.

Thanks so much for the help!