Just playing a bit with FSDS

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
max2202

Post by max2202 »

Are you working on a MiG-21? I'm seriously thinking on starting on the MiG-21 after this, or the MiG-23. Do you know how many models where made for the MiG-21, unbelievable! It's also made as the J-7 in China, amazing aircraft.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

When you get to that point, we may be able to help with XML. The modelers have lots of things they might share.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
sprocky
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by sprocky »

max2202 wrote:It's also made as the J-7 in China, amazing aircraft.
And if I remember correctly a modified variant of the J-7 is
still in production :shock:
Jan
Former technician in MFG2 at ETME (home base of PANAVIA The flying computer TORNADO. sadly closed now)
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

Guys, there are 2 AI Mig-21s available already.

Mehlin Rainer's excellent 7-LOD MiG-21 model
Hrvoje Kovacevic's GMax Mig-21

Michael Pearson has done a grunch of repaints for both.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Ford the problem is that I don't believe we have permission to use those models. I could be wrong but I think if we did have permission, we would have used them in a package already. So in that case they are virtually useless to MAIW.

Lemme check if we have permission to use them or not.

Anyways this is a thread drift that I started unintentionally so let's not take away from Max's model with a MIG-21 discussion.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

MIKE JG wrote:Ford the problem is that I don't believe we have permission to use those models. So in that case they are virtually useless to MAIW.
That's certainly one perspective.

Another is that I already have all of the AI Mig-21s released/painted thus far flying in my sim. I am sure that I am not the only one.

But, I do believe in modellers modelling whatever they are interested in although that feeling is somewhat in conflict with hating to see duplication - in this case, triplication - of effort.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Ford Friendly on 18 Oct 2008, 06:03, edited 2 times in total.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Well I certainly stand corrected. :oops: It appears that we do have Mehlin Rainer's permission to use his models.

Max by all means do the Mig-21 if you want to but it does appear that we have use of one already if need be.
-Mike G.

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'd love a an AI Blackjack...
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I must admit that there are loadsa things that I would to see modeled and I will admit to being almost obsessed with the types I wanted and nothing else.
However one of the things that my time hanging around in here has taught me is that I have learned to appreciate each new type released, for its own merits, plus of course it means that the list of aircraft yet to be done is smaller and therefore the ones I would most like to see are nearer.

The art of Zen and AI?
Steve
max2202

Post by max2202 »

I'm getting there with the texture mappings. The cutting and joining tip works great. Just need to figure out the FDE, maybe someone can help me with that?

And another question. If you make swept wings, can you control that with XML. So you have two flaps, one the real flaps, and the other as the swept wings?

Thanks
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

max2202 wrote: And another question. If you make swept wings, can you control that with XML. So you have two flaps, one the real flaps, and the other as the swept wings?

Thanks
Do you mean "swing wings" like the F-111? If so Nick Black is your man as he used them on the F-14.

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
max2202

Post by max2202 »

VulcanDriver wrote:
max2202 wrote: And another question. If you make swept wings, can you control that with XML. So you have two flaps, one the real flaps, and the other as the swept wings?

Thanks
Do you mean "swing wings" like the F-111? If so Nick Black is your man as he used them on the F-14.

John
Yes, I mean swing wings. I'm just wondering what to start next, I want to take it a step further. So maybe a Flogger or a Blackjack.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'd like to see an AI Blackjack. Shoot Nick a PM, I'm sure he will help you.
John

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Max the man you want to talk to about the FDE is Michael MacIntyre. He's done pretty much all the MAIW models FDE setups and really knows his stuff. I'm sure if he has the time, he could help you.

Try sending him a PM, his username is "mikewmac".
-Mike G.

max2202

Post by max2202 »

I've finished LOD 1, only missing a pilot :P

The only problem is that ACM 2.5 is showing 4657 polygons. Is this acceptable? Or should I try and reduce is to around 3500?

Thank.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'd say for LOD 1 its OK as its quite a complex shape.

John
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Like John said its good. Is there anything to do other than the pilot? Speedbrake for example.
Steve
max2202

Post by max2202 »

I don't believe the MiG-25 has a speedbreak, only a parachute I think. I just need to change some texture mappings and change the keymapping of the front gear. Thats about it.
swp53
Captain
Captain

Post by swp53 »

Hi max2202,
Well the Mig 25UB definately does have a speed brake between the tail fins.
I have a video clip of a Mig25UB takeoff/landing but it is 11.3mb. If I can find a link to where I got it I will post.
Regards,
Steve.
Last edited by swp53 on 20 Oct 2008, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
Past Beta Tester
max2202

Post by max2202 »

swp53 wrote:Hi max2202,
Well the Mig 25UB definately does have a speed brake between the tail fins.
Regards,
Steve.
I missed something then, but you are right.

Thank you.